Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 08-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
AxisAddict
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country
Default Fall Away Arrow Rests?

As I get ready for the upcoming hunting season, more and more arrows are going through the bow. Unfortunately, though I seem to have the bow dialed, either my form or my arrows (Carbon Express PileDriver Hunters) are REALLY doing a number on my arrow rest. I use a, seemingly antiquated, "analog" arrow rest and am left handed. I do my best to keep the amount of technology on my bow down to a "sporting" level. ...Ok, that's just a fancy way of saying I'm still coming up in life and funds are limited. However, a fall away rest really seems to appeal to me at the moment. Any Green Screen insight on the subject? Am I chasing a cure for a bigger problem or have I just begun to shoot with enough frequency that this kindof thing happen. Is it more of a pain to tune than it's worth? I'm still a relative newbie, so please be gentle (or make the jokes GOOD). Thanks for any help.

Last edited by AxisAddict; 08-05-2018 at 10:44 PM.
AxisAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

I would not hesitate to buy a used QAD HDX, you can pick them up all day long for 50-75 dollars and are the best cable driven rests on the market imo. When properly installed they are completely dependable and offer the benefits of full containment, great clearance and the ability to lock the arrow in the ďupĒ position while at brace. Iíve had several new bows over the years but have not bought a new rest in over six years as
I just move the other two QADís to the new bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 12:36 AM   #3
dbelcher269
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River County, Lamar County

As stated the QADs are a great rest. Also look at Ripcord or my personal favorite a Limbdriver Pro V. If you haven’t checked out ArcheryTalk yet they have a pretty extensive classifieds section for used equipment as do several of the Facebook groups. Some rest are easier to set up than others, but a little you tube searching will show you all you need to know if you don’t want to go to a good pro shop for whatever reason (I’d recommend the pro shop though if you’re new to setting up a bow). There’s nothing more frustrating than having your arrows all over the place.

Last edited by dbelcher269; 08-06-2018 at 12:39 AM.
dbelcher269 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 12:47 AM   #4
AxisAddict
Four Point

Thanks for the help gentlemen. Agreed, nothing more frustrating than a wild group of arrows. I spent my first couple of months in the sport doing that and it almost put me off of the pursuit with a bow. Shame on me. I suppose I have a bit of a sour tooth on used gear. That probably stems from my rock climbing days when you had to know "EVERYTHING THAT EVER HAPPENED to a particular piece of gear or you would die" and my recent attachment to the 1920 engraved shotgun post. Perhaps I just need to get over myself. TBH has gotten me this far and I couldn't be more grateful!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 AM   #5
Outlaw_6
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LA and "The H"

QADís are great rests and I used them for years. However, I now prefer Hamskea.
Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 06:49 AM   #6
hogslayer78
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine

Qad, limbdriver pro v, and nap apache. My son has 2 qad's, one on each of his bows and loves them. I have a nap apache on one that I have been shooting 5 years, and zero issues with it and I love it. I think they are all made pretty good these days, so its gonna come down to budget.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 06:58 AM   #7
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
Qad, limbdriver pro v, and nap apache. My son has 2 qad's, one on each of his bows and loves them. I have a nap apache on one that I have been shooting 5 years, and zero issues with it and I love it. I think they are all made pretty good these days, so its gonna come down to budget.
Here's another vote for the NAP Apache. I've been shooting one for 6 years, and I've never had an issue with it. It just simply works......
HeyMikey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #8
ReaperManATX
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Nationwide

As a professional technician, you're def on the right track heading toward the drop-away technology. You'll experience more un-affected flight as well as much less wear and tear on the fletches/vanes of your arrows. Best wishes bud!!
ReaperManATX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #9
xman59
Pope & Young

never been a fan of the qad rest,,( I have seen hundreds of issues with them),,, the nap apache has proven to be very reliable, the limb driver pro v is my choice if I use a fall away most of the time,,,, but I am an old bird with steady hands,, I still use the whisker biscuit because it has been 100% all the time.....
xman59 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

After wearing out several WB whiskers over the years I switched to a QAD hunter last year and couldn't be happier with it.
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #11
Bigdaddy
Ten Point

Qad no doubt
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #12
cabo390
Four Point

I tried a limbdriver pro V and hated it: arrow rattled around in it, difficult to keep the arrow in place if shooting at an angle, felt like the string could get caught in brush. Went back to a WB.
cabo390 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #13
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

My QAD is with the manufacturer for repair at the moment. They are taking care of me which is good but had it died in Oct. I'd be an unhappy camper.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #14
slicktricker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land

Too bad you're a lefty or I'd have a vital gear drop away that I would give you.
slicktricker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #15
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Well, you probably already know this but...

A fall away rest just masks some of the more harsh reaction that comes with not following through when you release the string.. or torque... or any number of things that inconsistent form will bring out.

A fall away rest comes with the risk of adding yet another mechanical, moving part, that requires special timing to your setup. A point of failure as it were (rest doesn't drop, or drops at the wrong time, etc.)

Fixed rests do wear, but for the most part, they are very consistent.

So, it is a tradeoff. Forgiveness vs risk of failure. Honestly, I don't see fixed vs fall-away having much to do with "sporting level" of the setup. If you got a compound bow with mechanical release... a fall-away rest isn't going to really deflect much on the "sporting" needle. Not that anybody, but you, should give a darn about the "sportiness" of a setup.

So, if you don't like to tinker, or you don't like to visit the bow shop regularly to have somebody take a look at your rig... I'd shy away from it. If you want to buy some forgiveness at the risk of having yet another thing to think about or deal with... then get one.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #16
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

I have a CMAX rest, I think it's a G5 product, I never could get it to work correctly on a Elite Judge I think because of the short brace height.

Anyway, I'll look this afternoon and see if it will work for a lefty, if so I'll send it to you. I'm using a Limbdriver on my E35.
Razorback01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #17
AxisAddict
Four Point

Wow! You guys are too kind. Being lefty is a blessing and a curse. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #18
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Only fall away rest I have experience with is the ripcord. I love it and have zero complaints about it except for the little bit of wiggle room for your arrow while in the locked position, but hunting in a stand your bow is hung or sitting in the corner before we go to shoot so there is no issue there for me to switch. For years I shot whisker biscuits and still they are my favorite all purpose rest, i just switched to a drop away after shooting longer distances they are definitely more accurate as there is no contact with the arrow during flight even though I have more Robin hoods with the biscuits than I do with the ripcord. Honestly I think when it comes to rests, they are all sufficient minus a few, it’s more just preference and intended use.
diamond10x is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #19
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Sorry AA, the CMAX I have is a right-hand only unit.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #20
dk_ace
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson and Lamar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Well, you probably already know this but...

A fall away rest just masks some of the more harsh reaction that comes with not following through when you release the string.. or torque... or any number of things that inconsistent form will bring out.

A fall away rest comes with the risk of adding yet another mechanical, moving part, that requires special timing to your setup. A point of failure as it were (rest doesn't drop, or drops at the wrong time, etc.)

Fixed rests do wear, but for the most part, they are very consistent.

So, it is a tradeoff. Forgiveness vs risk of failure. Honestly, I don't see fixed vs fall-away having much to do with "sporting level" of the setup. If you got a compound bow with mechanical release... a fall-away rest isn't going to really deflect much on the "sporting" needle. Not that anybody, but you, should give a darn about the "sportiness" of a setup.

So, if you don't like to tinker, or you don't like to visit the bow shop regularly to have somebody take a look at your rig... I'd shy away from it. If you want to buy some forgiveness at the risk of having yet another thing to think about or deal with... then get one.
There are some tuning and mechanical considerations with a cable driven rest like the QAD. There are no tuning issues with a limb driven rest like a hamskea and the mechanical issues to be concerned about are close to nothing. The cable getting cut is about the only thing that can happen that canít happen to a stationary rest, and you are using a bow which runs on strings and cables so a cable in the system isnít a new risk. You can use steel cable if it bothers you.

Iíve found the limb driven rests (I prefer the hamskeas) to be bullet proof. The setup is as easy as any rest. When you draw the bow, the tension comes off of the rest cable as the limb bends and the rest rises When you release, the limb pulls the rest out of the way.

They arenít fickle and you wonít need to be going to the bow shop repeatedly. You donít need to tinker with them either, set them up and just get to shooting.

Some people report that they shoot higher scores when switching to a fall away rest. Many tournament archers have tried both and stayed with a blade rest. I think accuracy differences are probably different respective to the shooter. I like how they allow me to run any fletching configuration I want without worrying about rest clearance. Iíve not noticed a difference in accuracy that can be directly attributed to the rest type for me and my shooting.

D
dk_ace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 07:03 PM   #21
AxisAddict
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post
Sorry AA, the CMAX I have is a right-hand only unit.
No worries, Brother, I appreciate the thought!
Old 08-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #22
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

NEVER, knock on wood, and I mean NEVER had a fall away fail on me. I started with the Barner Inertia rest, first fall away on the market and have shot the Ripcord and QAD with no problems Also shot a Limbdriver with no problems and I have hunted a lot of places without any failures. Honestly, I would not use a WB unless I was paid a lot of $ to do so! Just my opinion. Sorry WB users!
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #23
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

I'd like to put a WB in my bag for emergencies but even the small version looks like it would be too big for the micro diameter VAP TKO's I shoot.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #24
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
I'd like to put a WB in my bag for emergencies but even the small version looks like it would be too big for the micro diameter VAP TKO's I shoot.
the hole does not hurt in the least if it is larger than the arrow,,, name one arrow rest that holds the top of the shaft? no fall away contacts the top, the old plunger and spoon rests did not contact the top of the shaft, no "lizard tongue or spring steel rests does either, a larger hole than the shaft is a must,,,, not a problem,,,, gravity always pulls the arrow to the bottom anyway,,,,,, you simply need to set the rest up properly so that the arrow is not pointing down hill because of the larger hole
xman59 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #25
h_town_ags
Nubbin' Buck

can't go wrong with QAD
h_town_ags is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #26
Fat Pappy
Ten Point

QAD Pro.
Fat Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #27
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Got my QAD back from repair. Just cost me shipping.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #28
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Never had to pay shipping on my LimbDriver, never had a reason to get it fixed.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:53 PM   #29
toddg
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Runnels County
Thumbs up

Another vote for QAD
toddg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #30
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

Ripcord failed on me last season. Tring a limbdriver pro purchased here used this year. Still tring to get all dialed in again, but the rest seems fine.
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #31
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

QAD and Limbdriver -

Neither one has ever given me a bit of trouble. Easy to set up, easy to tune, and they stay that way.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top