One BIG Sow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One BIG Sow

I got into the tripod a little after 5 pm on Monday afternoon, December 20th. I settled into the stand and watched the buzzards on the place to the East of me flying to their roost. I started to think about what might happen on this evenings hunt. You see I got to hunt this place right down the road from our house this year. I have permission to hunt several thousands of acres around this area for varmints and the occasional hog, but this place has deer and some hogs so I thought I would set up a feeder out here to see what happens. In no time at all I started to get pictures of so hogs then I noticed that one of the sows that was coming in was huge!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

One of the first things that caught my attention was the fact that I had no day time pictures of her. She and her tan colored associate were smart... very smart. I have hunted that feeder 5 times this season and had laid eyes on them twice for a few seconds each time until they caught my scent from where I walked in.

Monday comes around and the moon was full and the perfect wind was bloiwing so I was going hunting. I got to the place and got dressed and sprayed down better than I have ever done. As I walked into the stand I had a pretty good feeling about what was about to happen. I sat there until the sun went down and the moon started to rise from my left. At 6:45pm I thought I heard something to my left so I turned my head and there she stood at 22 yds. She had her nose in the air directly down wind of the feeder and was ready to break and run if anything was out of place. I sat there motion less for more than a few minutes when she and her associate finally calmed down and crawled under the barbed wire feeder pen. I got my bow ready and waited for my shot...... and waited.....and waited. Took her for what seemed like and hour to finally get quartering away. As she turned I drew my bow, anchored and put my 20yd pin a little low and aimed at the opposite shoulder. I knew I was ready for the shot so I lightley pressed my index finger on the light switch and the hog was lit up with an amber colored light that she paid no attention to. I touched the release and the bow went off and the Tekan tipped FMJ did work son!!

She ran directly away from me and a few seconds later I heard her crash and the celebration started. As I was fist pumping was finally done I looked through my binos and could see her plain as day laying not 60yds away...

I gave her 10-15 mins to die and finally got down from the tripod and eased my way over too her. She broke my arrow about half way down the staft and I had to do some cutting to be able to get my other end of the arrown out. When I finally got the other end out it was covered in heart muscle.

No to the bad part.... She was so big that I could not load her by myself and the descision was made for her to now become my coyote bait. So I set her up for propper LDPs and left for the night. The next morning I took some pics and drug her to her final spot. I am going to take the land owner and a friend over there this evening to see if we can get them their first coyotes so wish us luck.

Here is the LDP of her and I. Thank you for following along on a long winded story

[IMG][/IMG]

nice ldp! she's a biggun

Comment

good job!

did you weigh her?

Comment

Congrat on one BIG pig and good luck on the coyote hunt.

Comment

That's a BIG pig. Too bad you didn't get to weigh her.

Comment

Alrighty then! Congrats on a big 'ol pig!

Comment

Im guessing she weighed around 225 or so. She was big but my 312 boar was a lot bigger than her.
              Last edited by D C; 12-27-2010, 02:51 PM.

Comment

That is a big ol gurl! Well done

Comment

congrats on an absolute beast! best of luck with the yotes...

Comment

She's a big 'un. Congrats! Nice pic too.

Comment

congrats on the great pig

Comment

Good Lord that is a big sow, I'm guessing a tad larger than 225 lbs. Great job, keep up the KAP.

Congrats.

Rwc

Comment

Nice sow!!!!

Comment

HOLY SMOKES!!! Congratulations.

Comment

great pig

Comment

Working...
                              X