No announcement yet.

A question for some one who knows the ASA rules better then me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of loopholes and the ability for state or national reps to GIVE someone a "free ride" to the state or world shoots. Those who travel and follow the rules are the ones who get **** on.
    It is a business , and the business owners can make the rules and break them.
    It would be nice to see a clear cut set of rules , that could and would be enforced across the board. A few DQ's and everyone would start doing their part to conform

Comment

As most of you know I have been very busy finishing a school project and I have not been on here in several days....no weeks.

As state director I need to weigh in on this topic.

I spoke with TGrant and recommended that he call Dee on this issue. The shooter in question should NOT have received a bye. Its the state directors responsibility to research a shooters reasons and abilities when a bye is requested.

Here in Texas I have issued a total of 3 byes to the state championship and recommended only one bye to the Classic in 6 years. In each case I considered the reason for the bye and shooting history of the shooters. I have turned down many more byes than I have issued. Were the shooters I turned down upset....absolutely....but they did not deserve a bye and I refused their request.

If a shooter cannot attend at least one (two if they did not finish in the top 10 or the top 50% of their class) of 20 state qualifiers. They better have either:

1. Have had an injury that did not allow them to compete.
      2. Have been working out of state or country.
      3. Have had some kind on severe family hardship.

I don't really think "working a shoot" is an excuse because we have 19 or 20 more available unless it was state, but I would consider this situation.

Even if a shooter falls in one of the categories above I will still look at his or her shooting history. If I feel they are a "lock in" to win or place high they will NOT be shooting in our state championship. Again. My responsibility, my decision.

As far as the comment about concerns falling on deaf ears. I cannot speak for everyone's experiences at the national shoots but we listen to the shooters and we enforce rules to the best of our ability at the state level. We have more changes in the works for 2012 based on our survery and shooters comments. Dave. Your input has gone into these changes as well.

It was announced at the directors meeting that Texas led in every catagory for 2012. Most ASA clubs, most total participants, most shooters qualified for state, most shooters at a state championship.

One catagory that they did not announce was most disqualified shooters. We disqualified 8 shooters in 2011 which led the nation by far. I am not proud of this but it does show we try to the best of our ability to enfore the rules.

Have a great hunting season. We will see ya'll next year.
      Last edited by Arrowsmith; 08-11-2011, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Ya know...

I was going to keep to myself on this one, but it seems that I keep getting drug back into conversations I have only had a mild connection with...at no time this year did you see or hear me ask for scores from any shoot...why? because I was unable to compete for the SOY award in my home state this year...so I didn't care what the scores were...my experience with "national" ASA is, and was, negative......so you might be able to see where I'm coming from...personally, I'm surprised that anyone at the national level admitted that there even was a mistake made...and the lack of action on their part to correct it tells volumes about the process...Mike, I have no problems about the way our state is run...you do a good job, and shoulder alot of responsibility doing it...you're to be commended, but that's where it ends...if the powers that be were to take the problems on with your zeal and committment, there would be none of this discussion.

Comment

Working...
        X