No announcement yet.

Sad day at the ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just sold everything myself on a couple of grazing leases I have down in San Ygnacio, Zapata County. Hard to see cattle I’ve worked so hard to feed and care for loaded and hauled off to auction. It’s a hard business/hobby for me. I knew the risks years back when I expanded and took on more country, but it still stings. Praying and hoping we all get some rain soon.

Comment

Yes, bad for us in Mills county also. 9" so far this year. Worse than 2011 now. Fires popping up have me nervous. Neighbors selling off livestock. The poor deer will eat your boots if you leave them under the feeders.

Comment

Pretty dry in Cherokee as well. Got a 10 second sprinkle yesterday morning. I am afraid it’s going to get worse before it gets better.

Comment

Originally posted by AggieArcher View Post
          Big reason for that is there’s some people illegally irrigating with water from the river closer to Menard. They’ve been doing it for years in the summertime but this year we havent had the rain to replenish it. State knows about it and hasnt done a thing to enforce it.
          You are correct. A lot of people have been trying to get them to limit their weekly usage by getting documents signed but it's been an uphill battle. There are thousands of acres of hayfields that are being irrigated by the San Saba river. It's a shame that after three great years of rain the river still dries out.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
            Yes, bad for us in Mills county also. 9" so far this year. Worse than 2011 now. Fires popping up have me nervous. Neighbors selling off livestock. The poor deer will eat your boots if you leave them under the feeders.
            That was a very bad stretch. We saw cedars and mesquites dry up and die. Talk about a major fire hazard. Every bit of that country was parched during that drought. It was pretty bad.

Comment

Read a few years ago where the San Saba river is in the top 10 most endangered rivers. The pecan orchards are using it up steadily. Too many or much water rights. Only thing green in our area is the orchards. Not dissing on them, I understand how water rights work. Just sad to see it abused by those that cheat or flat out do it illegally.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                They hongry!

Click image for larger version

Name:	WT5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	24547490

I've got 7 feeders each running 20 seconds per day.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                  That was a very bad stretch. We saw cedars and mesquites dry up and die. Talk about a major fire hazard. Every bit of that country was parched during that drought. It was pretty bad.
                  I lost a lot of Post Oaks and Mesquites in 2011. I seen some leaves falling off some Mesquites last weekend, weather forecast for my area is high 90's and no rain with next Thursday temps at 101 +.

Comment

Originally posted by Cullstuff View Post
                    Yall get any rain a couple days ago? It skirted just to the west of Austin. Guess if it did rain just washed out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                    Rained hard for about 5 minutes last night.

Comment

According to google, it takes around 27,000 gallons to water 1-acre at 1-inch. Let’s estimate that there are around 500 acres watering hay fields around 1”per week. that’s around 13,500,000 gallons per week or around 54,000,000 gallons per month. That’s a lot of water pumping out of the river. The San Saba river isn’t a very wide river or very deep so this amount of water being pumped out will affect it big time. Last year, we were 8in above average rainfall but our part of the river was still dried up due to the water usage. You can’t tell me that after 3 year’s of well above avg rainfall (7+ in) that the river should be dried up.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                        According to google, it takes around 27,000 gallons to water 1-acre at 1-inch. Let’s estimate that there are around 500 acres watering hay fields around 1”per week. that’s around 13,500,000 gallons per week or around 54,000,000 gallons per month. That’s a lot of water pumping out of the river. The San Saba river isn’t a very wide river or very deep so this amount of water being pumped out will affect it big time. Last year, we were 8in above average rainfall but our part of the river was still dried up due to the water usage. You can’t tell me that after 3 year’s of well above avg rainfall (7+ in) that the river should be dried up.

Exactly!

Comment

Pretty rough down here in Dimmit, 6.6" year to date.
                          Forecast looks pretty bleak.
                          I hate droughts, tough on the critters and habitat.
                          Praying for some moisture !

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                            Bingo!

Comment

Why dont you get a oil field water haul truck to bring you a couple loads of potable water and release in pond?

Comment

Sad to see this but been there and done that! Don't have my small ranch anymore in Hood County, but I vividly remember the days I could not find a round bale or even many squares for my horses. To water my horses, I had water hoses from my ranch house on the hill down to the front pasture to a tank so they would have water.

The hose was 100's of feet but it worked. Tough times and I can't imagine what the pond situation is at our lease near Robert Lee now? Hope it will pick up and rain buckets soon....Hang in there Brother!

Comment

Working...
                                X