Propane Tank Deer Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propane Tank Deer Feeder

Well I've read a bit and finally decided to just get started and figure out the rest from here.

Today I picked up the tank, got it off the trailer and filled up with water.

Tomorrow we cut! I'm using a grinder with a metal cutting blade. Plan is to snap a line near halfway but I'll move it a few inches off center to get clear of the valve stems.

The plan is to have this thing on 85" legs at a 9 degree angle off the tank. That should put me at a 60" footprint on the ground (30" for the tank and then 15" of overhang in each side). Here's a pic more or less to scale.

Finally got these to load.
    Attached Files

Comment

As I've heard before it took a few hours to get it cut. We started the line with the grinder and then went to skill saw but it sparked so much you couldn't see anything. Grinder was fine till blade dulled. Finished up with skill saw and it was way better than grinder, guess we didn't give it enough of a chance in the beginning.

I got after the exterior with the wire wheel to knock the loose paint and rust spots off. More work there but good progress for the first days work.

Next weekend we will start welding the legs. Anyone have any tips about angle of leg and size of the base? This is a 250 gallon tank and will weigh 240 lbs plus about 700 lbs of corn. Also assuming I go with 11 ga, what size tubing? Friend says 1 1/4" is what I need.

Comment

Is it 240# per half?

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
          Is it 240# per half?
          Yes the whole tank was around 480 and would hold 1300+ lbs of corn.

Comment

It will last forever. Here's one I built that holds 1,100 pounds:

Comment

I dont have any tips/advice, but that is going to be a sweet feeder. I have to be able to see it/touch it to be able to figure out lengths and angles and what is best when working on stuff like that. Looks like you have a pretty good plan.

Comment

Here's my pretty much to scale sketch.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by muddyz; 03-06-2017, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Okay my wife has called and said this thing is stinking up the garage. I'm going to have to get it moved somewhere else. But how do I get this smell out? Burn a fire inside?

Comment

We have done that and it will remove the propane smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody have thoughts on my design above?

I'm wanting to order the steel and have some of the initial cuts already done. I'm concerned about a couple of things.

- is 1 1/4 11 ga the right square tubing to use?
                      - if I have him cut the legs at 85" and cut one end so it comes off the barrel at 9.5 degrees what do I say?
                      - will that angle allow me enough contact area with the barrel in order to get a good weld? I'm assuming about 12" of the tubing touches the barrel before it hits the curve.
                      - is a 60" base enough for a Feeder this heavy and tall?

Comment

You can always weld stiffeners from tank to legs...

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
                            Anybody have thoughts on my design above?

I'm wanting to order the steel and have some of the initial cuts already done. I'm concerned about a couple of things.

- is 1 1/4 11 ga the right square tubing to use?
                            - if I have him cut the legs at 85" and cut one end so it comes off the barrel at 9.5 degrees what do I say?
                            - will that angle allow me enough contact area with the barrel in order to get a good weld? I'm assuming about 12" of the tubing touches the barrel before it hits the curve.
                            - is a 60" base enough for a Feeder this heavy and tall?
                            IMO...60" base is terribly narrow. I'd go minimum 15 degrees and preferably 18 degrees.

Secondly, that is a big arse feeder to put on 1 1/4" legs that tall....IMO, of course. I'd use 2" 14 gauge tubing. 2" tubing at 18 degrees would give you right at 6 inches of contact with the tank.

Last, as stated above, gusset back from the legs to the head. Flat bar will work.

Good luck!
                            Last edited by hammer63; 03-10-2017, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
                              IMO...60" base is terribly narrow. I'd go minimum 15 degrees and preferably 18 degrees.

Secondly, that is a big arse feeder to put on 1 1/4" legs that tall....IMO, of course. I'd use 2" 14 gauge tubing.

Last, as stated above, gusset back from the legs to the head. Flat bar will work.

Good luck!
                              Just seeing this. Man, I wouldn't go with 1.25" either. Go with 2" as stated (I personally would think 14 gauge would be minimum wall thickness. I would look for some 2 3/8 oilfield pipe and go with that for legs. . . certainly over the 1.25" sq. tube.

Comment

Working...
                              X