Thoughts on stainless barrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on stainless barrels?

I’ve read they can be ever so slightly more accurate. Obviously, they are weather resistant.

Can they be cut/crowned just as easily?

What are you trying to build & what is the application...I think most custom rigs these days still use 4140 chrome moly & 416 stainless?? I haven't checked to see what the bench rest guys are winning with these days but don't necessarily believe one or the other will always have an accuracy advantage from the material itself??

Comment

Looking at factory barrels.

$50-$100 difference

Comment

I don't think there is much if any advantage to either material, if the blank quality is the same. more the workmanship and tools used to bore and rifle them along with cut the chamber has more to do with accuracy. In factory barrels that can sometimes be a crapshoot or like Forest Gump so well stated "You never know what you are going to get"

I have had factory Remington 700s that shot 3+MOA on a good day with the best reloads I could make for it and another 700 that has shot many sub .25 inch groups and my best 5 shot group ever at 1/8 inch for 5 shots at 100 yards.

Comment

Think you're splitting hairs especially on a factory gun

Comment

In a factory production rifle, you wouldn’t notice accuracy difference. Go with stainless for rust resistance.

Comment

FYI - stainless rusts , especially the bore if you neglect proper care & cleaning

reason for price difference - chromoly is cheaper to produce

if built to precise BR standards, both are equally as accurate

Comment

both accurate. both will rust.

so, which looks better?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

as mentioned, its all preference. Stainless will give you a bit more leeway in lack of preventative care, but it will rust as mentioned above. The accuracy speed of the barrel are all a function of tolerances in manufacturing. Go with a top end barrel maker, and you will be happy either way!

Comment

Like my ss fluted barrel on my 700 .

Comment

Working...
                    X