Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is considered Livestock to qualify Ag Exempt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One other thing is to consider: The threshold between spending time and money on cattle, feed, upkeep, etc & just paying the danged taxes and do whatever you want with the property..

Comment

My buddy has an exemption because he has a slight grade on his property . Part of some kind of errosion plan. There is a ton of things as metioned. My brother in law has a bunch of goats and some donkeys. the donkeys do pretty good keeping coyotes away. The donkeys are easy they eat anything and mind their on busy. Goats do seem like quite a bit of upkeep.

Comment

Plant your food plots in something you can make hay with and forget cows and goats

Comment

What about chickens. You'd get free eggs and eat them as needed to keep your heard managed

Comment

Originally posted by game stalker View Post
            Plant your food plots in something you can make hay with and forget cows and goats
            This

We do ag exemption without having livestock all the time (the horses don't count and we have a steer now but don't always have one)

We planted a coastal field, an olive grove, grapes, an orchard, etc. and didn't have a problem getting it approved.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
              This

We do ag exemption without having livestock all the time (the horses don't count and we have a steer now but don't always have one)

We planted a coastal field, an olive grove, grapes, an orchard, etc. and didn't have a problem getting it approved.
              Yes we have a coastal field we bale on part of the place and are AG exempt because of it

Comment

Grow hay...

Comment

Originally Posted by game stalker<br />
                  <br />
                  <br />
                  This<br />
                  <br />
                  We do ag exemption without having livestock all the time (the horses don't count and we have a steer now but don't always have one)<br />
                  <br />
                  Really!? I plan do these any way so...but you have to sell em to someone? Or for personal consumption?

Id rather go w this route!

Comment

lease cheap to the local school FFA!

Comment

Originally posted by TXSTDU View Post
                      What about chickens. You'd get free eggs and eat them as needed to keep your heard managed
                      I plan on having chickens, build em a coop and use it for eggs, meat, and to keep bugs at bay around garden area.

Comment

Originally posted by game stalker View Post
                        Thanks. Lookin into it now.

Comment

*Disclosure* consult with your real accountant for real tax advice......

Ag or wildlife exemption is for county tax, NOT federal. You can have it in wildlife, and have cattle, grow crops, grow trees. The crop, equipment, or livestock is for federal deductions. Equipment, which is my largest deduction by far, can be used for either. I would suggest timber, if you don't want to mess with livestock, but will need deductions for equipment. You might also look into CRP, but doubt you could get that samll an area in.

Most counties consider 10-15 head of cattle required to keep ag. It would be tough to keep that many head on property that size.
                          Last edited by BrianL; 04-19-2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post
                            Really!? I plan do these any way so...but you have to sell em to someone? Or for personal consumption?

Id rather go w this route!
                            This is the master guideline for the State of Texas that the counties use. Probably more information than you want as it's written in standard bureaucracyese.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                              *Disclosure* consult with your real accountant for real tax advice......

Ag or wildlife exemption is for county tax, NOT federal. You can have it in wildlife, and have cattle, grow crops, grow trees. The crop, equipment, or livestock is for federal deductions. Equipment, which is my largest deduction by far, can be used for either. I would suggest timber, if you don't want to mess with livestock, but will need deductions for equipment. You might also look into CRP, but doubt you could get that samll an area in.

Most counties consider 10-15 head of cattle required to keep ag. It would be tough to keep that many head on property that size.
                              Already met w DNR NRCS and not qualified.

Yes, lookin for Federal tax deduction.

Timber? I think too small?

Comment

Hmm I have always wanted longhorns so that is probably what I would get to put on my property.

Comment

Working...
                                X