Laguna Atascosa Archery Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
    I was drawn for the LANWR Archery Deer for Dec 2nd-6th, first timer down there. Very pumped up about it.

Seems that the majority of individuals recommend tripod over pop up, and still hunting over stalking. LANWR has some bogus rule about not attaching any stands to trees, not even a ladder, which I cant wrap my head around. .

Scouting dates are only Nov 5th&6th and Nov 12th&13th. To bad for us hunters drawn on the 2nd Archery dates (Dec2-6th) we don't get an opportunity to set up immediately before our selected dates. I feel that should be changed and scouting should be allowed, as there isn't any reason I see on Nov 30th/Dec 1st that hunters should not be able to scout. If you call, please voice your opinion on that matter (in favor of Scouting Nov 30th/Dec 1st) if you agree.

General consensus seems to be; prepare for lots of ticks and rattle snakes, shooting young deer is frowned upon, sitting in someone else blind/set up can catch you more than a frown, and most pressure will be near roads, expect other hunters to not show good hunting etiquette and walk right through where you're hunting.

Other than that, sounds like a challenging and rewarding hunt!
    Lol never even hunted there and already complaining about the hunt? It'll be a rough go around for you man. It's a different world.

And the ladder stand, rule doesn't really matter. It'll take you the entire hunt to find a tree to hang a stand on.

Comment

Scouting dates are only Nov 5th&6th and Nov 12th&13th. To bad for us hunters drawn on the 2nd Archery dates (Dec2-6th) we don't get an opportunity to set up immediately before our selected dates.
      Just curious, where did you find the info about the scouting restrictions? So if we wanted to use a tripod we'd have to take it in and setup on the first hunting day?

My son and I were also drawn for this hunt, second set of dates.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
        Lol never even hunted there and already complaining about the hunt? It'll be a rough go around for you man. It's a different world.

And the ladder stand, rule doesn't really matter. It'll take you the entire hunt to find a tree to hang a stand on.
        This is what happens when it takes no effort to apply...

Comment

We've always been allowed to set up tripod or pop ups the day before the hunt. I will call over there Tuesday to see if that's still the case and let everyone know.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
            We've always been allowed to set up tripod or pop ups the day before the hunt. I will call over there Tuesday to see if that's still the case and let everyone know.

Not always just the last 10 years or so. Oh well not an issue for me this year anyway. Can't wait to read some of the good times stories the new to Laguna hunters post. Lol

Comment

Called and spoke to LANWR today...scouting are on the weekends leading up to 11/25 to 11/29 hunt. Also, setting up tripod/blinds will be allowed on the day day prior to the hunt, so on 11/24. That one day can also be used for scouting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I will be hunting the December 2-6 dates. Are we allowed to scout and set up on the 1st? I will be going up there alone so if anyone needs some help we their harvest I wouldn't mind helping out if they will return the favor!

Comment

So for those who are doing archery and are hunting nilgai, what's your bow setup? This will be my first time hunting nilgai. I have 2 bows, will bring both one for backup...both are 70lbs DW and arrows are 420gr with 100gr Muzzy head. It'll do for whitetail, but curious about nilgai...with shot placement being key. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Dtapping-zombie View Post
                    So for those who are doing archery and are hunting nilgai, what's your bow setup? This will be my first time hunting nilgai. I have 2 bows, will bring both one for backup...both are 70lbs DW and arrows are 420gr with 100gr Muzzy head. It'll do for whitetail, but curious about nilgai...with shot placement being key. Thanks

That should do the trick with a decent shot... plenty of YouTube videos to validate this.. I'm guessing a 50 yard shot may be par for the course though.

Comment

Oh yeah that was the other thing...what's the average shot distance taken on a nilgai, if anyone knows.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post

"very pumped up about it"
                        "sounds like a challenging and rewarding hunt!"
                        Sounds like I'm excited, not complaining. Also, I'm no newbie to bow hunting, I get that bringing a 15' ladder stand to LANWR would be silly(if that's would you actually thought I was referring too). As for my, extendable/retractable 3-6' ladder stand with seat. Its been approved, and will work on short brush. Not my first time in S.Tx.

Thanks for the advice, BigRed323.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                          Just curious, where did you find the info about the scouting restrictions? So if we wanted to use a tripod we'd have to take it in and setup on the first hunting day?

My son and I were also drawn for this hunt, second set of dates.

Thanks.
                          I called and spoke with a park ranger, she advised me of those scouting dates.

The LANWR manager returned my call today, to answer some questions. He confirmed the aforementioned scouting dates. However, as for Nov 30TH/Dec 1st, the manager advised that hunters would be able to access the refuge via vehicle on paved roads, and by foot or bicycle on gravel roads. He did not confirm that stand setup/placement was an option on those dates, yet.

To answer you question, Yes, that's what appears to be. (Again, hard to wrap my head around that logic) It sounds like Dec 2 will a chaotic afternoon for those individuals needing to set up after the orientation.

Comment

"very pumped up about it"
                            "sounds like a challenging and rewarding hunt!"
                            Sounds like I'm excited, not complaining. Also, I'm no newbie to bow hunting, I get that bringing a 15' ladder stand to LANWR would be silly(if that's would you actually thought I was referring too). As for my, extendable/retractable 3-6' ladder stand with seat. Its been approved, and will work on short brush. Not my first time in S.Tx.

Thanks for the advice, BigRed323.
                            Anytime buddy. Anytime.

Comment

Called and spoke to LANWR today...scouting are on the weekends leading up to 11/25 to 11/29 hunt. Also, setting up tripod/blinds will be allowed on the day day prior to the hunt, so on 11/24. That one day can also be used for scouting.

Good deal

Comment

Oh yeah that was the other thing...what's the average shot distance taken on a nilgai, if anyone knows.
                                Had a friend take a bull last year. About 20 yards. Ran about 250 yards in the thick stuff. Took us a few hours to find him.

Comment

Working...
                                X