Shooting to fatigue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting to fatigue.

With the new heavier bow on the way I've been outside shooting until my back/shoulders/wrists are just exhausted. I shot 41 times tonight with the 45lb bow, draw to anchor and hold for a count of "ten Mississippi", then release, before I was shaking too badly to hit a 6" pie plate at 15 yards. Put that one away and pulled out the 35lb Sage and did another 57 shots before I was fighting pain in between my shoulder blades and shaking so badly I could barely hit the backstop. I'll be sore tomorrow but have made some gains. Form is solid, anchor is great.

My plan is once that 60lb Grizzly gets here I'll be able to at least draw it to anchor, once. I'll not insult Fred Bear by owning one of his bows that I can't draw. You've got to honor your hero's in any way you can. I'll honor that man by being able to at least draw a bow he envisioned/created.

/tired and sore Richard

I'd take it easy at first for sure. Is that 45lb bow the heaviest bow you've shot so far?

Comment

Sell the 60lb bow once you get it is my advice. 45 to 60 is a HUGE unnecessary jump. You will do nothing but hurt your form and progress. JMO

Comment

Don't develop form issues over it.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

take it easy, shooting that much only creates bad shooting habits, develops unnecessary tendinitis, and so forth, quality practice will out shine quantity any day of the week, take your time, smooth draws, aim, analyze the process , take notes and don't get frustrated...keep shooting 35-40# bows, no reason to shoot 60#, might as well sell it, or keep it for 5-10 years down the road, because without proper coaching or technique it will take you that long to shoot a 60# bow

Comment

Just take your time and enjoy the sport

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

45 to 60 is a big jump, take it slow. I don't subscribe to the thought that 60 is too much, Personally I would hit the gym: weight bench and start doing some bench press work and maybe some rowing/straight pulls with the cables. hell pushups will do you good to build strength. I got into trad back in 07 and started with a 55 lb Grizzly, every body told me I would develop bad form. I am naturally a stout guy so It took me a few months and I was shooting it quite well. Most all of my bows are 60 or higher, I just like a heavier bow. I got off work early today and actually got out my SK and shot it for awhile, that bow is 65lbs. Post up some pics Richard I have 3 grizzlies myself.

Comment

Don't try to strengthen up with a bow. Instead hit the weights.
                I shoot low to mid 50, but can also shoot 60+ quiet well. Do your push-ups and bench presses. Strengthen your back and shoulders. Shoot that Grizzly only a couple times a day, no more than 6 shots and you'll be on it sooner than you think.
                BTW, there is a video of me shooting a 110# longbow on here somewhere, so I've shot heavy and always return to my 50's

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

They are building 50# bows now that shoot like the 60# bows of yesteryear. A good example is the 50# Whippenstick Phoenix that is listed on Archery Talk. That one used to be mine so I know from first hand experience. Limb angle, materials, and limb design along with better strings have made it possible to not have to pull as much weight to get the performance. You do remember that you need to find a few heavy arrows for the heavy Grizzly. I would recommend something in the 550 grain range for starters.

Comment

Listen to Gatorgar. It is not worth hurting yourself. If you can't pull it comfortably hang it on the wall or sell to someone else. Remember the objective is hitting the intended target with the arrow.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. I'll for sure take my time with this one. I do have some arrows that I'll use for it already. 620g CE Heritage 250's that I can't shoot out of my lighter bows but I think will work fine to start with.

Richard.

Comment

I have a different goal, but thought I'd share a link to what I think has helped improve my strength (when I do it): http://www.bowhunter.com/bow-fitness...or-bowhunters/.

I've had two surgeries on one shoulder, one on the other. I'm pulling sixty pounds on the compound right now, but I want to be drawing more.

Comment

If you get that 60# bow and can't handle it just send it my way

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                            They are building 50# bows now that shoot like the 60# bows of yesteryear. A good example is the 50# Whippenstick Phoenix that is listed on Archery Talk. That one used to be mine so I know from first hand experience. Limb angle, materials, and limb design along with better strings have made it possible to not have to pull as much weight to get the performance. You do remember that you need to find a few heavy arrows for the heavy Grizzly. I would recommend something in the 550 grain range for starters.
                            I just looked at one of these.... talk about beautiful bows.

Comment

Shoot what you want but I feel like giving some advice tonight. While your shooting to fatigue, get about 75% to where you'd call fatigued. Fling a broadhead or maybe just a bare shaft. That will show just how bad your form has slipped. Your brain is taking photographs of every shot and trying to learn. Like said above, practice is all about quality. Not trying to be offensive but end the night on a good shot. You can't do that beat to death. I would just slowly get into the heavier bow. Shoot a few shots with it every night while you practice with what you can handle. And good luck to you brother.

Comment

Working...
                              X