Question for the knife makers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the knife makers?

I have a friend that had his grandfather pass away. apparently the guy was a knife collector, he had about 350 knives. According to the grandson the collection is worth 2,300,000. which would put an average of 6,571 per knife. I know knives can get expensive but is there that many knives that have that price tag?

Most of the knives that i saw in a picture were Case type (old timers i think) and then Randall styles.

in my opinion he is exaggerating but i wanted to just ask the question for general knowledge purposes.

It would be difficult to have a collection worth that much if the knives were all production. Customs, could be possible if they were from early and/or big name guys. Unless he's got Michael Walker, Warenski, Owen Wood, Loveless, Lile class guys, he won't get that kind of total.

If it's mostly Case stuff, nope, no way. If it's old timers, super no way. Randalls, could be some good value there, but 6500 per seems unlikely.

Comment

Jason,

Thanks for the post. Actually i did see two of the names that you have listed on a couple of zoomed in knife pictures. One was Walker and the other Wood.

Comment

That list wasn't intended to be complete, just representative. If he's got customs of that caliber, he could get to 2.3 mil. It would be important to get a solid appraisal in that case. A reputable dealer/consigner would be very important as well in moving product of that nature. I'd love to see pics if you could share them.

Comment

How many historical knives/swords with good providence.?

My FIL has several Civil War sabres that have providence to a specific unit at specific battles. One of those I know has a 6 figure price tag (Pickett's Charge Cavalry officer).

I saw one that had providence to little bighorn that went 7 figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
            That list wasn't intended to be complete, just representative. If he's got customs of that caliber, he could get to 2.3 mil. It would be important to get a solid appraisal in that case. A reputable dealer/consigner would be very important as well in moving product of that nature. I'd love to see pics if you could share them.
            thanks again for the information.

Do you or anyone else have a good appraiser in the Houston area?

Comment

It sure would be nice to have a look at them.

Comment

If indeed factual, my guess would be that a dozen or so historical blades are driving the average...like the others, it would be snazzy to see!!

Comment

Maybe he has 460 Johnny Stout knives?

Comment

I know John Horrigan's knives bring a pretty penny if any of those are in there....

Comment

anyone know of a good appraiser?

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
                        anyone know of a good appraiser?
                        I’m a little late here but Chris Stanaback in Florida would a good start for the Randall Made Knives

Comment

Working...
                        X