Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow weight

G'day all,

One thing I've noticed different about bow hunting and our continents are arrow weights.

In aus we have what I'm now starting to think are pretty hefty arrow weights compared to you guys. We have a legal minimum of 450gn but I don't actually know anyone off the top of my head that's under 500gn.
    I had an idea of mine (well at least I thought) until I actually figured it out last night. I come in at 548.6gn. There are upsides, we get a lot of penetration but it comes at a cost I spose.

our chrony is broken so I haven't tested it but going off theoretical data my Bear Mauler is flinging sticks at like 235fps. Would people here be happy with that hunting a jumpy animal like a whitetail from say 40-50yds?

I'm thinking about them in comparison to our fallow which are a similar size,

Obviously when I upgrade my bow setup I'll get a little more speed but not a lot.

To boot, the micro diameter shafts I use, aussie made ones called RUSH I just found out shut down due to family health reasons. There were no warnings or messages, one day the website was just gone. Found out through a friend it was shut for good.

So I then would go to another aussie one Zelor but my mate who prostaffs for another new aussie one talked me up to the owner of that brand and now they're sending me some shafts. I'm really not interested in getting into the prostaffing side of things but I feel obliged to for at least the duration of these shafts now. The problem is I'm being gifted 300 spine shafts that are 11.7gpi with 100gn outserts. That's like another 100gn on my current setup!

What do you guys think is a good arrow weight for hunting big game? I'm after one to suit it all, rabbits up to a 1200lb sambar stag.

Also I'm just knocking off for xmas, about to head out and set up a TC so I'll check this later on today when I can but if I don't speak to anyone before then have a very merry christmas from Australia!

JP

"our chrony is broken so I haven't tested it but going off theoretical data my Bear Mauler is flinging sticks at like 235fps. Would people here be happy with that hunting a jumpy animal like a whitetail from say 40-50yds?"
    I wouldn't be comfortable shooting at a whitetail at 270 fps at that range personally.
    It is interesting though that yall have a minimum arrow weight. Texas use to have a minimum draw weight but has dropped that requirement.

Comment

I really don't see what it would hurt

Comment

I would fit perfectly there. 560 grain arrow at 270 fps. Very forgiving and very quiet.

Comment

Do yall have a minimum bow poundage as well?

Comment

I've been shooting 600+ grain arrows for over 20 yrs......with that said i have only hunted deer, turkey, and hogs here in Texas. i have never shot anything over 25 yrds, but thats just me......just in the past 3 yrs I have been increasing FOC. My current setup is a 475 grain arrow with a 175 grain broadhead for a total arrow weight of 650 grains. My FOC is 19.9%. These are shooting in the 230 FPS range.....
            . I'm a believer in shooting heavy arrows as fast as you can shoot them for more momentum...increasing penetration.....also heavier arrows make the shot quieter by absorbing more bow energy.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
              Do yall have a minimum bow poundage as well?

Yeh mate 50lb

Comment

Thanks for all the opinions guys!

Comment

Whatever weight will make it through a Brumby is good my me

Comment

You ask a very complicated question...... A properly tipped 450 grain arrow shot out of a well tuned bow will kill anything in the world except the toughest of game. You can keep speed up and still get ballistics out of that weight in a modern compound bow. When you get north of 500 out of the same bow you are going to see a pretty good drop in speed but the momentum goes trough the rough. Ideally a setup right around 500 is a great all purpose build.

As far as shooting at distances the arrow weight is really a non issue IMO. To shoot or not to shoot should be a situational decision based on a variety of other factors.

Comment

Working...
                    X