College Station Dove Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Station Dove Hunting

So I'm going into my 3rd here at A&M and want to do my first dove hunt this year. I know there is a piece of public land that you can hunt not to far out of town. Really want to check it out! Anyone ever it hunt it before or is anyone going to hunt it? Maybe some one who wouldn't mind a tag alone that they could show me the ropes? I have never dove hunted before, done a fair amount of pheasant and quail but never dove. I have my hunting license and my AHP, i also have a 12 Ga. O/U not sure if a semi, or pump would be better for dove but hoping my O/U will work, i have all the hunter orange as well. Are the decoys really a big help? Is there anything else i should have? Any advice at all would be great!

Thanks

What public land are you referring too? I'm planning to go to my lease in washington county (about 40 mins outside of town). Not sure if there will be any doves. Last year we only saw 3. But we are on the yegua river, so I'm hoping that will increase our chances.

I'm not a pro dove hunter either.

Comment

I'm trying to find the link now on TPWD now if i find it i will post it, there is a small piece last year that was open for a week.

Comment

Here is the link, the one that i'm looking at is #2034 it apears to be about 15 min outside of town of from 21

Comment

Here is a better map

Comment

i have heard that thing get kinda packed with people.

Comment

Yea that has been what i have been wondering. Think i might need to try it anyways to see, my only concern is safety. do most people use dogs to retrieve fallen birds?

Comment

im no dove hunter. but i dont think dogs are normaly used around here.

Comment

I didn't think people did but wan't sure cause we don't have dogs

Comment

That place, between Bryan and Caldwell, get's PACKED, since most of the college students don't have many options. I've gone once and never again. It's like a war zone out there with shot whizzing across the weeds like crazy! PM me if you have any other questions.

Gig 'em!

Comment

Yea that is exactly what i'm afraid. Going this afternoon if everything works out just to check out the place. Is there any place close by that leases land by the day that is cheap? Or is that just unheard of?

Comment

Just drove out there, had trouble finding the check-in station but the land out there looks pretty good!

Comment

Originally posted by aggie_archer View Post
                          Just drove out there, had trouble finding the check-in station but the land out there looks pretty good!
                          See any dove there or in the area?

Comment

been looking around myself. all the dove have moved to town.

Comment

We saw a few no more then a dozen though...not sure if that is many or not...I'm completely new to dove hunting

Comment

Working...
                              X