Deer Hunting for rookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Hunting for rookie

I have not been lucky enough to kill anything with a bow (yet)...but would really like to. I used to hunt when I was in high school, joined the Navy for a few years and did not shoot for about 10 years. I just got back into archery last year...definitely did not realize just how much I missed it. I can not afford a lease so that has been a difficult hurdle for me. Can anyone tell me of any free or in-expensive hunting places around Central Texas. I live in Bastrop. I have my oldest daughter starting to shoot now and would like to be able to take her out this year as well...depending on when we can get her into a hunter safety class. I would be greatful for any advice or assistance. Thanks.

Look into the Corps of Engineer properties (Lakes), Fort Hood, Texas Parks and Wildlife drawn hunts (quick!), east/SE Texas to the National Forests.

None are easy, not as high of a percentage as a lease, but a way to hunt for free/almost free.

Comment

In central texas,,,,,,,,,, good luck.

Comment

Granger Lake isn't too far from you. It is tough, but they are out there.

Comment

Check out Thompson Temple for an inexpensive high success ram hunt.
          I haven't been but hear great reviews (aside from the smelly gut pile)
          I plan on going in Feb.
          Get a hold of "Haztech3" on here.
          He can give you more details.

Comment

Public Land Huntin

Originally posted by txbassbum View Post
            Can anyone tell me of any free or in-expensive hunting places around Central Texas.
            You can buy a annual public hunt permit for like 48 bucks with your hunting license. Then they'll mail you a booklet of all the places you can hunt. Thats kinda situation Ive been in last 3 yrs. So I hunted public land. Somerville is closes. No a bad place. You can go to Texas parks and wildlife website and preview some of the places.

Comment

I know its not deer hunting but you can usually find a local river or creek with hogs on it. they are a vermin so you can hunt all year long. thats what i do when i cant get to the lease. And i havnt killed anything with a bow yet either so good luck

Comment

Working...
              X