No announcement yet.

Would you burn a tag on a hurt buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it have an open wound that is potentially infected? I wouldn't want to eat it if so. But I would put him down to not suffer any longer.

Comment

Even if it had huge antlers, I wouldn't want a "trophy" that consisted of a busted up deer, stuck in a 10 acre "pen." I'd call the GW.

cricman

Comment

For me, the answer is yes. I have only come near burning all 5 of my tags once. Since it is in a different county than the one I hunt, then yes, I'd go over there an kill a buck - that I would nickname "trey" based on your description.

I'd eat the meat if it wasn't tainted by infection and I'd keep the antlers as a token of the memory.

Comment

Yep, I'd call the GW local to the property.

I'd prolly also ask LO's if they have game cam pics of this mysterious deer.

Comment

When you go to look the situation over please take pictures of the deer and give us an update.

Comment

Yes I would and Yes I have.
              He was hobbling on 3 legs with a Grapefruit sized ball on his knee. Most likely a vehicle collision. There was some purple bruising on the hind that got hit, so we just cut that part away. The meat was fine.

meandgrapefruit by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

Did it once before and I'd do it again--young buck had a soft-ball sized wound in his left shoulder and wouldn't put any weight on his leg. Barely got thru my 2-strand barbed wire pen fence. Once I saw the injury, I put a Bear Razorhead thru his heart. He went out of the pen like he wasn't hurt, ran about 25 yds, began the death wobble, and dropped right there. He was apparently shot the previous youth weekend and I shot him on Wednesday. Called my vet buddy and he said to treat him just like any other buck, but cut away the shoulder and keep doing the "smell test" on it during the week as it aged in the 'fridge. When I skinned the deer, that quarter was discolored, bruised, and had a greenish tint to it. About 4 days later when I pulled it out to check, one whiff and he became coyote bait.
                Last edited by dustoffer; 11-05-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

You'll never seen this thread about a place in East Texas smh

Comment

Yes.

Comment

No pics available of the deer. I’m gonna head out there Sunday and scope it out. From I gather he is eating hay and plenty of forage. Depending on what I see we may flush him out of the pasture and let nature take its course. Shoot him or call the GW. I wish I could get better info but it is what it is. It’s sounding more and more like the landowners may not really know what’s up. So maybe I can educate them some if nothing else.

Comment

Deer can survive terrible injuries
                        But if he is down and unable to eat/drink,
                        I would humanely kill him
                        Not interested in eating him.

BP

Comment

I’ve done it. I took a three legged buck one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                            No pics available of the deer. I’m gonna head out there Sunday and scope it out. From I gather he is eating hay and plenty of forage. Depending on what I see we may flush him out of the pasture and let nature take its course. Shoot him or call the GW. I wish I could get better info but it is what it is. It’s sounding more and more like the landowners may not really know what’s up. So maybe I can educate them some if nothing else.
                            What's wrong with putting up a protein feeder and letting him heal up?

Comment

they make a specialized ammo for just this situation -- buckshot.

Comment

Yes. I heavily considered it last year but I think the tipping point was that he did not have a noticeably legal spread. I wondered about the condition of the rest of him...whether or not he had infection.

Do it.
                                Good luck Stoof.

Comment

Working...
                                X