Apex Covert Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apex Covert Review

Last week I got my shiny new Apex Covert sight in for my Chill R. You can find a summary/photos/etc on the Apex site:

Apex Gear : Covert

First thing I noticed when I was installing it was that it was very sturdy, but not that heavy. Second thing I noticed is that it had a ton of adjustments on it. It has typical 2nd axis and 3rd axis that are indispensable. But it also has an adjustment that is missing on most hunter sliders… the ability to adjust not just the scope's 2nd axis, but the ability to adjust the 2nd axis of the entire slider assembly. Apex calls this "Gravity Line", and its a really really nice feature for shooters who prefer a cant when they shoot.

Once I got the sight mounted I went out to a whopping 5 yards to set my windage. Bar none best windage adjustment options on any of my sights. Positive click, easy to turn knob, and then a lockdown screw. Wow. Next I set my initial 20 yard position for the scope. Loosen two set screws, nudge the bracket, lock it down.

I haven't gotten to shoot the sight past 20 yards yet, but I'm dying to. I'll be setting the 3rd axis and gravity line tonight, so that my next trip to CCR I can just focus on getting good marks for my sight tape.

This sight has so many features its almost impossible to list them all… want to change pin colors? Yeah it does that without changing pins, want to go to a different size pin… yeah it does that, in fact it comes with a .10 in the package, takes about 5 minutes to switch it. Want a push button light with 3 different brightness settings… yeah its got that too.

I am impressed all the way around. I shot a Trophy Ridge React last year, and while it is a solid sight, I wanted more adjustability and I don't shoot as well with a multi-pin sight as I do a single pin. If you're in the market for a 1-pin hunting slider that has a tremendous value and great quality I'd highly recommend the Apex Covert. All for less than $150… that's hard to beat.

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on getting this sight very soon

Comment

Thanks

On my short list of sights to put on my next bow

Comment

I set my 3rd axis roughly and the gravity line yesterday. Very very nice. Everything is all set to go throw some long bombs at CCR Friday to get the marks down. Then Sunday I hope to test it out on some night time hog hunting at the lease. So far I've been very impressed with it.

Comment

How bright is the pin? thats been the only knock I've seen on it, and it only appears to be the .10 pin that has any brightness issues.

I'm really thinking about one of these Vs the React one pin... sounds like its a heck of a lot lighter.

Comment

I can't speak to the brightness of the .10 pin as I have not switched them out yet, the .19 is nice though. I'll update when I've tried the smaller pin. The other thing to keep in mind, is that a .10 pin is half the size of a .19 pin essentially so its never going to look "as" bright. Just my two cents.

Comment

Just saw it on sale at MidwayUSA for $95. May have to order one. Thanks for the review.

Comment

just installed this sight on my sons bow mission blaze he's 15 yr old lefty his first single pin and talk about a lot of thought put into this sight pretty sure dad is gonna get one for his hunting rig now 99 bucks awesome.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

Any updates on this sight? Wondering about brightness on .1 and how well it's standing up to use.

Comment

Yup I'd like an updated on this one too.

Comment

Apex Covert Review

Overall I like it. There are a few negatives.

First it is crazy adjustable but the instructions are pitiful on how you do it.

Second it possibly has 30000 screws holding it together. I regularly have to make sure they are all tightened. Even doing that I've lost one that is used for adjusting the level.

Third, the main sight rail has a lot of slop at the top of its range which will eventually result in rattles.

I still think it's a good sight for the $$, but if you shoot as much as I do, it can't take the abuse. After season I will be replacing it with a Hogg Father.

Comment

A buddy of mine bought one. I helped him set it up. I was confused by all the adjustments. He ended up selling it. He said it was noisy.

That's what I know. Isn't much.
                        I personally prefer a sight that has a windage and elevation adjustments.

Comment

I know one thing I've noticed with mine is the sight light has a habit of rattling loose. After the season I'll probably systematically take it apart and never seize the screws so they don't rattle loose. Other then that great sight so far.

Comment

Love mine....I haven't had any rattling issues and the pins are bright enough for me. Only thing I don't like is how you lock it down. its on the inside of the sight so you have to reach around your sight to unlock and lock it.

Comment

Really impressed with mine. Simple and true.

Comment

Working...
                              X