Oak trees are killing my grass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
    Do you buy those two in seed form or sod?

Sod. Plan on paying about $135/pallet for zoysia and $200 or so for amerishade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Kentucky 31 Fescue. Grows well in shade

Comment

I'm not sure if this is true or not but I heard at one time oak (especially live oak) leaves and acorns are acidic. With the amount of leaves that fall this time of year this can cause your soil to be off. Again, this is what I heard, but several have mentioned fertilizer and you may want to get a fertilizer that balances it out a little. I think sunlight and water are the main culprits but this could be the final nail.

Comment

Originally posted by sticks View Post
          Kentucky 31 Fescue. Grows well in shade
          I don't believe Fescue will survive Texas heat. I planted it one fall in a shady area of our lawn when we first moved in. Lordy it was beautiful, but it didn't survive at all once it got hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Don't forget aeration. That's what allows nutrients and water down into the soil, as well as oxygen.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
              I'm not sure if this is true or not but I heard at one time oak (especially live oak) leaves and acorns are acidic. With the amount of leaves that fall this time of year this can cause your soil to be off. Again, this is what I heard, but several have mentioned fertilizer and you may want to get a fertilizer that balances it out a little. I think sunlight and water are the main culprits but this could be the final nail.
              This. Surprised no one mentioned it before. Shade and lack of enough water "wear it down". A nice bed of leaves finishes it off. I hate yard work. Always get lazy around winter when the leaves are falling and the grass is growing slow. And it never fails, I am killing grass. Everything mentioned and keeping the leaves off.

Comment

Originally posted by SS75 View Post
                It's probably the shade more than the roots
                x2

Comment

I have the same problem and...it aint too much shade. The only dead spots are where the roots have grown close to they surface so i have lines of dead grass. The roots seem to get closwr to the surface as the tree ages/grows. Ive started adding topsoil to the yard to try to cover the roots. And buddy had to jave 4" of soil brought in and do a total re-sod.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

Water...my entire back yard is covered buy huge 50 year old live oaks...if you water the grass will keep growing.

Comment

Working...
                    X