Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Jarheads, penny for your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former Jarheads, penny for your thoughts?

The kid sprung it on me yesterday he’s seriously thinking of joining the Marines. He turns 18 in November, a senior in high school this year. I honestly think the structure would be good for him. Just has me worried as hell that we are going to be in a shooting war or major conflict in the next 5-10 years.

He is fiercely patriotic, there’s rarely a day he’s not flying the flag on his truck, and has gotten into a scrap or two with others over it. I’m worried he might be a little gung ho if it comes down it.

Any thoughts or advice from you USMC guys?

Support him and don't try to talk him down from it. We need more like him, and he'll never regret his service. My two cents

Comment

Following. Wont give my 1/2 cents worth of thoughts as I am not ex military. But have had this conversation a time or 10 over the last few years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not a Marine here, Air Force, I don't see an issue, do something that few are willing to do and keep those memories, discipline and adventures for the rest of his life. Tell him thanks for me.

Comment

If it is what he wants to do then support him...All kinds of jobs in the USMC that can keep him off the battlefield, but he sounds like the kind of Marine I would want fighting next to me. Semper Fi

Comment

First off make sure he knows your proud of him for even considering it and you will be proud if he chooses to. Dont play it up to much and dont sugar coat it either. Just give him the facts of what to expect.

Comment

Best thing I ever did. I served six years on active duty then went to Texas A&M and got my bachelors. I have also served for 15 years in the National Guard. I served on embassy duty and got to go places and see things most never will.
              The college plan they have now is amazing also.

Comment

Best thing he could ever do! There will always be issues across the big world, yes are going to worry, yes he will want to be involved, but trust me when I say they will train him to take care of himself and the fellas around him.

Comment

I did 8 years as a grunt and deployed twice. Loved it. Hated it. Miss it. Wouldn't do it again. Would give me left *** to deploy again.

It's a big decision and a very different path than most take. Make sure he's got as much information as possible, but I wouldn't try to steer him either way. Sounds like he's got his head on straight if he's considering the Marine Corps!

Comment

Having met the kid in question I can see the gung ho worry from dad.

That being said if I had served I could answer this question better. Good luck Barrett either way

Comment

Best thing I ever did. My grandfather and father were both Marines and I fly out in the morning to watch my nephew walk across the parade deck in San Diego.

Here is my two cents.....

He shouldn't join the Marine Corps as a way to pay for college or to get a MOS that you can use later in life. Join because the Marine Corps is an elite organization that will teach you how to be successful in life. Some of the best times in my life were while I was in the Corps along with the absolute most miserable times in my life and I am thankful everyday I was able to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                        The kid sprung it on me yesterday he’s seriously thinking of joining the Marines. He turns 18 in November, a senior in high school this year. I honestly think the structure would be good for him. Just has me worried as hell that we are going to be in a shooting war or major conflict in the next 5-10 years.

He is fiercely patriotic, there’s rarely a day he’s not flying the flag on his truck, and has gotten into a scrap or two with others over it. I’m worried he might be a little gung ho if it comes down it.

Any thoughts or advice from you USMC guys?
                        I will say this. If he really wants to and he doesn't it'll bother him for the rest of his life.

As far as being too gung ho there is no such thing. When or if bullets fly you can't do enough to keep your brothers safe. There is no better feeling than coming back in to the wire and counting all your guys in.

There is no worse feeling than coming in to the wire and coming up short of what you left with.

He would be with the best of men in the worst of times and come out a better man because of it. Albiet he will probably be a changed man.

I didn't join to fight so that my kids may not have to. That is a pipe dream. But i did join to fight so that this country will be around for the next fight we have to be in.

Support him. Go to his graduation fom boot camp. Be there when he gets back from wherever the Corps needs him. Be proud that you raised a man willing to give all for his country.

Feel free to ask me anything you want to know.

3/1 81's
                        SGT. USMC
                        Semper

Comment

Is he an only son? If so I don't think he will see combat. My brothers son was told he would be deployed to the rear if something between the US and N Korea happened when he was over in S. Korea serving. Might want to check it out.

Comment

Not sure if the Corp has this MOS or they just steal from the Army but if he tests high enough on the ASVAB I would push him to be a linguist. Let him learn Arabic or Farsi and he can get paid 6 figures when he gets out. Combat MOS gets you a piece of paper that reads (No civilian equivalency) when you out process. Job at Starbucks waiting for you, thank you for serving our nation. Of course if you want to go in to **** **** up and kill people than FA, Infantry or Armor it is.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              Best thing I ever did. My grandfather and father were both Marines and I fly out in the morning to watch my nephew walk across the parade deck in San Diego.

Here is my two cents.....

He shouldn't join the Marine Corps as a way to pay for college or to get a MOS that you can use later in life. Join because the Marine Corps is an elite organization that will teach you how to be successful in life. Some of the best times in my life were while I was in the Corps along with the absolute most miserable times in my life and I am thankful everyday I was able to do it.
                              Sometimes I wonder as almost everyone I know who joined the Corps speaks highly of it. To use your words but for the Army: Some of the worst times in my life were while I was in the Army along with the absolute most miserable times in my life and I am so glad I got out when I did.

Comment

Working...
                              X