Shot low!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot low!!!!

Well I finally got into a tree stand a couple of days ago. I was hoping to get a shot at a fat doe. Got in the stand a little late because I was waiting on a friend. It felt great to be in the deer woods! The stand that I was in, is a cross trail in some thick cover of a staging area. Several of the local oaks were dropping hard despite the drought. The shooting lanes are under 20 yards. I watched several squirrels for most of the afternoon. I had just about resigned myself to the fact that this hunt was going to be a bust! As often is the case......I heard the familiar snap of a twig behind me in the failing light.

I swiveled my head slowly hoping to see one of the regular does to this area. What I saw was a good buck!!!!I couldn't believe my eyes the buck also appeared to have several points on the left side of his rack mashed together in a non typical configuration. He also appeared to be mature and very heavy horned. He was about 15 yards away and knew that something was not right. I kept my composure even though my heart felt like it was about to jump out of my chest! It seemed like an eternity but the buck finally lowered his head to the ground. He faked like he was eating several times to make sure the coast was clear. When the buck was satisfied that he was all alone he moved towards the stand and turned quartering slightly away at 12 yards. I relaxed and drew my blueridge finding my anchor point. I picked a spot that would put my arrow low in the bucks vitals. I released the arrow and it shot right where I was looking! Right below the buck! I made the decision to shoot a little low thinking that the buck would set his feet at the shot! The buck didn't move a muscle at the sound of the longbow! The buck stood there looking around and walked behind some brush. This also happened several weeks ago on a large boar at the distance of 17 yards! I shot right underneath him as well...... Bad luck I guess!

Needless to say I am sold on traditional archery! I have been fighting inner demons saying that I should shoot compounds and traditional! I have barley shot my compound since picking up my blueridge from bob! Even when I did shoot the compound I had to force myself to do it! I have shot my blueridge almost every day and I can't explain the urge that I have to keep doing it! Guess these traditional bows are pretty quite and I am going to have to rethink my aiming strategy! Lol

I am pretty sure that I am done shooting compounds! On the boar and that buck I had a feeling that i can't describe to you on paper! Remember your first animal with a bow or even rifle? It was like that x1000! I have been hunting for 30+ years and I can honestly say that I didnt even care that I missed that buck! I just can't wait for an opportunity to try again!!!!
    Last edited by killerbee; 10-09-2011, 10:48 AM.

nothing more satisfying than a trad kill.

Comment

Shot a doe with a recurve several years ago and got started on the path! It was awesome! First deer I ever shot at with traditional! Got lucky and killed her at 17 yards! Due for some misses I guess! Lol

Comment

Billy, you don't have to explain the "urge" to most of us here. We have all been where you are now and know all about the urge. I don't see how heroin could be more addictive than trad archery. It is just something that gets in you.

Don't worry about the miss! A clean miss is way better than a bad hit anyday. Besides, you got to have all the fun and did not have to do any of the work!

Good luck on getting hin next time. BTW, I always aim where I want to hit. Through the years I have learned that some deer jump the string and some don't. I have no clue which one it is going to be when i am aiming so i just aim where I know I want the arrow to go. I try not to shoot at nervous or extra alert deer either.

Bisch

Comment

U ain't lying Bisch! I'm hooked! Took me a little while to come around ,But I am here to stay!
          Last edited by killerbee; 10-09-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I always say, It's better to miss low than to hit them high. A low miss causes no serious damage. I would rather miss a few for each one I kill, planing on the drop, than lose one on a bad hit. Those really bother me. You got all the fun, and didn't burn a tag. You will get'em next time.

Comment

Congrats on the experience! Thanks for posting up a great and exciting write up!

Comment

I got the urge to head out and hunt tomorrow. Will have lease all to myself, and we got about 5.5 inches of rain in the past two days. Should be nice and WET

Comment

I enjoyed your write up. Better luck next time!

Comment

better luck next time

I cant seem to shoot under them. Maybe it is the big noisey feathers

Comment

I shot low this weekend in anticipation of the duck... Well he didn't duck and ended up with a wood arrow through his heart. He fell within 40 yards. Been at it 38 years and I still can't get enough of this stuff.
                      Last edited by rubydog; 10-09-2011, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Keep at it.

Comment

I am getting close to the same point that you are at now. I just took my 20th deer with a bow. I shot the doe on the first day of the season with my compound and over the 25+ years of hunting with a compound have taken some really nice bucks. I have been trying to get selected for a traditional only hunt in oklahoma for several years and was lucky enough to get drawn this year. I have been shooting my recurve alot since then and am getting more and more confident by the day. I feel like a beginner again because I am, since I have never shot a deer with traditional equipment but it feels like the start of a new chapter in my hunting adventures. Good luck to both of us.

Comment

dont feel bad. I missed this year to

Comment

Luck of the draw sometimes. Last year the first deer I shot ducked and the arra hit high and back in the rib cage. We never found it and I was just sick because it would have been the biggest deer of my life, gun or bow. So on the next opportunity at a cull buck I compensated for the duck and he didn't even flinch. He then trotted off untouched, looked back and laughed at me--at least I thought he did.

Comment

Working...
                              X