Lease Prices over a decade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
    For 5K, I could pay for 2 or 3 over the counter, public hunts for elk... that’s bang for your buck. I’ll take public land deer hunting over 5K for 212acres per hunter any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I couldn't agree with you more. Plus you're not limited to the same ground.

Comment

My first lease in 1986 was $250/ea X 2 for 400 acres with a cattle shed in Hamilton Co.
      My new lease is $2250/ea X 2 for 240 acres with a very nice house & large barn in Throckmorton Co.

Comment

If you think leasing is expensive once you saw the numbers on buying and owning a place your head would explode. Now that I own my place I realize what a ridiculously good deal I had leasing and having access to land for a few thousand a year. The yearly lease fee I was paying wouldn’t cover one monthly payment on a land note.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
          If you think leasing is expensive once you saw the numbers on buying and owning a place your head would explode. Now that I own my place I realize what a ridiculously good deal I had leasing and having access to land for a few thousand a year. The yearly lease fee I was paying wouldn’t cover one monthly payment on a land note.
          This. We bought a place to hunt on (32 acres), but we are also on a lease to have the lease experience. The 2000 plus acres in the hill country is like haveing a state park to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
            This. We bought a place to hunt on (32 acres), but we are also on a lease to have the lease experience. The 2000 plus acres in the hill country is like haveing a state park to yourself.
            I’m have been hunting Texas leases for the past 55 years. First lease was $1/ acre. 100 acres per man. Renting a ranch with a good population of deer is a great deal. I also have some private land, but love the ability to hunt different terrain and a variety of animals with 4 good friends.

Comment

I quit leasing about 10 years ago and now just hunt public land. I go to Colorado elk hunting every year now which I didn't do when I had a deer lease. I like hunting new country, so Arkansas might be the next place to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                Ya.....all of Texas! It's becoming a rich mans sport.
                This. It is a money making business. Someone has the money to pay the high prices and the rest of us can pound sand.

Comment

Some expensive venison that's for sure. But most hobbies are expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
                    This. It is a money making business. Someone has the money to pay the high prices and the rest of us can pound sand.
                    I don't think it's exactly a money making business. Most leases are anywhere from $10-$25 an acre and if I were to buy that land it would probably cost me $3000-$10000 an acre not including all of the taxes and maintenance. I would still love to own my own place one day but like many others have said I think it's a cheap price to pay to be able to enjoy that much land and basically treat it as your own.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Owning your one small place has lots of pros and cons. That being said, your own place is just that and you don’t have to worry about dumping a bunch of money for improvements and then having the rug pulled out from under you.

Our own little place is fun to hunt deer, pigs and the occasional exotic but I still lease a place close to home for dove and another for ducks.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        You see these complaints regularly on here. However I own and lease land to hunt. The $3200 I spend on the lease is about a third of what I spent on property improvements last year. I'm over 5K on the property this year. That's after the 60K initial investment. I like having a good lease. I work extra jobs to be sure I can afford it.
                        Yep. People need to understand the landowner is not making money leasing to deer hunters. He's just losing less.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          Yep. People need to understand the landowner is not making money leasing to deer hunters. He's just losing less.
                          X2

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            x1000000

Comment

I own 145 acres of pasture and woods, all low fence. Most places around me are 40 acres or bigger. I have not been on a lease in 5 years. I would like to get on another lease, but have not found nothing within an hour of me yet.

I dont think any land owner is getting rich off of leasing his place out either.

Comment

Our Family hunts (Wife and 2 College kids 18,20) we don't spend 3500-5000 grand for 1 week to lay on the beach because we have a pool and the boys never wanted to go the Disneyland Vacation route so 5000 (Feed Included) to have a mini-Vacation for 10-12 weeks a year is a bargain.
                                I have been in the lease game since 1987 and compared to other things Hunting has not gone up that much. It all about Priorities and what you like I will still pay 7000-10,000 a year if it gets there before I am gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X