Who has been shafted by a taxidermist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has been shafted by a taxidermist

The other thread got me to thinking about my experience. I will start. In 2013 I dropped off 2 ducks to Bird Works in Ft Worth. I paid 1/2 on each and left. This was the third time to use him. That was the last time I saw them. That dude had a ton of excuses. I never got my money or my birds back. I called a few times but when he would answer the phone it was just one crazy story after the next.

I left a turkey and deposit with a guy in Austin in ‘99. His name was JP Nelson.
    About 9 months later I called to check on it and he said it was next in line.
    Couple more months passed. I called again and the number had been disconnected. The shop was closed. I did ask some other taxidermists in the area if they knew him and had one lead but nothing came of it. Never found him, the money or the mount.

Update: Did a search on Facebook and found him -
    Jp Nelson is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with Jp Nelson and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected.

Anybody know this guy? If so, please go punch him in the face for ripping off a 15 year old girl.
    Last edited by Sika; 04-15-2018, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Is stuff like this worth filing claims in small court? Maybe it depends case to case? I have never had anything like this happen fortunately. Hate to hear it takes place.

Comment

My boss dropped off a 190” Kansas whitetail and a 150” panhandle 8 with a taxi here in East Texas. I can’t remember how much time passed by, but there were a few excuses after a year or so. Another 6 months and the guy disappeared. Finally we get a call from the building owner (the taxi was leasing it) and said he was giving 7 days for folks to come pick up their hides and horns. Apparently the taxi was into drugs and quit paying rent so the owner locked him out and never returned. My boss gets there and finds his 150” 8 but no Kansas buck. We had pictures of it so we started sharing the pictures with everyone and on Facebook. A week or two later, another taxi called and sent pictures of horns he had received. Sure enough, the first taxi sold the horns to this one! While my boss was pretty livid, he looked at this taxi’s work which was pretty good, so he agreed to let him go ahead and get the work done. Fast forward a few months, the 190” white tail is finished. The only problem now is, the guy put a mule deer cape on it! So now we have a 190” whitetail with a mule deer cape. I finally told him to send it to my taxidermist to have it done right. One of our a buddies shot a Kansas buck and was not going to mount it he used that cape. I actually went and picked this buck up yesterday. This was three years in the making!

Comment

Guess I’ve been lucky on the few I’ve had done. Two by TBHers 👍

Comment

Dropped off a mallard to a taxidermist, Johny I***, in S.E. Dallas in the 80's, never got my bird. He said his cat got it. Didn't loose any money! The guy worked for the City of Dallas full time. Still ****** me off!!

Comment

I lost a triple bearded turkey I was having a full body mount on to a taxidermist in Woodsboro a few years back. It was the second and best bird I have taken with my bow in Brooks county. Same scenario as others, after leaving him half the deposit and numerous phone conversations over about a three year span he finally fessed up and said he lost it. His name was David Logan.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                My boss dropped off a 190” Kansas whitetail and a 150” panhandle 8 with a taxi here in East Texas. I can’t remember how much time passed by, but there were a few excuses after a year or so. Another 6 months and the guy disappeared. Finally we get a call from the building owner (the taxi was leasing it) and said he was giving 7 days for folks to come pick up their hides and horns. Apparently the taxi was into drugs and quit paying rent so the owner locked him out and never returned. My boss gets there and finds his 150” 8 but no Kansas buck. We had pictures of it so we started sharing the pictures with everyone and on Facebook. A week or two later, another taxi called and sent pictures of horns he had received. Sure enough, the first taxi sold the horns to this one! While my boss was pretty livid, he looked at this taxi’s work which was pretty good, so he agreed to let him go ahead and get the work done. Fast forward a few months, the 190” white tail is finished. The only problem now is, the guy put a mule deer cape on it! So now we have a 190” whitetail with a mule deer cape. I finally told him to send it to my taxidermist to have it done right. One of our a buddies shot a Kansas buck and was not going to mount it he used that cape. I actually went and picked this buck up yesterday. This was three years in the making!

It boggles my mind why folks leave antlers they care about with Taxidermists period.

*Spoiler* they don’t need them until right before they put the animal on the form after the tanning process etc.

Tell your taxi you want to kee your antlers. They should cape out the head for you right there and hand them to you defleshed no problem!

Tell them to call you when they need them back!
                Last edited by Encinal; 04-15-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                  It boggles my mind why folks leave antlers they care about with Taxidermists period.

*Spoiler* they don’t need them until right before they put the animal on the form after the tanning process etc.

Tell your taxi you want to kee your antlers. They should cape out the head for you right there and hand them to you defleshed no problem!

Tell them to call you when you need them back!
                  That’s exactly how it’s done these days

Comment

Its going on 17 months on a bobcat i dropped off with a guy in cresson who is supposed to be the best around. I was told 8 months and i've called 3 times since the 8 months was up. Lot's of promises but still don't have my cat.

Comment

Originally posted by 67olds442 View Post
                      Its going on 17 months on a bobcat i dropped off with a guy in cresson who is supposed to be the best around. I was told 8 months and i've called 3 times since the 8 months was up. Lot's of promises but still don't have my cat.
                      I think I know who your talking about. He’s a good guy and is always swamped, you’ll get your cat back. He did a Muley for me and it took awhile to get it back but it was worth the wait.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                        Is stuff like this worth filing claims in small court? Maybe it depends case to case? I have never had anything like this happen fortunately. Hate to hear it takes place.
                        Can’t get blood out of a turnip

I have judgments against 2 Taxidermist, one is for $10,000.00
                        You can’t make them pay

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                          I lost a triple bearded turkey I was having a full body mount on to a taxidermist in Woodsboro a few years back. It was the second and best bird I have taken with my bow in Brooks county. Same scenario as others, after leaving him half the deposit and numerous phone conversations over about a three year span he finally fessed up and said he lost it. His name was David Logan.
                          David Hogan was his name and he died about 4 yrs ago.

Comment

Had one tell me he'd tan two bobcat hides for me because it had taken him a ridiculously long time to get the third one I took to him mounted. On top of that it was the wrong bobcat. On top of that it looked like crap because I shot it in the face with a shotgun and he'd already told me he couldn't get it to work on anything except a smaller form beforehand. So I said ok just don't mount that one. He said since he had everything all jacked up he'd have the other two tanned for free. Call him two weeks later and some other guy answers. He informed me he didn't own the business anymore and had moved to Kansas City. I asked about my bobcats and he said he didn't leave anything there he either sold it or took it with him.

So really all that means to me is that guy has an *** whoopin coming at some point. Maybe several different ones.

Comment

Higher ground taxidermy out of alto tx Jake Carter. He screwed many people and just dropped his business off on a great guy that did a lot of the work for free. Supposedly he skipped town and went to San Antonio, if any of you come into contact with him, there's a lot of east texas boys that would love to get a hold of him. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X