X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your deer are looking Great.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
      That everyone sleeps well is important to me...especially someone in the Mexican mafia

I thought this pic had nice artistic element.
      Has a certain mass element as well
      Lookin strong!!!!

Comment

The mass on that last buck is off the charts

Comment

Nice pair of running mates.2nd pic offers bit better look of top buck
          Attached Files

Comment

Great looking bucks!

Comment

While I have been getting plenty of pics actually seeing bucks has been difficult this year. Usually a late evening ride in July or early August and you can see a bunch of bucks. Not so this year. Part of the problem is using sunn hemp with cow peas the plots are so tall you couldn't see a giraffe in them.

I did see this buck this weekend. Handsome with super mass. Don't know which buck this is so not really sure about age. Here's a couple looks at him. I like the head on view!
              Attached Files

Comment

Holy smokes that’s another giant!

Comment

I got 8 cameras out today and I hope to see a few like yours! Wow!! [emoji15]

Do you run cameras across the river?

Comment

While I have been getting plenty of pics actually seeing bucks has been difficult this year. Usually a late evening ride in July or early August and you can see a bunch of bucks. Not so this year. Part of the problem is using sunn hemp with cow peas the plots are so tall you couldn't see a giraffe in them.

I did see this buck this weekend. Handsome with super mass. Don't know which buck this is so not really sure about age. Here's a couple looks at him. I like the head on view!
                    NIce of him to pose right in front of the deer blind. I dont post much here but I love coming back to this thread time and time again.

Comment

Great looking buck Rusty! We are dealing with the same issues on seeing mature bucks. 4 of us sat in blinds this weekend, morning and evening for scouting south of the Rio, and only say does and bucks 3.5 and younger. The big boys are nocturnal due to the heat right now.

Comment

Looking like a stellar year. Rusty, how old do you guess the oldest buck to be on the property? At what age do see a drop off in antler growth? I would guess they would continue to improve at a fairly old age with the buffet you provide, but then again, it seems mature buck look for ways to kill themselves.

Comment

I think this is the oldest buck I know of on the property. At his prime he was well over 170. I saw him several times last year and he was a very large 7 pt. I'm not sure exactly how old he is but certainly over 10.

I think most bucks around here peak at 6-7 though it is hard to tell because the biggest ones get shot then. The biggest buck we ever took from the farm was 5. Thats the problem with most age experiments...the big ones get shot so who knows when they would peak.Not all bucks age the same . Have seen some peak at 4 and others at 10. Lots of variables effect that such as nutrition, health, injury, genetics, paracites, etc.

No question in my mind that the brush country bucks tend to peak a little later at 7-9 , some older. We have let a lot of really big bucks die of old age there and that seems to be the trend. That said though with the bucks there being managed the way we do it 'seems' they are slowly peaking later in life than in the early days. May just be because we have so many more bucks in the uber age classes?

We have a buck at the ranch that was 15 last yr and probably one of the biggest 5 pts ever. When 14 he was a 7 pt with drop. I'd guess his main beams over 27". He was well over 170 at 4.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by elgato; 08-07-2018, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I love the basketball hoop shape to the frame on the buck in post 2151. Has a lot of good things going for him. Love the mass and overall shape!

Comment

Looking Strong!!!!

Comment

That looks a lot like the buck I’m hunting
                                He’s a dandy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X