Axis deer habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis deer habits

I see axis moving around mid day on some ranch along the highway... is this common?
    Last edited by Pedernal; 08-08-2018, 11:26 AM.

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    I see axis moving around mid day on some ranch along the highway... is this common?
    In my experience they seem to be more active during the daytime compared to whitetails.

Comment

Yes, it is common on my place to see them moving around and feeding on food plots on my ranch in East texas between 11-2 during the day. Bright sun and heat don't seem to matter.

We got a 30", 275# Axis buck yesterday evening out of a blind at 5:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
        In my experience they seem to be more active during the daytime compared to whitetails.
        Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
        Yes, it is common on my place to see them moving around and feeding on food plots on my ranch in East texas between 11-2 during the day. Bright sun and heat don't seem to matter.

We got a 30", 275# Axis buck yesterday evening out of a blind at 5:30.
        Thanks for the info fellas... keep it coming...

Comment

Especially if there is a creek, drainage, or deep valley with good shade near by. Travel patterns.

Comment

What about browse?? Do they like the same thing as white tails??

Comment

When we had our place in Roosevelt, they would hammer the alfalfa feeders hard during the day. We would feed around 2-3 everyday and see axis. We were covered in them though. Shoot in 6 years they, we shot upwards of 100 axis off it

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                What about browse?? Do they like the same thing as white tails??

I don't think so. I think they are more of a grazer, like elk. I see herds of 100+ nearly every day and they are almost always out in the wide open pastures.

One place I hunt is very wooded and we only have a narrow shooting lane about 10 yards wide and its 63 yards to the feeder. They still come in for the corn or chaffhaye. I'm headed back out tonight as a matter of fact.

Comment

Seems like the hotter it is the better the hunting is

Comment

They are actually browsers and grazer but in the spring thru summer when there is plenty to graze on they will be primarily grazers.

Comment

Working...
                    X