Rattlesnake Bite.....with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattlesnake Bite.....with pics

All this water has brought out the snakes. Sophie, our Westy, took a big hit yesterday from a pretty large rattler. I don't think she ever saw the thing because she was bitten on the back of her leg. Lost control of all bodily functions and went into convulsions almost immediately. Fortunately, our vet is right across the street and my wife got her there in under five minutes after the bite. She's in pretty bad shape and still in doggy hospital right now, but should come home this evening or tomorrow....after two rounds of antivenin and $2,500+. I have pet insurance which will cover most of the cost.

Moral of the story -
    >Get your dogs trained for snake avoidance
    >Get pet insurance, it's cheap
    >Live close to your vet if you can

did u kill the snake?

Comment

Glad she made it

Comment

Originally posted by blntrey3 View Post
        did u kill the snake?
        I was at work, the wife was home alone and more worried about getting the convulsing dog to the vet than killing the snake. I did go hunting for it when I got home, but no luck. I'll be snake hunting with the Diana this weekend.

Comment

Sorry to hear, hope the pooch makes a full recovery. Also glad you had insurance. $2,500 WOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Glad she made it
            x2

Hope she makes a full recovery. She did her job of find the danger and protecting the family.

Comment

glad the dogs gonna make it

Comment

Prayers for your dog and wife...And yes before anybody brings it up..I WOULD have paid double that to save my dogs..

Comment

Glad to hear the dog will make it. If they make it through the first one that usually is pretty good for future bites. Shouldn't react as bad the next time around.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pence View Post
                    Prayers for your dog and wife...And yes before anybody brings it up..I WOULD have paid double that to save my dogs..
                    I agree. Some people don't see the value in a good dog, some people do.

Comment

I get my dogs the rattlesnake vaccine and we don't even have rattlesnakes. Pet insurance is great too. Hope your dogs well.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pence View Post
                        Same here. Without question.

Comment

I need to look into this "pet insurance"... you all have a recommended company?

Comment

Feel bad for your dog......been through that before with a dog......but glad to hear the dog is on the road to recovery.........

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                              I need to look into this "pet insurance"... you all have a recommended company?
                              We have Pets Best. $500 deductible then they cover 75% after that, up to $20,000. Here's a list of them for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X