Question for the Camper/RV Dudes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Camper/RV Dudes...

This is my camper set up at the lease. I've always err'd on the side of caution and rolled in the slide out (even with the cover)....but do I need to?

I don't think rain would ever get to it, unless the wind is blowing really hard from the south, but are there other concerns to leaving the slide out out?
    Attached Files

If the rig is level it makes no difference on the slide and since its under a cover not much can get caught on the slide roof . Rig not level it puts more stress on the plastic gears motors of the slide . Not covered the areas on top of the slide will get full of crap and you will need to clean it before closing it

Most close them up when stored , in your case I would pop one of the roof vents , if you have 110 power maybe a simple small fan running to keep air moving , they can get a bit stale if they sit .

Comment

If it was me, I'd put a stand under the slide to take some of the weight off the slide mechanism. Still a good idea to retract it on occasion just to keep the mechanism free.

Comment

Never put a stand under any of mine have had several the last one was a 45 foot custom with 3 slides .

Comment

I'm pretty **** with our trailer, when not in use, closed up. Does it matter, maybe/ maybe not.

Comment

Leave my slides open all the time when parked. No problems. Just make sure to operate them every few months or so - and keep lubricated parts lubed up.

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
              If it was me, I'd put a stand under the slide to take some of the weight off the slide mechanism. Still a good idea to retract it on occasion just to keep the mechanism free.
              Never put a stand under a slide with it open. It a tire goes flat, the stand will hold the slide up while the trailer falls, and you will have a big mess on your hands. And slides are designed to hold weight while out, so no support is needed. I worry more about sitting on the table/couch while the slide is in.

Comment

I leave mine open all the time.

Comment

We lived in ours for over a year and only pulled them in once to move it from the RV park to our land. We were in the park, uncovered for 6 months and never had a leak.

You don't need to worry about leaks or any structural issues.
                  As a few have said, just bring them in and out every once in a while to keep the mechanisms from seizing up.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                    If the rig is level it makes no difference on the slide and since its under a cover not much can get caught on the slide roof . Rig not level it puts more stress on the plastic gears motors of the slide . Not covered the areas on top of the slide will get full of crap and you will need to clean it before closing it

Most close them up when stored , in your case I would pop one of the roof vents , if you have 110 power maybe a simple small fan running to keep air moving , they can get a bit stale if they sit .
                    Ditto. Could not have said it better.

Comment

My Jayco does not have a slide; however, my brother's Puma does and he pulls it in after every trip. It is uncovered though. In looking at his channel and gaskets around the channel/guides, I would think mice could get in with minimal effort if slide was out. Just my thought as I hate mice. Nice setup BTW!!

Comment

You can leave 'em out. But we started pulling 'em in and had less mouse intrusions.

Comment

I always left mine out until some mice chewed the wiring. Had to crawl under it and rewire.
                          I now always pull mine in when I leave camp.

Comment

I leave mine out and never had a problem.

Comment

Doesn't take 60 seconds to slide in or slide out.... Not sure where the benefit of leaving it out is? I always put mine in, just me though

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X