Just ordered 40 Honeysuckle plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just ordered 40 Honeysuckle plants

Just ordered 40 Japanese Honeysuckle plants. Really excited about getting these established at the ranch. Everything I've read about them as far as wildlife goes is beneficial. Extremely fast growing, produces tons of forage, can withstand heavy browsing once established, and has a protein content of 16-18%, and possibly higher when fertilized. Really looking forward to this project!!!

Better wrap em with big panels so they can establish.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotney View Post
      Better wrap em with big panels so they can establish.
      I am going to wrap them with steel wire mesh , approx 3ft diameter circle. and add chicken wire to keep deer and rabbits away. From what I've read getting them established is the hardest thing to do.

Also I am going to grow them out some. My ex-wife is a horticulture teacher ang has one big *** green house at school. She agreed to grow them out to half gallon /gallon pots so they have a large root ball
      Last edited by BrandonA; 02-27-2017, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Give us more details...cost, where you bought, and when to plant?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
          I am going to wrap them with steel wire mesh , approx 3ft diameter circle. and add chicken wire to keep deer and rabbits away. From what I've read getting them established is the hardest thing to do.

Also I am going to grow them out some. My ex-wife is a horticulture teacher ang has one big *** green house at school. She agreed to grow them out to half gallon /gallon pots so they have a large root ball
          I planted some 2 yrs ago and wrapped mine in 2x4 welded wire in 16" circle but only 3' tall. I would recommend going taller with the wire and larger diameter to get more initial growth. The heat was a concern here and I wanted more vine growth, so I planted in the shade of brush(mesquite or huisache). I am going to plant more this year with larger cages. All the ones I experimented with grew well. I bought them at Wally World in pots. Were not a bad price also. Good luck!

Comment

Following this one.

Comment

I just fertilized and filled my watering tank for mine. Going to add a few more to my feed pen next month.

The deer took to them really well last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                I planted some 2 yrs ago and wrapped mine in 2x4 welded wire in 16" circle but only 3' tall. I would recommend going taller with the wire and larger diameter to get more initial growth. The heat was a concern here and I wanted more vine growth, so I planted in the shade of brush(mesquite or huisache). I am going to plant more this year with larger cages. All the ones I experimented with grew well. I bought them at Wally World in pots. Were not a bad price also. Good luck!
                I am looking at 4 ft. And about 36-48" diameter. I am going to plant 30 of these along brushy fence line and the other ten on brush piles we were gonna burn, but now I want to see if I can get honeysuckle to take over them. Just by design they should flourish
                Last edited by BrandonA; 02-27-2017, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  Cost was right at $259. I will have to get to the office to tell you where. Planting time is spring. I'm having them shipped now so I can grow them out in Greenhouse a month.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                    Have the deer taken to them?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      Have the deer taken to them?
                      Yes they have and that is why I noted that my cages are to small in height/diameter. Basically they trim all the growth outside the cage. I was hoping they would vine onto the trees/brush I planted next to but so far the deer are getting all the new growth, so I will probable enlarge the growth cages a bit on these plants. No rabbit problems so far with the 2x4 welded wire.
                      IIRC I paid like $10 for the potted ones at Walmart.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                        https://www.gardenplantsnursery.com/ This is who I ordered from. I will probably plant sometime in March, depending on what size they are.

Comment

Great to know. I am surprised they do well here in S. Texas.

Comment

I've got one in my front yard, had it for 3 yrs, deer keep it trimmed down to about knee high. I'm going to have to put a cage around it someday, just have to work it in between my other procrastination goals. The deer like it and it holds up to some pretty heavy browsing and hot dry west Texas weather.

Comment

I'm gonna start planting some of these. Are the jap honeysuckle varieties the best bet? I was going to plant them around some smaller mesquites and cage them up, will this work?

Comment

Working...
                              X