No announcement yet.

Help building back my St. Augustine Grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Neil, how can I get my lawn to thicken up and be beautiful this year? It’s never looked very good. I hear this many times every spring and summer. I’m ...

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
      In Houston, my backyard has a large oak, and For a few years I did not canopy it like I should. I need to put down some more grass under it.

The whole neighborhood has Raleigh St Augustine. I am planning on putting the palmetto st Augustine down due to the shade (I realize I need to be more diligent about thinning the tree to have a chance).

I am assuming that's my best bet?
      Palmetto is said to have good shade tolerance, but I don't think it's that much better than Raleigh St. Augustine. They also say it is very disease tolerant, but in my experience that's just not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
        Palmetto is said to have good shade tolerance, but I don't think it's that much better than Raleigh St. Augustine. They also say it is very disease tolerant, but in my experience that's just not the case.

For full shade you almost have to use zoysia or amerishade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You have a bunch of different types of grasses growing where your St. Augustine died out. I see common Bermuda and you can only kill it with round-up. I would kill all these types of grasses first then clean up with a rake till its bare dirt. Next put down some pre- emergent then buy a few blocks of sod and make a bunch of 4 inch by 4 inch plugs then plant about 1ft apart. It will spread out in no time. This is the cheapest way. I've planted thousands of acres of St. Augustine by plugging.
          Thanks for sharing this information.

Comment

You created a monster. MOVE. Rent a dethatcher some people call it a veticutter run it over the problem areas rake it out then resod it's the quickest way

Comment

ttt

Comment

Man... my grass was beautiful last year after the floods. I had people commenting on how green it was and then my dumbass fertilized it again and went to hell. I have aerated it. Got so bad that I decided to throw down rye grass during winter to make it green, after how much I had to mow... I'm never doing that again.... I definitely see runners here and there. Im going to put plugs around some of the empty spots and see how that goes.. does people walking around it kill he grass? I have also been watering at night. I'll begin to water in the AM. I do have sprinklers installed just that the **** bill gets so high. Most of the sod thrown on the houses in my neighborhood are above clay. After a few inches it's all clay... not sure if that has something to do with anything.

Comment

What's the best thing to do with a recently developed acre lot? All that's growing now is weeds. Is there anything I can grow from a seed that will work?

Comment

Army worms were real bad here last year and they love a freshly fertilized lawn. They got me in a couple spots but it will come back

Comment

Which type?

Palisades
                      Emerald
                      Zeon
                      Geo
                      Cutlass
                      L1F
                      apologies for the thread bump but looking to re-sod up here in DFW and was looking at around 10 pallets of Zoysia (Zeon most likely). do you deliver up to the DFW area?

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                        Are either of these easier to take care of than St. Augustine?
                        We're starting fresh, and I'd rather not have St. Augustine, if I can help it.

And thanks for the fence info!
                        Centipede is better than St Augustine. It looks like SA, but it grows slower and is more disease resistant.

Comment

I am still fighting fungus. Did alot of research and put down Fertilome F Spot on the entire yard, aereated the entire yard with a plug aerator I bought and then sprayed the yard with 14.3% Proprionzale or however you spell it.

My next step will be to buy some good compost and spread it out as I am a stickler for a good yard. Mainly my low spots get the fungus first.

I follow Randy Lemmon's schedule and have been battling fungus and weeds in these same few areas, so I know these spots arent healthy.

Hope to see some changes in 1-3 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Azzy View Post
                            Man... my grass was beautiful last year after the floods. I had people commenting on how green it was and then my dumbass fertilized it again and went to hell. I have aerated it. Got so bad that I decided to throw down rye grass during winter to make it green, after how much I had to mow... I'm never doing that again.... I definitely see runners here and there. Im going to put plugs around some of the empty spots and see how that goes.. does people walking around it kill he grass? I have also been watering at night. I'll begin to water in the AM. I do have sprinklers installed just that the **** bill gets so high. Most of the sod thrown on the houses in my neighborhood are above clay. After a few inches it's all clay... not sure if that has something to do with anything.
                            Did you notice any difference after aerating it? I just did that to mine and I hope it helps my fungus.

To my knowledge it has never been done, and I guess lets air get into the soil which helps

Comment

Help building back my St. Augustine Grass

St Augustine decline or Take All Root(tarr) is bad this year. Having to throw down lots of peat moss to combat. If you are seeing a lot of yellowing and the runners pull loose really easy due to shallow roots, this is your issue.
                              Last edited by Codypatt1; 05-05-2017, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                                At my last house I had a sprinkler system and had it set to water every morning at 3:00 am for 45 minutes per station. I had the lushest, greenest St. Augustine grass in the neighborhood. In my opinion, you can't water it enough unless it's just not draining off. Your grass looks very dry.
                                Unless your watering at night then you just get fungus and turns brown.

Comment

Working...
                                X