• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LloydMcCoy View Post
    Nothing ever. I have a firearm. And I can use it
    That does nothin for diarrhea!

Comment

When I was younger and hunting public land, I went to do some preseason scouting in the Trinity river bottom. I had walked in what seemed like a couple miles when I nearly stepped on a coiled up copper head. Realized that I better start watching where I put my feet. That is when I started seeing another snake every 10 or 15 feet! I turned around and started back to the truck and must have counted 50 snakes on the way out. Never went back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyhuck View Post
        Ive had a couple of situations where I just get the feeling that something it out there, and I skin out ASAP. Its usually on my way back to the truck, so I guess its technically not causing me to leave, more like speeding up the process. The place I hunt is super thick 25 yr old undrgrowth and on still evenings when the crickets and everything get silent, its a little eerie. Especially when the brush is too thick for your flashlight to shine much further than a few feet in.
        My place is super thick too and it is pretty difficult to make that walk in the mornings especially when it is foggy outside!

Comment

What has made you leave the woods?

People. Too many people.

And yes this is a 2011 thread. Somebody had to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
            Sorry... got nothing

I've spent weeks alone in the mountains and deep woods when I was a young man and I've never heard or seen anything that scared me.. I've been scared plenty of times by situations I got myself into but never by anything running around in the woods... But I've never had a fear of dying... only of being crippled...
            Yep . I've heard plenty of strange sounds from animals, never once scared me. More curious than anything. In 2009, me my father and a friend were skinning a elk, and kept hearing something, but nobody could pinpoint what it was. About 15 min later, a black bear walked in on us. Nobody left. Just watched him, and kept working. On the way out his footprints were over the top of ours, where he had followed us in.
            Some people just scary

Comment

Crossfire from the neighbors deer hunting. Did you know you can hear rifle bullets as they go through the air close to you? One of the scariest moments of my life.

Comment

One time when I was about 13 -15[ dad always dropped me off at grandpa's & I would ride my bike to the bayou] I was walking along chocolate bayou in Brazoria county. There were ricefields all down it & a strip of woods bordering the bayou. I would go down there & hunt ducks,geese rabbits skirls, you name it. Always had a Iver Johnson single shot 20 ga or 22 auto. Nothing ever bothered me in the woods. I wade in and race gators to my ducks, don't even think about snakes while out, walk anywhere in the dark etc. You know young & dumb and fear ain;t in the vocabulary. And still do all those things. LOL! One time though I was walking in the woods hunting & something or should I say a sense made me stop. I just felt like something was watching me. Couldn't see or hear anything,but then I noticed that the woods were quiet, I mean QUIET! No birds ,no sounds,just nothing. I started getting uneasy & then just couldn't stand it anymore. I walked out into the rice where I could see everything. To this day I have never felt that again. It was eerie & spooky.i went back in there the next day & of course no issue. Probably wasn't anything there, but for whatever reason something told me to get out of there at that time.
                Last edited by DUKFVR; 08-14-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

My oldest boy was just about talking, hes 26 now. I'm out hunting, sitting in a tree and all I have on my mind is my son Joe with a sock over his hand trying to say hello and tickle your nose. I felt selfish where I was and where he was at in development. I packed it up and went home and spent every spare moment I had with him after that. That season only
                  Dang brat had to be born in November?

Comment

I had a copper head crawl across my boots in a popup blind. I headed to a tree stand shortly after that.

Comment

Nightfall, lightning storms, no deer movement.

Comment

Had a bullet smack a tree right outside my box blind window. I took that as time to go back to camp. My dad went to the lease next door and found out some dipchit next door shot up hill, missed his target and missed me by about a foot. My stand was on top of a hill about 200 yards off the fence line facing a flat down the bottom of the other side of the hill. This idiot was sitting on the ground in the brush facing directly toward my stand about 50 yards off the fence line. That scared the chit out of me. I do still have the slug that was embedded in the tree somewhere in my gun cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                          Had a bullet smack a tree right outside my box blind window. I took that as time to go back to camp. My dad went to the lease next door and found out some dipchit next door shot up hill, missed his target and missed me by about a foot. My stand was on top of a hill about 200 yards off the fence line facing a flat down the bottom of the other side of the hill. This idiot was sitting on the ground in the brush facing directly toward my stand about 50 yards off the fence line. That scared the chit out of me. I do still have the slug that was embedded in the tree somewhere in my gun cabinet.
                          Sounds like what happened to me. Except there was about 6 shots.

Comment

I've had lightning run me off of the high mts of Colorado more than once!

lightning has run me out of a tree stand.

Some idiot shooting multiple shots down range that came across the fence and was whistling through the limbs of the tree that I was sitting in! ( I didn't know if it would be safer to stay up in the tree, or to get down on the ground!)

Comment

One weekend we had 8" of rain during the week. I take my four wheeler down thru the lower pasture and it is 1' deep over 100 acres. I drive back and work my way around. As I'm driving back to camp my legs, arms and chest start itching and burning. I get to camp and pull my pants down and I look like a gecko with thousands of bumps all over. Drove two miserable hours home and put the four wheeler in the garage. Stripped down and took a hot shower. The next morning I walk thru the garage and got hit again. Strip and shower again. Having a hard time breathing so I go to the minor emergency clinic. The doctor said I had more chigger bites than he had ever seen. Put me on steroids and Ibuprophin.

I'm not scared of anything I can hear, see or smell. These things are stealth. I can only think they were floating on the surface like you see ants do when it floods.

Thank god for briefs and not boxers!

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                                Never had anything scare me enough to leave the woods, but was in a creek bottom hunting out of brushblind one morning and listened to what I assume was a rabbit getting chawed on by a bobcat. Darn sure creepy and made my blood run cold.
                                I heard something like this last season. It was dead still calm and then I heard a crash and rabbit screaming. It is an uneasy sound that's for sure and got the ol' blood flowing for a moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X