308 Guru's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

308 Guru's

I'm a product of a parent from the 30-06 era and I know the 308 has the same style of following as the 30-06 did then. I was debating my buddy, that LOVES the 308, on which caliber was better. I know a lot about the 30-06 and can load it with a 125 gr bullet to tame it for smaller shooters or bump it up to 180 gr and just about keep up with store bought ammo in the 300wm. I feel the 308 is a juiced up 30-30 and I'm not knocking the caliber, its a good Texas caliber, except on nilgia.

I'm looking to debate the two calibers, looking to get educated.

Not a guru by any means but I just started loading for a 308 I picked up and with a 26” tube I’m pushing a 178gr bthp at 2800fps without any pressure issues, 308 is no means a juiced up 30-30. 30-06 will have the advantage over 308 due to case capacity I also own one of Those. I honestly don’t know numbers off the top of my head for factory ammo on either but I would assume they probably aren’t much different.

Also with the 30-06 you give up the short action so you will have a bit more weight and longer bolt throws.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
      its a good Texas caliber, except on nilgia.
      Hahaha...sais who?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        308 is no means a juiced up 30-30
        This is where my lack of knowledge on the 308 comes in. I used the Hornady leverevolution bullet and shot out to 300 yards, that's where that came from. I get it, not apples to apples...

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
          This is where my lack of knowledge on the 308 comes in. I used the Hornady leverevolution bullet and shot out to 300 yards, that's where that came from. I get it, not apples to apples...
          300 yards with a 30-30 is pretty impressive for sure. So far I’ve only shot my 308 out to 750 yards but plan on 1k soon. 308 and 30-06 are both good all around cartridges that can be loaded in a variety of ways to meet your specific needs from 110-220+ grain bullets.

To say one is better than the other would be hard in my opinion but personally I’d rather keep my short action. With that being said if I was hunting larger game elk,moose,large bear and was shooting some of the heavier bullets I’d probably go 30-06 just for the extra powder/velocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Basically the same, ones long action and ones short action. 30-06 is slightly faster.

Comment

They shoot the same bullets, one being ~100fps faster with everything else the same

If you find the .308 to be insufficient in Texas, it's the Indian not the arrow

Comment

The .308 is a shortened case of the .30-06. For all intents and purposes they are the same cartridge but the .30-06 is longer with more case capacity.

It is not a "Juiced up .30-30"! If you are looking for an adequate and accurate description it would be that it is a reduced recoil .30-06.

Comment

As said, they are both the same caliber so they shoot the exact same bullets, the 3006 just shoots them faster

Comment

One additional point is that more case capacity can be a dual edged sword if you are wanting to work up light loads. It can require bulkier powders or fillers.

Comment

308 Guru's

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
                      They shoot the same bullets, one being ~100fps faster with everything else the same

If you find the .308 to be insufficient in Texas, it's the Indian not the arrow

I was about to say the same thing. There is a difference between the 308 and 30-06 but it isn’t huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Last edited by Mike D; 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM.

Comment

308 is a great all around gun EVEN for Nilgai! If you are a hand loader you can do all sorts of things with it. Factory 308 ammo is consistent out to 1000 yards with a quality gun.

No where close to a 3030 as most have mentioned.

Comment

If i was never leaving Texas, I would get a 308, and I am a 3006 guy. I think it is the best Texas cartridge and it comes in every type gun there is. As a lefty that is important. It doesn't have the power of the 06, but it ain't that far off

Comment

The 30-06 has about a 100 FPS advantage on most loads. Pretty negligible really. Lots of case capacity doesn’t mean better. 308 is a very efficient case for what it is. As far as not trust it on Nalgi, I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot any animal in the continental US with a 308. From a varmint to a moose. 180 SST’s do work on big critters.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
                              The 30-06 has about a 100 FPS advantage on most loads. Pretty negligible really. Lots of case capacity doesn’t mean better. 308 is a very efficient case for what it is. As far as not trust it on Nalgi, I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot any animal in the continental US with a 308. From a varmint to a moose. 180 SST’s do work on big critters.

I gotta agree, only big rifles I've owned are in .308 and I've been all over the country with it and never had an issue. It'll be going to Canadiana land for moose and caribou next year as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X