X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age?

How old you guys think on this buck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like 2 different deer, unless he broke his brow tines as well. Second pic looks at least 5.
    Too bad he broke

Comment

Looks like the same deer to me but what's funny is I didnt even notice he was a half rack in the second pic lol. When someone asks age I immediately start looking at the body and ignore the rack. Based on those two pics if I had to pick a number I would say 5.

Comment

What do you think based on the teeth?

Comment

I hate aging by tooth wear because it is so inaccurate especially when deer have been on protein for years or their entire lives. Do you have a down shot of top of the teeth? Also, is one side more worn than another or do they look the same?

Comment

The first two pics were last year. This is this year.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post

My guess as well

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post

That’s what I think and 5.5 this year

Comment

Age?

Need pic of the top of the teeth.
                    Based on your pictures alone I would say he was 6 this year but it’s possible he was just a giant bodied 4 year old last year and your jaw is consistent with that. Really need a pic of the top to see the dentin though.

Comment

In the last decade I have evaluated hundreds of jaw bones for ranches all over state and the majority of them have been pretty consistent with what the deer was either known to be or appeared to be on the hoof. Every once in awhile we get one that just seems totally off by 2-3 years.
                      For example, this year, one of the hunters shot a deer we had been watching on our place since 2018. He was already mature when we first saw him 3 seasons ago. This season I guessed he was between 7 and 9 years old.
                      When he was killed his teeth barely looked 4. No question it was the same deer. He had distinct white socks and his rack remained identical every year.
                      There is absolutely no way he was 2 in 2018. Of every deer I’ve ever aged, that one had to be the most confusing I’ve ever seen. These deer have access to protein but they are free ranging hill country deer.
                      I believe jaw bone aging is a useful tool but it isn’t always accurate and I put more stock in field aging, especially if you have some history with the deer.

Comment

Yea deer

Comment

5.5 to 6.5 on the photo from this year

Comment

Looks like a 5 year old to me. You got any top down pics of that jaw?

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                              Looks like a 5 year old to me. You got any top down pics of that jaw?

No I didn’t take any down pics of the jaw. Also didn’t notice he had broke about 15” off until after I shot him lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X