Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas - "Novelty shots" for trad tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas - "Novelty shots" for trad tournament?

We have a TBOT event at Cowtown weekend after next. I plan to set up a couple of novelty shots - where you kick in a couple of bucks to shoot at an unusual and fun target for a chance to win a little cash. I have a couple of ideas in mind but I thought I'd ask my well-traveled trad brethren and sisteren (sisteren?) for input. Are there any novelty shots you've seen that went over particularly well?
    Thanks!

John

A few of memorable ones I have experienced.

Rope a barrel between 2 trees and you have to shoot from a saddle position.

Place a 2x12 on a partially inflated tractor tube (if you even find one) to shoot off of.

Skip shot off a sheet of plywood.

limbo line shot - place a rope about 30 inches off the round, noting including bow limbs can be above it.

Comment

I used to belong to a trad archery group in PA called "Strictly Sticks". They had a 3D hog target set up with pulleys and a cable between trees on a hill and so it was a running hog shot. You had to reset it every time of course but it was fun. They also had a steel wolf target with a 12" hole cut out to shoot through as the last shot of the day. It was an arrow ruiner if you missed, but a fun challenge.

Comment

If you want to up participation stay away from arrow ruiners. If folks think they are going to destroy a 15$ arrow they will often times pass. Long distance shots with say 3 arrows for 5$ nearest to the hundred dollar bill stuck to the 3d targets work well. Something like a black buck target at 130 or so yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Running Rabbit Shot: Use clay pigeons as the rabbit. Build a ramp at about a 45 degree angle app 10 feet long. Make the ramp like a trough barely wide enough for a clay pigeon to set up on edge in. Someone places the clay pigeon in the trough and turns it loose to roll down the ramp. Mark off about 10 feet on the ground at the bottom of the ramp, the shooter tries to break the "rabbit" before it clears the 10 feet. Depending on the ground, you may have to adjust the angle and/or length of the ramp.
          Last edited by Phillip Fields; 02-13-2018, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I went on Bear Quest hunt a few years ago and one of the guys was from Connecticut and he was explaining something called a "knock block" shoot. At the time it sounded really fun. Something about knocking a block off a stump? I'll ask him and see what he says.

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
              If you want to up participation stay away from arrow ruiners. If folks think they are going to destroy a 15$ arrow they will often times pass.
              Actually that steel wolf was always a big hit. And people coming to the shoot for the first time always asked about it. They always had a 2 day event in June and that was the only time the wolf came out. Folks could always skip it if they were too sissy to risk an arrow as it was the last shot and counted as bonus points. I actually used to take an old junky arrow and save it for that shot. Out of 5 years I finally broke it the last time I shot with that group .

But that was 2000-2005 so arrows were a cheaper then. I remember buying Port Orford Cedar shafts for less than $20/dozen from 3Rivers. I think they are closer to $40 now, and carbons much more than that. I would more than likely skip that shot these day haha.

Comment

Use hair dryer to float ping pong ball to shoot at

Speed shoot: build frame, use bungee cords to suspend 6 clay targets, shoot 6 arrows, person who breaks most targets in shortest time (stopwatch) win. Our best time was 6 targets in 19 seconds.

Comment

Those all sound like a good time!

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
                    If you want to up participation stay away from arrow ruiners. If folks think they are going to destroy a 15$ arrow they will often times pass. Long distance shots with say 3 arrows for 5$ nearest to the hundred dollar bill stuck to the 3d targets work well. Something like a black buck target at 130 or so yards

We have the steel armadillo at Cowtown. I've donated a few arrows to his campfire.

Hey John, see if Tbot is going to have a long range shot and if not put the buffalo out at an unknown distance.
                    Last edited by Geezy Rider; 02-14-2018, 05:03 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Geezy Rider;13185658]We have the steel armadillo at Cowtown. I've donated a few arrows to his campfire.

Hey John, see if Tbot is going to have a long range shot and if not put the buffalo out at an unknown distance.[/QUOTE

We will be shooting at the Buffalo from the platform - somewhere between 15 and 75 yards

Comment

[quote=jerp;13185788]
                        Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                        We have the steel armadillo at Cowtown. I've donated a few arrows to his campfire.

Hey John, see if Tbot is going to have a long range shot and if not put the buffalo out at an unknown distance.[/QUOTE

We will be shooting at the Buffalo from the platform - somewhere between 15 and 75 yards

15 would be nice!

Comment

Another fun shoot we simply called a "String Shoot". We usually used 10 3d targets but the number is not set in stone. String the string through the woods at about shoulder height. Set up the targets like in a regular 3d shoot, with each target being a reasonable shot from the string, but with no marked shooting lane. The shooter walks along the string close enough to be able to touch the string. The shooter can shoot at the target anywhere along the string as long as he can touch the string. The rub is that he cannot back up. Make sure that there is at least one spot along the string to allow a clear shot at the target.

Comment

I guess some people like the steel targets I would just have a hard time paying extra to shoot at one unless the reward was substantial

Comment

They had the steel targets at the Texas Longbow Championships many years ago. They called them bionic targets. I enjoyed shooting them because of the stress they imposed. They were pretty popular the but cedar arrows were relatively cheap then . They had an entirely separate shoot called a novelty shoot back then. Another one was a sizable log suspended on stiff springs. You had three 3d targets at about 15yds. You got on the log with your arrows in the quiver. You drew an arrow from the quiver and shot the first target. You then had to take a step on the shakey log on repeat for the second and third targets. if you lost you balance and stepped off it was a DQ. (the log was not very high off the ground). There was a standing bear at about 100 yds and some moving targets also. Different and lots of fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X