For The Average Guy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For The Average Guy...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like they don't really fit in with the modern day hunting industry. Between the unrealistic TV shows, the endless scent elimination product ads, & the "growing" deer/protein feeder/"Big Bucks And Big Trucks" (heard it on a car dealership commercial) mentality, it makes it seem like you can't be successful or enjoy hunting unless you're into those kind of things or you have big money.

On October 23rd I killed my first deer with a bow. I was hunting on less than 25 acres out of a pop up blind that cost around $80. I was sitting in an old lawn chair that's around 20 years old. The bow is a discontinued recurve Excalibur crossbow that shoots 305 FPS. My Dad bought the bow probably around 10 years ago because it was on sale. Our "feeding program" was a 40 pound bag of hand corn every couple weeks. No feeder & no protein. I rattled the deer in using horns off a deer skull that had been gathering dust for the last 20 years.

At the end of the day, being a successful hunter comes down to your knowledge and the amount of work you want to put into it. So to the guys that own small properties, can't afford to get on a lease with the big boys, or can't afford a lease period and hunt public land, this one's for you
    Attached Files

Congrats. Wish I could find 25 acres and a pop up for $80.

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great deer congrats

Comment

congrats, nice deer.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Big congrats on the deer!!

Keeping up with the Jones is for the birds!!

Comment

Congrats on gettin it done! It’s a minimalist thing. There’s a few things I do “extra” because I can or I want to, but don’t have to and don’t depend on it. Both properties I hunt are free of charge, so that plays a big role too! Never been on a hunting lease. Unless it was a special place right down the road from the house, I don’t think I’d ever get on a lease. I believe I’d end up on public land.

Comment

You sir are exactly right! Congrats on a very nice buck.

Comment

You are correct. Hunting should be an enjoyable experience. Just being outdoors , in the peace and quiet ,out of the rat race of everyday life is reward enough. If you get a deer, that's icing on the cake.

Comment

These are my favorite stories. I can relate. I’ve shot 3 deer in 6 years on public land. Every year I add one piece of gear that makes it easier, but the first deer I shot was from the ground with no blind. Dragged it over a half a mile with no cart and had two other public hunters luckily show up as I made it to the truck and they helped me toss him in the bed. I do my own butchering and euro’d the skulls myself. If you want to hunt, go do it and don’t listen to the people that tell you that you need to spend thousands for a good hunt.

I bought a crossbow about a week ago from a guy on the green screen, so looking forward to bow season next year!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

It should not be about getting a deer but the experience. Getting a deer is a bonus.

Congratulations!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations that's a nice buck and I'm with you on that anybody who likes to hunt and don't have a lot of money or for somebody who's trying it for the first time use what you have and listen to the old timers they were successful without all the fancy stuff out there. Get out there and get her done!

Comment

Common man hunting is THE BEST!

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X