Let's Discuss Diesel Trucks and Sanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Discuss Diesel Trucks and Sanity

Lately I have been noticing diesel trucks more than usual. One reason is I have seen some old enough to vote for brand new prices in the Classifieds.

Another is I see folks buying them that cant even hitch a trailer. Like my SIL that has a 2017 Cummins she can't even backup much less hitch a trailer. Also, threads like, "Can I pull my ten foot utility trailer with my daughter's stuffed animals with my top of the line late model half ton?" Look some people just want to drive them and that's cool. If online betting was legal I would bet a happy meal there are at least 5 posters to this thread that say some variation of, "I/THEY can do what I/we want it is personal choice".

Just a PSA for those unsure. Your late model half ton most likely has a max tow in excess of 10k and you don't need to respond to every 25 foot travel trailer thread, is it half ton towable?

No one stepped on my rubber tail. Overpaying for vehicles has been a pet peeve of mine since my reading "The Millionaire Next Door" and "Total Money Makeover".

but but but...I'm a country boy?

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
      but but but...I'm a country boy?
      Exactly. I actually get buying it for cultural reasons more than thinking you NEED it tow your single axle boat trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
        Exactly. I actually get buying it for cultural reasons more than thinking you NEED it tow your single axle boat trailer.
        FWIW - i think out of every 100 of them sold, maybe 10 are actually needed.

Also - I drive a KIA Optima

Comment

Some people actually need the towing capacity of a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel pickup. Other people just like to leave their diesel truck running so they can listen to it chug while they're extending their mirrors, hanging their truck nuts off the hitch in the back, and shining up their stacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            Some people actually need the towing capacity of a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel pickup. Other people just like to leave their diesel truck running so they can listen to it chug while they're extending their mirrors, hanging their truck nuts off the hitch in the back, and shining up their stacks.
            Is there really any other reason to buy one though?

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
              Is there really any other reason to buy one though?
              Maybe not.

Comment

'Merica

We drive big trucks because we can.

Comment

The new ones aren’t as cool anyways because they don’t sound like the old Cummins or Powerstrokes [emoji57][emoji16]

Comment

I'm guessing more than 50% of the trucks on the road have never had dirt or gravel in the bed and that 90% of the 4x4's have never been anywhere where it was needed. That said, they do look cool and I plan to buy a 4x4 F150 in the next year.

Comment

This thread wreaks of jealousy.

Comment

Not sure why in the hell you'd be worried about it.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                          This thread wreaks of jealousy.
                          Tis post wreaks off pur gramar.

Also jealousy is fear of losing something you have, envy is wanting what others have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by BuckSmasher; 04-13-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

In for the comments.

Comment

I do NOT “need” mine right now. I had a late model Ford F-150 4x4 with the 5.0 and it towed our boat and RV just fine. I know personally, we are preparing for retirement and that includes trading in our bumper pull for a 5er within the next year. The right deal presented itself to get our Ram 2500 and I didn’t hesitate to jump on it. Maintenance costs are tremendously more and is offset by the 27mpg doing 80mph unloaded.

Most people don’t need a diesel and due more harm than good in the way they drive them. I guess in that regard it’s a win for the manufacturers and mechanics.

Again, for us, it’s all about retirement and having stuff paid off before. That is why I jumped on a B&W sliding hitch locally online last night. I don’t have a use for it right this minute but I will soon and for $450, I couldn’t pass up saving $1k!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X