what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what am I doing wrong?

I'm new to the bow hunting world. I got a new bow, had a friend show me some basics, and totally missed the target. I think maybe my natural reaction was to flinch when I released. I need some coaching, any volunteers?

It's the weekend so response may be slow but someone WILL respond.

First step in the process is admitting you need help!!

good luck

Comment

Your going to get 634678432 instructions by ppl over the Internet my suggestion is find a reputable bow shop and get some hands on with them helps having someone there watching and coaching.. Glad to see you've joined the crowd!

Comment

stand closer to the target...

Comment

I am a great shoot with a gun man. But I want to learn this more. Got a great deal on a 2011 bowtech 82nd airborne, already all set up. Thing is FAST! I know I just need practice.

Comment

Practice practice n practice. Like stated above go to a bow shop n let them see what's going on

Comment

Yep. Stand closer. Start shooting at 10 yards maybe. Just concentrate on aiming, keep everything relaxed and lightly squeeze your trigger till it fires. I owned 2 separate 82nd's awhile back. They are some screamers for sure. Don't get too frustrated and have a good time

Comment

First of all, WELCOME TO THE FIRE!!!

The FIRST step is getting a bow that FITS! If the bow doesn't fit, you'll develop bad habits that will be very difficult to break later on down the line. Doesn't matter which brand as long as it fits you and it feels good.

After that, remember to hold the bow with an open hand, don't give the bow a death grip. Hold steady, slowly squeeze the release and DO NOT move your body, stay still and follow thru with your release hand in the natural backwards motion.

There's a lot of TBH'ers in the SA area, I'm sure some will offer some coaching.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND PRACTICE SOME MORE!!!

Welcome to the bowhunting world, you found the right place for good advice and you'll get a lot of it!

Comment

What Tubby said is very true. The bow needs to fit. Go to an archery shop / range there is S.A. Spend a little time and money with the techs there. They can tell you if the bow fits and give you you some valuable info.

Don't get me wrong... folks here will help in a heart beat. BUT, ya need some one watchin ya shoot.

Also, as was said, start at 10 yards & work on technic. Get consistent with your groups, then dial it in... after that move back a little and keep practicing.

When you get tired...quit for a while. You make mistakes when you are tired.

Welcome to the site.

Comment

The Bow Shop on Naco-Perrin (not open Sun/Mon) or Mesquite Archery. Get some help and make sure d/lengthis right, and several other things too.

Comment

First.. get a tbh sticker
                      Then check out the equipment forum on here.. lotsa very knowledgeable and experienced folks that are more than willing to hey you lined out either setup wise or form.
                      But like others have said, don't be afraid to check out the local shops.. usually the same people in there willing to help.
                      Oh Yeh.. stand closer and work your way back.

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

Go to Mesquite Archery and have them check out your rig. Make sure its set-up properly. If it is than practice, practice, practice.

And dont let these guys tell you to stand closer. You just need a real big target. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            stand closer to the target...
                            Yep

Get your form down first. Even if it is a few feet. Then start stepping back.

Comment

Where are you located in San Antonio? I might be able to help you out. I'm in the FAR NW side (outside 1604 loop - Alamo Ranch area)
                              All the best,
                              Glenn

Comment

Working...
                              X