Best BackCountry Camera? Sony RX100 VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best BackCountry Camera? Sony RX100 VI

I picked up a new Sony RX100 VI to test drive on my hike in Colorado last week. It has some great features that are perfect for a backcountry hunt...and a couple of shortcomings that probably prevent it from being the perfect solution.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3nIwazvGQY&t=184s"]Sony RX100 Mk VI - Ultimate BackCountry Camera for Hunting/Hiking? - YouTube[/ame]
    In this BackCountry Gear Preview, I take a (first) look at the best (and worst) features of Sony's new RX100 VI, with it's newly added 24-200 zoom lens. Is ...

What is your go-to camera for film and/or photo on a backcountry hunt?
    My Flickr Photos

Awesome video and review.

I am planning on carrying a Nikon coolpix p900 on my hunt. This is a significantly bigger/heavier camera but I will not be carrying a spotting scope. I can and plan to use the camera for long range glassing as well as taking some great photos. The camera has 2000mm capabilities with the built in lense. I am an amateur with cameras so I will see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
      Awesome video and review.

I am planning on carrying a Nikon coolpix p900 on my hunt. This is a significantly bigger/heavier camera but I will not be carrying a spotting scope. I can and plan to use the camera for long range glassing as well as taking some great photos. The camera has 2000mm capabilities with the built in lense. I am an amateur with cameras so I will see how it goes.
      WOW! 2000mm is nice reach!
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

We have that Sony Camera for when my wife doesn’t want to break out the big camera. It takes great pictures and videos for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good camera Michael. I use a similar one for slo-mo video for my air guns. It actually works for powder burners except there's distortion when the gun fires. Check out Eagle Optics mount for scopes/spotting scopes. Here are the only pics I could find on this 'puter of my Casio mounted to one of my gun/scope set ups...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4446.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	24547851

Name:	IMG_4449.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	24547852

Name:	IMG_4438.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	24547853

Name:	IMG_4440.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	24547854

These little cameras take amazing video! That tilt screen like the one on your Sony is real helpful too, especially for "selfies". This Casio has that tilt screen. I find it easier to shoot off the bench with the camera rather than sitting behind the gun and looking through the scope. With a shooting vice, zeroing in a large caliber rifle is amazingly easy. For slo-mo, I use the HD-240fps setting, then use my editing software to slow it down even more... The slo-mo also can be sped up with the editing software to true speed, and it comes out amazingly clear.

I understand Eagle Optics has closed the doors, but I think Vortex picked up the product line, but have not confirmed that.
          ...just more food for thought for another way to use these little lightweight cameras to enhance you already fantastic videos.

Comment

High frame rate is one feature I didn't even mention in the video! It can shoot up to 960 fps (limited) Much of the technology (auto focus, frame rate, touch screen, processor) in this tiny package exceeds that of my full frame mirrorless Sony.

I'll see what I can find out about the Eagle Optics adapter. Thanks Charlie!
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Hadn't really thought about a camera specifically for the back country. Would probably use my iPhone

However, in checking out what compares to the Sony, I discovered the Canon PowerShot G7 X.

What are your thoughts on the G7?

Comment

Great review and info. I will buy a real camera one day. Lol

Comment

I picked up a Fujifilm FinePix S9400W in 2015. Really like the camera, but don't think I'd want to have in on long day hikes.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                    Hadn't really thought about a camera specifically for the back country. Would probably use my iPhone

However, in checking out what compares to the Sony, I discovered the Canon PowerShot G7 X.

What are your thoughts on the G7?
                    I looked at comparisons to other point and shoot cameras. The G7x looks like a great camera, as well. It also has a 1" sensor and 12,800 max ISO. It has more options for the touch screen (access menus, make exposure changes, etc. ) The lens, however, is 24-100mm equivalent. I find that adequate for most bowhunting situations (20-30 yards) but I think it would be lacking for distances beyond that, although it is a bit faster, at 1.8-2.8 aperture, than the Mk vi (the Mk v and iv lens is 24-70 with fixed 1.8.)

Although I think 4k is a bit overrated (or overmarketed, anyway), the Sony offers 4K recording while the Canon is 1080.

One of the critical advantages of the Sony, IMO, is the ability to shoot at high frame rates (for smooth slow motion). It can shoot 1080p up to 120fps, with an HFR (high frame rate) option of 240, 480 or even 960 fps (although the 960fps has relatively poor image quality.)

"On paper" (and according to a few reviews I've seen) the Sony has a faster and more consistent auto-focus. From a stills perspective, the Sony shoots a blazing 24 frames per second, compared to 8 for the Canon.

The Canon seems to have slightly better in camera audio quality, although it also does not offer an external input. Canon's "color science" is widely regarded as superior to Sony, although Sony has apparently improved skin tones in their most recent processor (which is also in the RX100 vi).

Ultimately, of course, I opted for the Sony but the Canon seems to be a popular option for a lot of hunters. I believe I noticed the Born and Raised Outdoor guys using a Canon G7 (primarily as a secondary camera in addition to a Canon DSLR).
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                    X