No announcement yet.

Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Mailman's way of thinking (playing up). This is why my son is the #1 pitcher for Conroe Varsity since he was a freshman (sophomore now). He has been through the grease with top teams across the country since 9U...playing up a year or two along the way. I will say that I NEVER let him play in the fall. That time was reserved for Rest, Family Time, Hunting and the Holidays. I also let him take almost a year off this past year to pursue his other sport he loves which is Golf.

You know, I put him in baseball (select level) a long time ago because of his talent but honestly, the good times and life long friendships we have made along the way is what I love the most. Being involved in baseball teaches your kid not only about being responsible but also teaches them great lessons in life, as do most sports.

Comment

Originally posted by b.latiolais View Post
      League is a joke. I coach his team in league and have 10 & 11 year olds that simply don't know the game and the parents think they are entitled to just as much playing time as all the other kids. But, my son is on a mission to make all stars so we stick with it. If I had to choose between the two, it would be select ball all day long.
      All due respect, but League ball is specifically for kids to learn the game, the fundamentals of the game in a competitive format.
      Thats why every kid that signs up, gets on a team. Try outs are simply to see where the kid is skill wise...not if he makes a team.
      And in league ball the rules say the kids get the same amount of playing time.

Comment

Johnny and Mailman are spot on... I watched HS tryouts this year as my oldest will be a fish next year.. you could definitely tell the ones who play/played select ball... We have made some and will continue to make some great memories playing ball..

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
          All due respect, but League ball is specifically for kids to learn the game, the fundamentals of the game in a competitive format.
          Thats why every kid that signs up, gets on a team. Try outs are simply to see where the kid is skill wise...not if he makes a team.
          And in league ball the rules say the kids get the same amount of playing time.
          I understand its about fundamentals, but the rules state that each kid shall play a minimum of 6 consecutive outs and one at bat. This is my first year coaching that we have these rules and it is not "Free Substitution". Only the 9 players on the field get to bat as well. I'm all for teaching kids the game, but in fairness to all the kids we need to be competitive as well. We are only 2 games in and I have parents on me about their kids sitting the bench more than others. I don't agree with the mentality that every kid should get the same amount of playing time.

Comment

I understand its about fundamentals, but the rules state that each kid shall play a minimum of 6 consecutive outs and one at bat. This is my first year coaching that we have these rules and it is not "Free Substitution". Only the 9 players on the field get to bat as well. I'm all for teaching kids the game, but in fairness to all the kids we need to be competitive as well. We are only 2 games in and I have parents on me about their kids sitting the bench more than others. I don't agree with the mentality that every kid should get the same amount of playing time.
            No argument from me on this. I'm the dad with his mouth shut except to encourage. I'm not a coach and envy those that can.

Comment

My oldest played select for years (lower level) and had fun. He played local league ball as well. This past summer he played for a high level select team trying to get in front of coaches for a college scholarship. I can't say it made any difference as far as getting a scholarship. What it did do is allow him to see the level of competition he will have to be at to play college baseball. There is a huge difference between HS ball and even Jr College.

Comment

My son has played select since 7. Currently playing on a 12U BN Phenom team that is pretty darn good. His mom and I love it just as much as he does, but we stay positive parents and let him find his own way in baseball.

I truly believe all levels of baseball exist because they are the right fit for someone. League play (or city ball) for those without the time, money, ability or desire to play select...AA ball for those that don't want or don't have the ability for the competition of higher levels, etc. etc. on up the chain. The biggest problem I've seen with youth baseball is with the parents, not the kids (although this probably goes for most youth sports). Most parents don't realize their kids already feel immense pressure playing and would love nothing more than to please them with their level of play - no matter how good or bad it is.

Comment

Had 2 boys play select from 8 yrs old to College. Both 3 year Varsity starters on playoff teams in a very tough district. Playing select gave them the competitive advantage and mental toughness to succeed.

Now, it was expensive but we made it about family, building memory's and friendships. Best advice I can give is to find a competitive club team with a good core group of kids with good families and stick with it. Don't jump from team to team and be that parent/kid combo that everyone talks about.

Good luck and make it about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev View Post
                    Had 2 boys play select from 8 yrs old to College. Both 3 year Varsity starters on playoff teams in a very tough district. Playing select gave them the competitive advantage and mental toughness to succeed.

Now, it was expensive but we made it about family, building memory's and friendships. Best advice I can give is to find a competitive club team with a good core group of kids with good families and stick with it. Don't jump from team to team and be that parent/kid combo that everyone talks about.

Good luck and make it about them.
                    agreed. I work with some guys that think we are crazy and say that we spend too much time at practices and games but we love it. I also contend that we spend more time together as a family than a bunch of families do these days, whether it be in the car driving to and from (insert sports event) or sitting around between games with the team watching all the boys actin' out lol.

it also gives me and my wife one on one time with each of our boys when we split up and take them to their respective events, which is very important IMO, not to mention they aren't crazy *** little ***** when they are seperated

Comment

played it growing up but its a whole nother animal now unfortunately!

It is very sad how it has become with all sports. The parents live thru there kids and make you feel like your less if your not playing. The college exposure isn't as much as they claim as I have many college coach buddies at D1 schools

Remember only 1% of athletes in the US will ever play any collegiate ball

DISCLAIMER: I am a coach myself

Comment

Originally posted by SPUD View Post
                        Yup
                        Gosh this makes me laugh....But spend anytime around any sports where $$$ is involved and see the craziness of parents.

Especially basketball

Comment

Select baseball is not for everyone, but it does make your kid better at being competitive and be able to play when there is something on the line. Do I think League ball is bad, no it has it's place and for some who just want to play at that level then it is great for them.

My son played select ball from the time he was 7 and the is a Jr. in High school now, He also played Showcase ball. He has decided that he wants to play school ball this year and next but he doesn't want to play college ball. So it is all up to the kid, if you are playing select ball thinking that your kid will be the next D1 super star then you will be very disappointed, let the kid find his way with a little guidance from you parents.

Comment

My son is 9 and plays League ball. I have enjoyed being an assistant coach with all of the teams he's played on over the last 5 years. He's been asked to play select and we've gotten a few calls from coaches asking if he would like to play in a tournament or 2. We have played in some tournaments.
                            I don't encourage or discourage him either way, the goal for me and I hope him is to have fun.
                            We get some extra hitting and pitching instruction on the side. I feel like if he's comfortable that will build confidence.
                            Select ball has always been in the back of my mind but he really doesn't care as long as he's having fun. I will say we have seen the Daddy ball before and its extremely irritating
                            but I figure as long as the coach is taking the lead responsibility he can do that.

Love these baseball threads. We need to start one with pictures and keep it going throughout the season.
                            Last edited by Texas8point; 03-30-2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

League is a joke. I coach his team in league and have 10 & 11 year olds that simply don't know the game and the parents think they are entitled to just as much playing time as all the other kids. But, my son is on a mission to make all stars so we stick with it. If I had to choose between the two, it would be select ball all day long.
                              hate to say it but its true, completely different world. after last spring we played the rest of the year with our tournament team. both boys wanted to play in city ball and the coach of our tournament team encourages it to give them more game reps. the difference in the kids and parents is night and day. kids show up with the same gloves they had for 3 years and you can still read the model in the palm. parents dont take 15min a day to throw with them so you get 10yr olds that cant catch, and are scared of a hard throw to them. then when their kid isnt in the top of the lineup they get upset. they get upset because the coaches havent taught them how to hit or catch. i caoched a city team last year and 3 kids on that team knew how to catch, had 4 first time players. after my top 3 batters i couldnt pay the kids to stay in the box...tournament atmosphere is so much better. parents arent as likely to act out, and the kids can all play, for the most part. ive seen a couple teams that shouldnt be out there yet.

Comment

From a dad that went through Little League, a Little League World Series, tons of select ball, high school ball, and D1 college ball, if my opinion means anything at all, and I were to give my best recommendation to you all, it would be this:

Play league, select, and any other baseball you can, but don't make it the end-all-be-all. We parents know so little of what really goes on. We are conditioned to believe that if they don't develop, they won't get a D1 scholly and/or won't go pro.

Over the years I watched a great many of the 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 year old studs wash out in high school when priorities change. I've watched many high school studs wash out quickly in college. Talent will reveal itself whether you play tons of select ball and pay millions of dollars or not.

Colleges will learn of talent whether you play select or not.

Pro scouts will see talented players whether they play select or not.

From when my kid played the only one of them that is currently in the major leagues is the one kid that stuck to Little League though every select team in Houston wanted him. He played none. By high school he was so heavily scouted that he participated in private batting practice events with MLB teams. He signed a full ride to Arizona, but went in the first round to the Angels (one slot in front of Mike Trout). He is currently the starting center fielder for the St. Luis Cardinals. Randal Grichuk.

Randal's dad and I are good friends. He will tell you the same thing. Have fun. If the talent is there, it will show and it will be seen. But don't expect that all this play will get them a D1 scholly or drafted. Only true talent does that, and again, it shows regardless.

Comment

Working...
                                X