Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5/16 arrow question

Hey guys!
    I got a new set of arrows a friend made me in leopard wood.
    They're nice and heavy. Straight and spinned just right.
    Well I cut them to length and got my 160 fieldpoints on and they flew like darts.
    The problem started when I tried on a broadhead.
    My arrows went everywhere. I only have one (with a tusker bh) that flew true.

Now here comes my questions:
    Do 5/16" arrows necessarily need bh's with a 5/16 ferule? Can 11/32 bhs work?

Does anyone know of a maker of a 160gr bh in a 5/16 ferule?

I feel like a newbie. But I guess I am new to the 5/16's.

Comment

Did you spin test them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
        Did you spin test them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Yes. Theyre not that great.

Comment

I melted 50gr of fishing sinker into an 110gr 5/16 broadhead.
          That should work.

Comment

The mismatched diameters won't affect arrow flight. Sounds like a broadhead alignment issue. As stated, spin check them, tweak them, remount them. Do whatever it takes to get them spinning true. After that you can start to worry about inconsistent arrow flight.

Comment

They could be a tad weak in spine. It may not show up with a field point but a broadhead would magnify it. Try a lighter broadhead or build out the sideplate. The above assumes the assembled arrows are spinning well.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                The mismatched diameters won't affect arrow flight. Sounds like a broadhead alignment issue. As stated, spin check them, tweak them, remount them. Do whatever it takes to get them spinning true. After that you can start to worry about inconsistent arrow flight.
                Thats whats happening.
                The ferule is larger then my shaft and I cant get them to line up exactly in the middle with a little wobble room all around.

Originally posted by BernieH View Post
                They could be a tad weak in spine. It may not show up with a field point but a broadhead would magnify it. Try a lighter broadhead or build out the sideplate. The above assumes the assembled arrows are spinning well.
                These have been tested and spine is the same as my other arrows.
                the only thing that changes is the diameter and overall weight.
                Leopardwood shafts are heavy.

Comment

Since they are a smaller diameter, that could change the tune. Think of it as with a smaller diameter arrow the center of the arrow is closer to the centerline of the bow. Probably not the case here, but something to think about.

Comment

3Rivers Archery sells adapter rings for using 11/32" points on smaller diameter shafts. That have a lot of size options so maybe you can find one to fit your 5/16" arrows. It would allow you to push the head square to the adapter to maybe make it easier to get a good spin. Just an idea.

Comment

Happy New Year my Friend... I can't help out, sorry. I do want to see pictures, you always have the prettiest arrows.

Comment

Smaller diameter would make the shafts act stiffer when shot even if they spine the same as your other arrows.

Heavier mass would make the shafts act less stiff when shot even if they spine the same as your other arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                          Since they are a smaller diameter, that could change the tune. Think of it as with a smaller diameter arrow the center of the arrow is closer to the centerline of the bow. Probably not the case here, but something to think about.
                          I’ll have to go back and paper tune. Thanks!

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                          3Rivers Archery sells adapter rings for using 11/32" points on smaller diameter shafts. That have a lot of size options so maybe you can find one to fit your 5/16" arrows. It would allow you to push the head square to the adapter to maybe make it easier to get a good spin. Just an idea.
                          I looked..no luck. Its all about the spin. I’ll have to reinstall carefully, I guess.

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                          Happy New Year my Friend... I can't help out, sorry. I do want to see pictures, you always have the prettiest arrows.
                          Hey Ben! Happy New Years, bud!!
                          I hope you’re doing well.
                          I didnt make these. But they sure are nice.

Originally posted by BernieH View Post
                          Smaller diameter would make the shafts act stiffer when shot even if they spine the same as your other arrows.

Heavier mass would make the shafts act less stiff when shot even if they spine the same as your other arrows.
                          I got lost in this one. I cant figure out why if they where spine tested after they where tappered. But all in all I guess I’ll have to start over and paper tune.

Comment

Well...still messing with these.

Already frustrated. Adjusted everything. Changed to lighter points, changed nocking point, changed brace height, cut 1 3/4" shorter and got them flying like darts out of my longbow.

Just got in some lighter broadheads in the mail this weekend...

Guess what?

Back to square one.

What have I learned?
                            Leopardwood will make an expensive fire.

Comment

If you can't get them to spin true with broadheads, then your taper is probably not cut to the proper angle. You won't really notice this with field points. If you use a Woodchuck type tool, be sure your sanding disc is properly aligned (square) with the frame, and make double sure the arrow shaft is straight. That will get you a good taper. If you use a sharpener-type taper tool, it may be impossible to get a good taper on a harder wood like that.
                              The next thing to check is if your arrows have a straight and properly tapered ferrule. Bears are hard to get straight. Zwickeys vary, the STOS I've used have all been perfect and easy. Being 11/32 at the back of the ferrule shouldn't matter.
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X