No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My preference, I shoot longbow and recurve, is heavy fixed blade heads. I shoot 63-67# bows and 160-190 grain heads work well out of my bows. I can get by with 145 grain heads, but that brings my total arrow weight down to @600 grains and increases the noise. Quiet arrows at @189 f.p.s seem to work wonders for me. No problem with blood coming out of two holes. I like to reuse broadheads for multiple pigs. Any sturdy head that has stood the test of time will work, if it is sharp, your arrows fly well, and you hit low and tight to the front leg.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
      Did anyone answer you?

You may want to post up in Equipment and Tuning section.
      Yes sir...I got a few responses. I've gone with some 125 grain NAP Thunderheards. Thanks again.

Comment

Looks like we might be able to broadjump the creek and hunt both sides.

Comment

Hunted gate 8 this morning (jan 21) for two hours, starting at sunrise. Hoped the overcast would have them piggies moving. Saw lots of fresh sign, but nothing seen or heard.

Between the rain last week, and two foggy mornings, the grass/leaves was still a little damp and did not make much noise. I could walk relatively quietly.

Whew! But that sunless north wind at 15 mph and 45 degrees was tough! Out in the open it was darn cold and I was buttoning up, and adding scarfs and gloves. Then you got into the trees, out of the wind, and I unbuttoning and stripping off same.
          Last edited by NightStalker; 01-21-2012, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
            Then you got into the trees, out of the wind, and I unbuttoning and stripping off same.

This is a family site. You know the rule, no pics in didn't happen, but do not feel obligated. Please

Comment

Sounds like some UA, some poly pro, and a little fleece are in order.

Comment

Thinking about heading out to Granger this weekend. This will be my first time hog hunting using a bow and hunting @ granger. Any tips on where to start looking, to get a better chance of seeing a hog this time of the year? Thanks!

Comment

There are no hogs at Granger!

Comment

Originally posted by Francism View Post
                    Thinking about heading out to Granger this weekend. This will be my first time hog hunting using a bow and hunting @ granger. Any tips on where to start looking, to get a better chance of seeing a hog this time of the year? Thanks!
                    Between #7 and #6 is good. Across the creek from #7 is good. Do some walking and keep you eyes and ears open.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                      Between #7 and #6 is good. Across the creek from #7 is good. Do some walking and keep you eyes and ears open.
                      Excellent! Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by Francism View Post
                        were going to number 6 sunday morn if you want to hook up

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
                          were going to number 6 sunday morn if you want to hook up

I'll be out there Saturday, just staying for the day. I definitely would like to meet up with you guys some other time. Let me know when if your thinking about heading out there again sometime next month.

Comment

Hope to make it up there for a Saturday-Sunday hunt, 4-5 Feb. Do a little pre-GRXH scouting.

Comment

Sorry to butt in and ask in the hog huntin thread but, anyone know how the squirrel hunting is right now and a good place to go? Me and couple friends are going in the morning and afternoon. And trying to get a heads up on where to start. Much appreciated if anyone can help. Thanks

Comment

Sore Finger on the North side of the lake.

Comment

Working...
                                X