Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you ain’t first you’re last.

Comment

I would let the majority get age on them on a low fence place. Really hard/impossible to change the genetics in an environment you can't control. Having said that I will, I will shoot bucks without brow tines at 3. Supposedly that is the most inherent trait that they will carry.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
        That’s very unfortunate for me.

This buck has a thyroid problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
          Pasture born in deer breeder speak means pregnant mother released and fawn born in pasture, or non tagged fawn born in pasture after genetics were added.
          Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by RWNJRB View Post
            I'm not going to try and explain myself. If you don't agree then just keep doing what you think you need to do. But on my place if I have a 6 pt no brow tine 3 yr old that is my worst buck in that class he dies. same with other ages.. I'm high fence and MLD so can be little more strict than low fence guys. We have to shoot several to keep numbers in check and pick the worst looking ones in each class and cull. The one above would be dead.
            MLD 3 properties with X amount of tags that need to be filled is a whole different deal by itself. Certainly if I have to shoot a bunch of deer I'm going to skim the bottom of the barrel on several age classes, and not every deer is going to get the opportunity to get old. This is just not the case on every property. If you are not MLD and you are just shooting off your tags on an 5000 acre low fence ranch then you can let them all get old. I'm not wasting one of my 2 buck tags on a 3 year old 6 point. This is a complex topic that has a lot of influencing variables to making people's answers.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
              MLD 3 properties with X amount of tags that need to be filled is a whole different deal by itself. Certainly if I have to shoot a bunch of deer I'm going to skim the bottom of the barrel on several age classes, and not every deer is going to get the opportunity to get old. This is just not the case on every property. If you are not MLD and you are just shooting off your tags on an 5000 acre low fence ranch then you can let them all get old. I'm not wasting one of my 2 buck tags on a 3 year old 6 point. This is a complex topic that has a lot of influencing variables to making people's answers.
              You aren't required to fill all the issued tags.

Comment

Off the subject a little bit But looking at a new lease it’s going to be MLD 1050 acres High fence all native deer . How many buck tags would you think we would be issued on that place around 1 deer per 25 acres ?

Comment

At what age do you guys start culling?

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                  Off the subject a little bit But looking at a new lease it’s going to be MLD 1050 acres High fence all native deer . How many buck tags would you think we would be issued on that place around 1 deer per 25 acres ?

2 or 3

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                    2 or 3

Probably more like 6 or 7, depending on fawn crop.

Comment

Working...
                    X