Need help building a flemish twist string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help building a flemish twist string

Several years ago, I bought materials to do this, and never did. I have the string making video but it's very difficult to see the technique. I asked for help on this board a few years back, and a few people volunteered to help me out and I appreciated it. However, my school schedule / work schedule / wifes schedule never seemed to give me some free time to go meet them.

Well, with the spring coming up and my schedule opening up a bit, I have some time, and I'd really like to learn. Actually, I NEED to learn. I can't keep putting this off. My wife needs a new string (want to replace the factory string that came on her bow), and I want spares made up for my own.

I have three colors of string, a string board, serving thread and tool, wax, and blades. I even built a string stretcher, but never had the opportunity to try it out. If anyone could take the time to instruct me in person on how to make a string for my wife's Samick Sage recurve, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm very much a "hands on" learner. I have to see someone show it to me in person, and then duplicate it in front of them so they can correct anything I am doing wrong right there.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer. I'm in San Antonio, and can travel a bit on the weekends. Thanks.

All the best,
    Glenn

I'm too far away or I would be more than happy to show you.

Comment

I had a really difficult time learning how to make strings just from written tutorials many years ago, so when I finally learned, I wrote my own tutorial that attempted to make it more clear. See if this helps:

Our site is dedicated to helping the bowmen and women of America find their ideal bows and accessories. Read our how-to guides, product buying guides, and reviews.

Comment

I used Sam's tutorial when I made mine. It came out fine.
        Thanks Sam.

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Also if you search youtube for RickBarbee he has a good video up on building the loops.

Comment

Sam,
              That tutorial was so much better than the video I own. After reading through it, I actually understand it. I'm still not sure if I can do it , but at least now I have confidence enough to try it again. Thank you so very much for taking the time to make it, and for sharing it with us.
              All the best,
              Glenn

Comment

just remember to twist past the twist or itll untwist on ya...watch and see...lol

Comment

You're welcome, Glenn. A lot of stuff that isn't clear now will probably become clear once you dive in and do it.

BTW, here is that Rick Barbee video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuE09gfV_Q4"]3 Bundle Flemish Loop - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

My biggest problem in the past was getting the loops to stay tight at the junction. Mine always seemed to have a widening split - much wider than I really wanted the loop to be.
                    All the best,
                    Glenn

Comment

Chad Weaver (I think) and Rod Jenkins have a really good video out on how to do both Flemish and endless loop if you want a second source. Based on my own experience, don't spare the wax on your bundles before you start to twist them - they stay together a lot better if they're well waxed.

Comment

Thanks to all of you. I'm about to try this and need as much help as possible.

Comment

once ya get the hang of it...youll say wow..too easy.

Comment

Working...
                          X