"Black hole treatment" for camo pop up hunt tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Black hole treatment" for camo pop up hunt tent

Do you close up your camo pop up hunt tent when you leave it? If so, ever worry about the difference in the way it looks to the local deer when you're there vs when you're not there? To whatever degree you open the flaps when you hunt, I believe this can send a "black hole" signal to a wary buck or woods smart doe that something's wrong. Especially at close range, I think they notice when you re-arrange the "furniture" in their living room. They don't have to see you, just a glaring, out-of-place black hole.

So, I set my window flaps the way they need to be for the best vision and maximum concealment and leave 'em alone. Of course, I dress in black and use a face mask to keep from shining out of that black hole. This way, if you set up early enough, deer get used to a structure with a black hole.

But, If you want to close up your tent, I suggest you grab a spray can of flat black and spray the closed flaps to look "open" as they do when you're hunting.

This is something I do, too, because, sometimes when I'm hunting, I need to close up the flaps a bit to block a bad wind or rain. But, from the outside, with the flap painted the appropriate amount of black, the black hole will look the same size. No change is a good thing.

Anybody think this could make a difference?

I don't hunt from a popup much but when I did-before the cows tore it to shreds-I always wondered the same thing and would try to make my shooting holes as small as possible without hindering a shot opportunity. Never tried the black paint idea but makes sense to me.

HG

Comment

I leave my shooting window open at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by leebtattoos View Post
        I leave my shooting window open at all times.
        X2

Comment

Me too

Comment

I always leave my shooting ports open and I make them smaller than the way they come. For me it seams the smaller the black hole the less the deer notice it, especially new deer that are seeing it for the first time. What I do is put the shooting window flap up and then cut just a big enough hole to shoot through, usually about 3.5 inches wide by about 12 inches tall. Once I get the hole cut, I line the edges of the hole with camo duct tape to keep it from ripping open any more.

Comment

For you guys that leave the windows opened on your blinds, do you not have problems with varmints, or rain, etc getting in. I generally leave my chair and other gear in mine, thinking it would all get wet during a good rain. No varmint or bird issues?

Comment

keep the windows closed but you can clothes pin a back tee-shirt to the outside of the window so it is always black

Comment

My shooting window stays open while its in the field.

Comment

Paint the windows black that way the deer get used to that black hole.

Comment

leave mine just the way i hunt out of it, but that is a good idea.

Comment

Thanks for the good idea.

Comment

Great idea with painting the flap! I keep mine closed until I hunt. Havent had a deer see me yet. Earlier this season I had a young buck 5 yds eye to eye with me and didnt notice. No face mask or camo. Gonna paint the flap though, I like that.

Comment

i got a pop up that the windows come camo on one side and black on the other i will try that. how do pop ups work with hogs do you have to worry about the same thing?

Comment

I leave my main shooting window open all the time, the other windows I crack enough to see out of but never open more than one window.

Comment

Working...
                              X