Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solo Elk Scouting Trip: What I Learned (and Dealing with Altitude Sickness)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altitude sickness is a serious thing. Not only does it make you feel bad, it can kill you. I’ve known of a couple different situations where hunters got a pulmonary embolism and died. If your ever up there and feel you can’t breathe even at rest at camp, descent is your only option. Quick descent. I do best when I get there three days before season and take things slow. I always get a headache about espaniola, nm. If I take a couple aspirin when I feel it I’m good. If not, I have to deal with a splitting headache the whole hunt.

Comment

Good thread.... My first elk trip with my son two years ago, the Altitude wreaked havoc with my anxiety. Had to go into town and get a short supply of my anxiety meds as I did not bring enough. Once I got them, I was fine but the lack of O2 mimics panic attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
        Something that will help you for future altitude situations is taking a high quality BCAA before you start. Mid day, not a horrible idea to have some mixed up to take again.
        Hydration and nutrition are major factors. Being in shape will only help so much if you're not accustomed to the altitude.

Agree 100%

I took my BCAA and multi vitamins with me on my elk hunt.

Comment

following, dont think i can make it work this year but trying to figure out how to make this happen

Comment

Thanks for making the video. One thing I noticed: did not see a fly rod in your pack. Dude! How can you go into the mountains and not bring a fly rod!!??

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
              Good thread.... My first elk trip with my son two years ago, the Altitude wreaked havoc with my anxiety. Had to go into town and get a short supply of my anxiety meds as I did not bring enough. Once I got them, I was fine but the lack of O2 mimics panic attacks.
              Altitude sickness can do some strange things to people. As well as the sick, tired and hung over feeling it can cause some major paranoia. One year we were camped at about 10,000ft. between Lone Cone and Little Cone (unit 70-71). We had 3 wall tents for sleeping. I got up to pee about 2:00am. I was surprised to see one of the other hunters from one of the other tents pacing back and forth in camp. I asked him what was wrong. He said "I have got to get out of here now. I don't know what is wrong with me. I am going crazy". I got him calmed down a little and told him it was the altitude. Now this was a grown man and he was crying like a baby. At daylight I drove him down to Norwood which is about 7000 ft. By the time we got down to Norwood he was fine and said "I can't believe I did that.....I want to go back up". I think for him it was a combination of hiking to far early in the trip, dehydration, and possibly to much Crown and Coke after dinner. He took it easy the rest of the trip. Matter of fact he never got over 200 yards from camp.

Yep. That is what got this guy. Anxiety and paranoia induced by mountain sickness. He was worried about EVERYTHING. He was worried about his family, he was worried that he was going to get hurt, he was worried about being away from his job. He did better after I took him down into town. He made a phone call home. This was before cell phones existed. I got him some aspirin for his headache. Got him a cheeseburger and he was better. He did somewhat better when we went back up to camp, but his hunt was basically over and it was only the second day. I would bet he has never been back after his altitude sickness experience.

Another thing to be aware of is sleeping at high altitude (especially above 9,000'-10,000') can be difficult for some people. Your breathing rate slows down during sleep. At altitude, the reduced oxygen content of the blood induces breathing instability, with periods of deep and rapid breathing alternating with apnea. It occurs even in people that are in great shape at altitudes above 6000 ft. It may lead to sleep disturbances with frequent awakenings and a feeling of lack of air.

I have had guys in camp wake up gasping for air. I have done it myself and it will scare you.

If you use a CPAP make sure you take it. Use Breathe Right strips while sleeping to to assist your oxygen intake.

Comment

This is sooo true. After our first trip, I emailed with several people and they recommended not camping at 10K, as they said their rule was hunt at 10K, camp at 8K. We used that logic the next season and everything was fine, and I had spare meds to help if my anxiety did flare up.

Plus we got there a full day before the season to start acclimating and setting up camp. 2nd Trip was way more enjoyable, and I am anxious for 3rd trip this year if I can swing it.

Comment

Shot you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
                    Something that will help you for future altitude situations is taking a high quality BCAA before you start. Mid day, not a horrible idea to have some mixed up to take again.
                    Hydration and nutrition are major factors. Being in shape will only help so much if you're not accustomed to the altitude.
                    My two main rules for elk hunting is walk slow and make sure you have a friend bigger than you to help drag your elk (and maybe you). Also helps if you shoot one close to a road with ATV access. Hi Jay!

Good stuff, Michael. Looking forward to the hunt! My two times to hunt Colorado elk I was really ill prepared. I've vowed to be in much better shape the next time...just not sure when that will be.

Comment

Cool thread, just found out I got my elk tag this week, so I’ll be headed to CO in September to chase them as well.

I’ve been hiking with my pack pretty regularly for the last couple months, but now it’s time to really step it up.

Working on getting my gear dialed in as well, doing stuff like using my binos on hikes, putting on my rain gear, etc, to sort out any problems ahead of time.

Hoping to be right around a 25 lb pack weight with my muzzleloader, bino harness, food and water, not counting the clothing I’m wearing, and 45 lbs packing in our camp.
                      Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 06-07-2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Great video!

Comment

Thanks for all the great comments and tips! I've been on the road all day, so apologies for delay in responding.

I've been doing "2-a-days" this week, "hiking" stadium steps in the morning and lifting (cleans, various squats, presses, deadlifts, etc.) in the evenings to build strength.

I talked to both Aron and Frank yesterday and finally pulled the trigger on pack (and other gear) from Kifaru yesterday. I opted for the Cavern (over the Muskeg 7000)

Lite Duplex frame, a couple of medium belt pouches and a set of ultralight pulllouts). I also picked up the Native pack over the OGL, figuring I could run it as a lid and/or "approach" pack (if necessary) and double it as a day pack here in Texas.

I'm considering picking up a tarp, which they just put on the site yesterday, and possibly their new quilt when it rolls out in the next week or two.

I'm anxious to get the new gear and will do a preview of it all once I receive it in a couple of weeks (hopefully!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Another thing to be aware of is sleeping at high altitude (especially above 9,000'-10,000') can be difficult for some people. Your breathing rate slows down during sleep. At altitude, the reduced oxygen content of the blood induces breathing instability, with periods of deep and rapid breathing alternating with apnea. It occurs even in people that are in great shape at altitudes above 6000 ft. It may lead to sleep disturbances with frequent awakenings and a feeling of lack of air.

I have had guys in camp wake up gasping for air. I have done it myself and it will scare you.
                            This sucks. 8500 did it to me. 7700 Im good.

“Why do am I so thirsty? Why do I have to pee every hour?”

I like sleeping with and nursing a camelbak so I dont have to sit up to drink water whilst in the rack.

Comment

You will know you're acclimated when your heart rate returns to near normal and your o2 goes back up to 96% or so. Diamox works to speed that up but it will dehydrate you. As said, if you can sleep at 9 and hunt at 11 you will feel better. If you have to sleep at 10 plan on your first day at elevation to be somewhat unproductive.

I like that Kifaru pack. I would like to know your opinion after the hunt. Last time I climbed it rained every day. I wish I had added the extra 9 -12 onces for a tarp. That's the only reason I would pack one unless it is replacing your tent.
                              Instead of the extra weight of a winter bag, I used my 3 season bag with a liner and planned on sleeping in extra clothes. I've been ok to 17 degrees this way but it wasn't pleasant. I had also cut the four season tent for a single 2 season. I saved about 19 ounces this way but base camp was 7 miles and 4k feet so I felt it was worth it. Afterwords I wasn't so sure. I used a lot of energy staying warm at night. This was in June. All my elk trips were from a cabin so I can't help on fall camping much. I want to do this same hunt if I can get back in shape.

Comment

2 a days? Talk about ramping it up. My orthopedic surgeon who also hunts told me that running stairs was fine as long as I skipped a day in between to let the knee ligaments rest. Makes sense. You should really try pulling a weighted tire around. I bought a harness and lanyard off Amazon. I really like the work out. Feels like I am going up hill on flatland.

Comment

Working...
                                X