Big Cat Down/ Mountain Lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Cat Down/ Mountain Lion

After we put my nephew on his first deer early Friday evening, we were all pumped. I just didn't think too many things as good as this in a weekend could happen....but it got better.

I had a big main frame 10 bumping a doe hard on Saturday and Sunday morning....a sure shooter, but I just couldn't put it together with the bow. I'll be focusing more on him after Thanksgiving.

So Sunday morning, I hear my brother shoot from my other set with his rifle...I note the time...around 7..a little after. We have poor service at the ranch in Comstock so I send him a snapchat and ask if that was him which I was sure it was. He replies back around 15 minutes later, with.."Yes it was, i shot a mountain lion". I stood straight up un my bow blind and asked if he was serious and not to bull****...he relies..."Dead serious, a big lion". He then tells me he didn't want to start tracking until I was there so I told him come get me....the big 10 had come through and was in the area but I had a Mountain lion on my mind at this point. I've never even seen one in 25 years of hunting.

So he shows up and I can see in his and my nephews faces that he lion at 25 yds from them had a lasting effect. I told my brother give me the play back...did he squeeze slow....what he saw in the cross hairs as he squeezed the trigger and what reaction the cat had. We went over it like a play until we arrived back at the set they were in. He shows me exactly where he was standing when he lunged from the trees to try and catch the buck that was feeding at the feeder....but he missed and my brother couldn't believe what he'd seen.

When the lion pounced and missed....he crouched under the feeder....as my brother out his rifle out of the bow blind his chair squeaked and the lion stared right into their ground blind of thin material. He said it shook him. But he steadied and squeezed off a shot as he walked off and got guts.

We picked up a faint blood trail...and I could smell stomach...we tracked until no blood and were in an open area. I told my brother that there's no way the lion came up un the open being gut shot so we dropped back down into the ravine. I came up to this huge hole in the ground that looked like a deep cave...about 30 ft deep with a rock ledge and thick vegetation all around it. I started around that and hear d the lion growl....I called my brother and nephew over...and he growls again. We stood silently to try and pin point it which we finally did. I told my brother to stand on one side and not to shoot unless he knew for sure it was the lion and I would do the same....I start dropping down the ledge and end up way too close to the wounded cat....and he's looking right at me as if not injured at all...I can't shoot with the rifle because he's too close....I call my brother over to bring the pistol and a slow fire shot in the head put him down. Man we were all shaking at this point. Enough talking....he's already at my Taxidermist for a full body mount. Great job lil brother and nephew. Epic weekend.

Val Verde County/Comstock Tx.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hoythunter02; 11-26-2019, 08:57 PM.

Few pics.Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	24600329Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	24600330Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	24600331Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	24600332Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	24600333Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	24600334

Comment

Awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing the story. I would have ****** my pants seeing that thing in a ground blind within bow range. No thanks! Coach

Comment

Man the first 4 paragraphs of your story were outdoor life worthy, **** enjoyable! Loved it and proud for you guys..

Comment

Man that is insane. What a cool animal to get. I bet y'all were jacked up beyond belief.

Comment

A dream hunt to kill a big cat! Congrats

Comment

Awesome. Congrats

Comment

Heeelllll yeah man that’s my kind of hunt right there!!!! Congrats boyz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s a hunt to remember. Congrats

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Dream kill. Congrats

Comment

Congrats!worked down in the area from pumpville to Sheffield to Sanderson for 14 yrs and never saw hide nor hair of one. I've seen 3 between Iraan and Ozone though still haven't got a hide on the wall!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Nice.. Looks like a young male..

Comment

Man thanks brothers....yes its everything you can imagine it would be...that feeling of finally getting hands on such a majestic predator...the ultimate in Texas.

Really appreciate it gents. I wish I'd taken better pics...all I had was my crap iPhone 5 hand me down from my daughter.

Comment

Working...
                              X