Eco Boost or 5.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
    Shifter handle in the middle. You can press a button and change gears in town mode, driving mode or change it to manual. That is how mine is. Love it!

I really like it too. Replacing my truck with the exact same thing only 5.0. Might end up with the horrible electric blue color just due that’s all that seems to be left in stock, but the shifter is worth the humiliation.

Comment

Dang auto correct. Town mode and not town mode!

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
        I really like it too. Replacing my truck with the exact same thing only 5.0. Might end up with the horrible electric blue color just due that’s all that seems to be left in stock, but the shifter is worth the humiliation.
        You’re making the switch from Eco to 5.0?

Comment

Eco Boost or 5.0?

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
          You’re making the switch from Eco to 5.0?

See post 82. Engine has a coolant leak at the turbo. Apparently this is a common issue. While I haven’t found a case where someone’s engine failed or lost a turbo due to this, it is an issue that may or may not be fixed after the first attempt. $700-$2500 each time the part fails, and the engine has two sets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
            See post 82. Engine has a coolant leak at the turbo. Apparently this is a common issue. While I haven’t found a case where someone’s engine failed or lost a turbo due to this, it is an issue that may or may not be fixed after the first attempt. $700-$2500 each time the part fails, and the engine has two sets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            I did read that. I was wondering if that is your main reason for switching. I picked up a 2.7l boost last weekend spur of the moment due to my situation, but after lots of thought, I think I’ll be trading it in on a 5.0 in the next week or two.

Not that I don’t like the 2.7l. I actually really like the truck and that motor is a toad. That being said, I intend to drive a truck for a long while and the more I thought about it, the more I don’t like the thought of all the extra parts involved in the boost. Thinking I’m going to KISS and not look back.

Comment

I have a 2011 F150 4x4 with off-road and tow package. It has the 5.0l engine. I use it to pull my 30' bumper pull camper that weighs 6500# unloaded. On a recent trip to Ft. Worth and back towing the camper I got around 9 MPG. Without the camper on a trip to Gulf Shore, AL, I averaged 16.5-17 but was driving 80+ and that includes all the driving around Gulf Shores and the stop/start traffic through Houston.

I have 171,000+ miles on it and only thing I've done is change the oil. Been a great truck and engine. Definitely will go back to it when time to buy another.

Comment

Had a 2012 3.5L Ecoboost Supercrew lariat with 3.55 gears. Averaged 18 mpg and ran like a scalded dog until Ford replaced the intercooler and reflashed the ECU. Drove it 86,000 miles and other than the intercooler I had no issues. Ran Mobil One and changed every 10K. Towed well but transmission hunted constantly.
                Currently driving 2015 Super Crew Lariat, 3.5L Ecoboost with 3.15 gear. The 15 is a superior vehicle in every way when compared to the 2012. Tows much better, better fuel economy, smother shifting. Avg. 20+ when not towing, 14.5 towing my BassCat. Have an ARE camper shell which makes this the perfect vehicle for my needs. Would buy another Ecoboost in a heartbeat.

Comment

I HAD a 2018 3.5 Twin Turbo, Eco Boost. Read up on the cam phaser issue with these. It happened to me at 68k. Well maintained, never missed an oil change. Out of warranty, $3800.00 repair. I had a decent amount of equity in it since I had made a big $ down payment. Repaired, and traded in on a different make same day. Sorry to say, I'm done with Ford after this. It's a well known, heavily documented problem and they do nothing for owners out of warranty. It is such a common problem that Ford created a kit part for all the components needed to properly repair. That said, before it took a dump it was the best performing truck I ever had. Just too many moving parts to get all that HP out of that engine.

Comment

I did a fair amount of research before i bought a Tundra. The ecoboost has issues with the cam phasors. In 2021 Ford started dropping 4 cylinders on the 5.0 when running lightly loaded. GM has done that for years with limited success. When is the last time you saw Ford get it all right the first time?

Comment

Any reviews on the 2021 F150 with the 5.0?

Comment

Originally posted by PIc View Post
                        Any reviews on the 2021 F150 with the 5.0?

I have one and I enjoy it. I am coming from the 2016 ecoboost. I just couldn’t justify the $6k increase in price for the ecoboost or whatever it was. For pulling, I like the ecoboost better. It seemed to just outperform the 5.0. For daily driving, I am perfectly happy with the 5.0 and have zero complaints. Actually get better gas mileage too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cant help much with the comparison because both of our trucks have the 5.0
                          They have both been great motors. I’m not overly impressed with the towing power...but, I wasn’t impressed with our previous 5.3’s either. I don’t hook onto heavy loads very often so they do the trick for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hated my 2013 Eco Boost. But I seem to be in the minority.

Edit: My FIL always gets an F150 with the 5.0 and puts them through 200k of oilfield abuse. He's had 3 since we've known each other and none have missed a beat other than tires and maintnance.

Comment

I've got an 18 now with 155K miles on it... If I could find one just like it tomorrow, I'd get a 21/22... That's even though I am having some 10 speed tranny issues with mine right now... Had 2 EcoBoost's before that... Will never own another one... They're great until you have to have them worked on...

Comment

Thanks for the response. I have a 15 3.5 I’m getting rid of and can’t decide on another 3.5 or the 5.0. I’m a little concerned about about the cylinder deactivation on the 21 5.0

Comment

Working...
                                X