Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-05-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood
Default Tradition or Want?

To be fair Need is a player too. I had breakfast with a buddy this morning that has a Ranch in East Texas. Did yíall kill anything? No. Saw a bunch of does. Why didnít you shoot a couple? Too much work...
I realized my buddy really hunts a day maybe 2 but itís just out of tradition. He donít really ďwantĒ to hunt.

Iím in the ď I need to kill something groupĒ by the way. I just feel better.
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #2
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Do you hunt because you want to if it’s just tradition?
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 10:21 PM   #3
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Both for me. But I don’t hunt near as much as I want.
And it is a lot of work if you process your own
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Because I want/need to. I donít absolutely need the meat, but I need to hunt. I grew up with a diehard wade fisherman father and I could really care less about it now. Iíd rather sit in a deer stand and not see a deer for three days than go stand out in the bay and catch a limit of trout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 10:26 PM   #5
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

The older I get the less I have to kill deer just to kill as a whole....does culls skims, mgmt deer etc.... Now put a good old mature buck that tickles my fancy or any of the three dove types in front of me, and I revert back to 20 years old stat!
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #6
N.DaWoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I bow hunt because it is exciting. I guess when it stops being fun. I'll find something else to do with every waking moment of my life.
N.DaWoods is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 10:45 PM   #7
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke

I didn't have any traditions. My parents or grandparents didnt hunt.. I grew up fishing, only because we lived close to the lake. I didnt develop a want to for hunting until my mid 20s. Now, I love the sport. I've learned mountains of information and love the continued challenges it provides.. plus I love the meat it provides

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #8
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

I love the challenge of getting close enough to kill a mature public land buck.. I also prefer to eat wild game over store bought meat.. so I'll wack a doe or cull etc to fill my tags..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #9
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I hate running out of tags. I had to make myself take a break. I only have one tag left after a month of Archery season. I love hunting them, shooting them, eating them. I just feel better when I'm in the woods. I think it's maybe even a need for me. I crave the thrill of the hunt.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #10
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

My grandfather started taking me deer hunting when I was 7. That was the mid 70ís. I guess you could say itís a tradition since we have always done it. Itís in my DNA. I love my time in the woods. I am lucky to get to bowhunt year round. When my wife says we are getting low on axis, i go hunt no matter what time of year it is.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 06:50 AM   #11
cram369
Four Point

Have always enjoyed spending time in the woods, and enjoy roaming the woods and scouting about as much as hunting.

cram369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 06:52 AM   #12
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I hate running out of tags. I had to make myself take a break. I only have one tag left after a month of Archery season. I love hunting them, shooting them, eating them. I just feel better when I'm in the woods. I think it's maybe even a need for me. I crave the thrill of the hunt.
This guy gets me!
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 07:03 AM   #13
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

I'm not a person that really feels anything for traditions or "heirlooms". It is just stuff to me. I hunt because I enjoy just getting away. But I also "sleep in" more than I used to. I am also perfectly happy to stay in from the afternoon hunt and cook for the people there at the time. I could tag out every year if I wanted to, but I usually kill a couple deer and maybe an axis or an aoudad. But if I did not have a place to hunt and get away I would really miss it.
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 07:08 AM   #14
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

These days seems there’s a lotta wants to remove the heads and needs to dump them in peoples yards. They Makin new traditions?
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 07:25 AM   #15
Randy M
Eight Point

Quote:
Yeah, this is me too. I enjoy everything about it from field to freezer. I process my own and we live off of what ever I kill, for the year. My youngest daughter is usually good for at least one deer/year as well. The only time we buy beef is if we get a hankering for a ribeye or chicken. Other than that, venison is the backbone of the majority of our meals.
Randy M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #16
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Tradition or Want?

Quote:
I just feel better when I'm in the woods. I think it's maybe even a need for me..

Same here... I just donít have the need to fill every tag like I used to. I usually pass any leftover lease allotment I donít fill onto the other membersí kids or guests at the lease. I get more enjoyment out of them killing my allotted does than I do. I guess after years of whacking does on my Dadís MLD place to get their numbers kinda ruined that for me and I got my fill. I get my fixes on my ďtrophyĒ or maybe a good mature skim if no trophy is available.....and then of course dove, turkey and more recently, pigs.

Last edited by Smart; 11-06-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #17
Bort
Eight Point

I go crazy if I donít get into the wild every now and then!

I definitely have tons of traditions centered around hunting, but thats not why I do it. I do feel the ďneedĒ to hunt, but I donít necessarily have to kill something to enjoy it (although itís obviously more exciting when you are successful).

With each passing year, I love wild game meat more and more. I love processing, cooking, and eating it a lot.

That being said, some Sunday mornings when itís a bit warm, and I have a long drive ahead of me before starting my week, I will skip shooting a doe, because itís too much work or a hassle given the circumstances.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #18
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

I could have tagged out the first day I hunted, but I have yet to kill a deer. I have passed deer bigger than 90% of the deer taken on my lease. I dont hunt to kill or for food. I hunt because I love being outdoors, improving habitat and watching deer. When a deer bigger than my last one or one that is fully mature and at least 6 years old walks out I will take him. If conditions are right and I have time I will take a doe or two and give the meat to people who dont have a whole lot in the way of money.
Javelin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #19
Jason85
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can!

I am in the group of "I want to kill something but I don't have a place to hunt this year minus my backyard for pigs." I think I enjoy processing my own game as much as I do killing.
Jason85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #20
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I just like to hunt, it relaxes me and it takes a pretty good one to get me to shoot it. I’ll shoot a doe or two for meat, not because I need it but like the way it taste.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #21
rtjh
Six Point

I get most enjoyment out of spending time with my buddies/family out in the woods.
rtjh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #22
bollomb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Trinity

I have to agree I enjoy the hunt, seeing my boy experience things in the outdoors for the first time that does it for me. I could've killed a pile of deer now but i catch myself holding out for that "one" now more. I enjoy my time around camp with all my buddies almost as much as shooting one. Just relaxing being out there in the woods for me
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #23
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Anderson County, Montgomery County, Rusk County, Polk County, and Throckmorton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram369 View Post
Have always enjoyed spending time in the woods, and enjoy roaming the woods and scouting about as much as hunting.

Quote:
Yep that's me. I don't "need" the meat, as I think very few these days hunt because of that. I do process my own after the thrill of the planning, hunting, and killing is done. I enjoy that part of it too. The whole thing from beginning to end is enjoyable and rewarding to me. It's more than a hobby, it's part of who I am.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #24
youngbuck1
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX/ND/S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
The older I get the less I have to kill deer just to kill as a whole....does culls skims, mgmt deer etc.... Now put a good old mature buck that tickles my fancy or any of the three dove types in front of me, and I revert back to 20 years old stat!
Same. I do want to expand into more western hunting however. Sitting in a deer stand I like to watch the deer but will not shoot unless itís a bruiser. Just not mad at em anymore.
youngbuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #25
BeltonLaw
Four Point

Hunt In: Mills and Bell Counties

My wife says that I am more of a "deer watcher" than a "deer hunter". LOL! I am in the camp that feels at peace in the woods. I go hard at work and home and truly enjoy the opportunity to sit in a tree with no other distractions, no cell phone ringing, nobody needing anything from me, just me and the woods. Nothing beats that morning hunt as the sun slowly starts to crest the horizon and the woods begins to wake up. It is a spiritual experience for me. Having deer show up is just icing on the cake.
BeltonLaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #26
centex_aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County, Williamson County, Burnet County

Everyone is in a different hunter stage. Nothing wrong with that. Accept it and don't get butt hurt over it.

Shooter Stage
Limiting-Out Stage
Trophy Stage
Method Stage
Sportsman Stage
centex_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #27
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

There was a time when I hunted for sport and for the challenge. I'd eat what I shot, but it would take forever because my other half wouldn't allow me to process it inside the house, or cook it. She's gone now, so I get most of my meat from deer I've killed. I eat mostly venison. Now, mine is primarily axis, but that is what is for supper in some fashion nearly every night.

So now, while I love to get in the woods, I kill deer to eat. I am going to be due some meat here in the next month or so, and one will go down for food. She'll have spots and will eat quite well. They are amazing in taco soup by the way!
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #28
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

I need to hunt; I'd probably die inside if I couldn't spend the time outdoors hunting that I do. I certainly don't need to kill everytime, or even most of the time. But I need to be out there and have just a chance at some notching some tags. I also have a lot respect for those guys who try for 5-10-20 years before getting their first kill, or only get 1 kill a year even. I probably would have reverted to being a gatherer at that point.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #29
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

For myself, I am only going to kill something if it's going on my wall. I don't particularly like eating it so don't ever kill anything just for the freezer. I didn't kill a deer last year and was fine with it.

Now my boys, they want to shoot everything, and they like eating it. I gave my youngest son the green light to shoot a doe last Sunday and after he slid into the shooter seat he said "Dad, look how much I'm shaking.". Luckily for the doe, she slipped off into the woods before he could get a shot, but buck fever had already hit and he never even put the scope on her.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top