New Zealand or Africa hunt?? Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Zealand or Africa hunt?? Which one?

We’re going to both, eventually, but those that have been, which one would you go on first. How far in advance do you have to book the trip for both places? What are the costs for both (PM if you feel more comfortable). Airfare will be free since we have a lot of miles. NZ will be a stag, a tahr and fallow. Africa will be a kudu, zebra, impala, warthog and maybe one more. Is 5-7 days long enough? Tons of questions, I know, but thanks in advance. Please give all the info you can. We wanna go either next year or the year after. And what time of year is best for both places and why? Archery hunt only btw.

I’m going to Africa next June and will be hunting for 8 days. Because of where we’re hunting we will have to spend a night in Johannesburg so it is a 2 day trip over. I had originally wanted 10 days, but this was the window that worked best for us and the maximum amount of time he had available in that window. We may still add a couple of days on the front end to do something in Johannesburg.

My guide for my black bear hunt was from New Zealand and that is definitely on my bucket list as well. Apparently you don’t need a hunting license there and there is lots of game outside the game preserves to hunt, but you won’t get the 500” stags, they will be closer to the 300 mark, but will be free ranging.

Both are incredible trips, so I would say you should find the best deal. My Africa trip is happening because I got it for the Harvey auction on here last year. My recommendation would be to talk to a couple of outfitters you’re interested in hunting with and let them know to contact you if they have any cancellations. I have done that with a couple sheep outfitters and have gotten some pretty good offers, just have too many other hunts lined up to do a last minute sheep hunt.

Comment

We can assist you on your Africa hunt. In fact we have a pretty good size " TBH " group going in about a year from now. 7 to 10 days is the norm for a safari, but not required. A lot of hunters will take their bow and hunt for 5 days with the bow and if there is an animal or 2 they just can't seem to get within bow range they will pick up a gun on the last two days.

We have a TBH special listed in the classifieds, I will post the link for you. I will be happy to answer all of your questions, but it would be better done as a phone conversation due to the fact that every question and answer will bring up more questions. A lot of your questions may be answered as the read thru the post from the classifieds.

Comment

Here is the link to the classified post.

Comment

Www.legacyoutdooradventures.com talk to Floyd he has been on both and has all the proper information as well as he can book your hunt with no hassles. You are definitely going to get your animals and have a great time for the entire family.

Comment

Went to NZ in 2015 and RSA in 2017. Both were awesome trips but if I had to choose just one it would be NZ hands down. English speaking country, easy to rent a car and sightsee, don't have to worry about crime and just flat out beautiful.

We went in early-mid May for both to coincide with our anniversary. I would say about 7 days is enough but plan another 5-7 to tour the countries. Next year is doable for sure. NZ will be more pricey and it was mainly airfare but you seem to have that covered. I hunted tahr, stag (free range) and fallow as well. Wife loved the trip and wanted to move there afterwards. Her being a non-hunter really enjoyed it more as there was more for her to do. She did really enjoy the 3 nights in Cape Town though but that wasn't really long enough. IF going to NZ I highly recommend Shaun Allison http://www.exclusiveadventuresnz.com. Very detail oriented and super nice guy. He used to be a mountain safety instructor so I learned a lot from him as well. He guides all over the world during their off season. Can't help with Africa as much as we most likely won't go back with the same outfit. Going to either RSA or Namibia the next time around. Feel free to PM with any questions on either NZ or RSA.

Comment

Awesome info. Thank y’all. Keep it coming

Comment

I’ve been to both. If you want quantities of animals, Africa. If you want breathtaking views, New Zealand without a doubt. There is so much to do in NZ and every turn is a breathtaking view. You are probably looking at 2-3 species in NZ. If I had to choose only going back to one, NZ would be it.

Comment

Looks to be about $15-18k for the 3 animals I want in NZ. That sound pretty close?

Comment

I've been to both. Just got back from NZ. Search for my post. I'll pm you tomorrow at work and can give you more details on both.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                      Looks to be about $15-18k for the 3 animals I want in NZ. That sound pretty close?
                      Yeah. Mine was just under $20K by the time I added my wife.

Comment

Africa, hands down!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          Africa, hands down!!!!

Bisch

I second that. You can have a GREAT HUNT in Africa for 15k.

Comment

A lot of New Zealand is non native pen raised animals. I want to go to see the views, but I’ll take Africa.

Comment

I would really like a trip to NZ even if it didnt have any hunting with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X