No announcement yet.

LEO question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginning in May of 2011, I traveled weekly from Tyler to central Arkansas for a couple years. In that time, I received multiple warnings from TX DPS (11, I think?) for speeding. I got 3 from the same trooper, and I got 2 in the same week (not the same guy).

I've since slowed down.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
      Print out a new copy of the insurance card and shred the one with the mark...
      My thoughts also.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
        Print out a new copy of the insurance card and shred the one with the mark...
        Or just don’t present the card. Use a phone app.....

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          Or just don’t present the card. Use a phone app.....
          Had a new pastor at our church get msrked as "failed to produce proof of insurance" when he was hit by someone this week, even though he used the app. Of course there were some other bogus things put down, but thought tjat was interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
            Nothing...just throw it away if it is a warning.
            I prefer to throw it out the window as I'm driving off.

Comment

Originally posted by BowPro73 View Post
              Warnings through my department mean nothing. But, if you were pulled over by another one of our guys, they could find out if we've had contact with you and/or a vehicle. Just the same, we can contact particular agencies and find out if contact has been made. An example for doing that would be a missing person reported in our city, and we speculate a direction of travel. We can contact a particular agency along that path, with info we have about the person, and ascertain if they might have dealt with the license or a particular vehicle, be it a wreck or just a traffic violation. Now..... Texas DPS... If you've been pulled over in the Texas panhandle a few years back and given a simple violation warning, and then happen to get stopped this week down in Laredo, DPS will see that right away on scene when they enter your license.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
              You guys use Copsync?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                It reminds you to keep a Get Out of Jail Free card in your truck

[ATTACH]933552[/ATTACH]
                Those are power rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                  Nothing...just throw it away if it is a warning.
                  I keep mine til they are too faded to read as a reminder not to get another one.

Gary

Comment

Nothing will happen, unless the same agency entered it as a contact card. Then the stop will show up on their data base.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                      Had a new pastor at our church get msrked as "failed to produce proof of insurance" when he was hit by someone this week, even though he used the app. Of course there were some other bogus things put down, but thought tjat was interesting.

In that case I would be tempted to go to the officer's supervisor or chief and ask why he was issued a citation that does not comply with state law. Under proof, (2-a) clearly says that an image on a wireless communication device is proof of insurance.

Then in (c) is says that an officer "may not issue a citation" unless the officer attempts to verify it through the dispatcher and state computer system. Even if you do not have proof of insurance on you, the officer is required to check just like checking your driver's license or car license plate.

It seems if the case you described is accurate, the officer acted outside of the law. I would be complaining and wondering why the officer or department is not following the law.

Sec. 601.053. EVIDENCE OF FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. (a) As a condition of operating in this state a motor vehicle to which Section 601.051 applies, the operator of the vehicle on request shall provide to a peace officer, as defined by Article 2.12, Code of Criminal Procedure, or a person involved in an accident with the operator evidence of financial responsibility by exhibiting:

(1) a motor vehicle liability insurance policy covering the vehicle that satisfies Subchapter D or a photocopy of the policy;

(2) a standard proof of motor vehicle liability insurance form prescribed by the Texas Department of Insurance under Section 601.081 and issued by a liability insurer for the motor vehicle;

(2-a) an image displayed on a wireless communication device that includes the information required by Section 601.081 as provided by a liability insurer;

(3) an insurance binder that confirms the operator is in compliance with this chapter;

(4) a surety bond certificate issued under Section 601.121;

(5) a certificate of a deposit with the comptroller covering the vehicle issued under Section 601.122;

(6) a copy of a certificate of a deposit with the appropriate county judge covering the vehicle issued under Section 601.123; or

(7) a certificate of self-insurance covering the vehicle issued under Section 601.124 or a photocopy of the certificate.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an operator who does not exhibit evidence of financial responsibility under Subsection (a) is presumed to have operated the vehicle in violation of Section 601.051.

(c) Subsection (b) does not apply if the peace officer determines through use of the verification program established under Subchapter N that financial responsibility has been established for the vehicle. A peace officer may not issue a citation for an offense under Section 601.191 unless the officer attempts to verify through the verification program that financial responsibility has been established for the vehicle and is unable to make that verification.

(d) The display of an image that includes financial responsibility information on a wireless communication device under Subsection (a)(2-a) does not constitute effective consent for a law enforcement officer, or any other person, to access the contents of the wireless communication device except to view the financial responsibility information.

(e) The authorization of the use of a wireless communication device to display financial responsibility information under Subsection (a)(2-a) does not prevent:

(1) a court of competent jurisdiction from requiring a person to provide a paper copy of the person's evidence of financial responsibility in a hearing or trial or in connection with discovery proceedings; or

(2) the commissioner of insurance from requiring a person to provide a paper copy of the person's evidence of financial responsibility in connection with any inquiry or transaction conducted by or on behalf of the commissioner.

(f) A telecommunications provider, as defined by Section 51.002, Utilities Code, may not be held liable to the operator of the motor vehicle for the failure of a wireless communication device to display financial responsibility information under Subsection (a)(2-a).

Comment

Working...
                      X