Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Process of Aquiring a Suppressor....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know zero about the process of getting a suppressor so therefore I don't know what's good or bad advice.

Those saying bad advice has been given, please enlighten us on it and tell us good advice.

If it makes you feel superior because "you know something we don't know" you're not helping matters any. Dale started this thread to get answers to questions a lot of people have and for others to have something to research the steps to be taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
      I know zero about the process of getting a suppressor so therefore I don't know what's good or bad advice.

Those saying bad advice has been given, please enlighten us on it and tell us good advice.

If it makes you feel superior because "you know something we don't know" you're not helping matters any. Dale started this thread to get answers to questions a lot of people have and for others to have something to research the steps to be taken.
      I agree, I have no clue if something is write or wrong. If something is incorrect please quote it and either say the correct thing or at lease say this is questionable or something so those of us using this as a tool will know that it could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
        You can.
        Really? I was already going to have it transferred to the same dealer that has my can. I wasn't sure about it.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
          You can file as an individual, wait times for those have come way down. If you ever setup a trust later, you'd have to pay the tax stamp again for the trust to acquire it.

I went the trust route, Sean Cody did mine and it was just a few days to get it and have it completed.
          So the wait time with a trust is 9-12 months how long is the wait for an individual?

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
            So the wait time with a trust is 9-12 months. How long is the wait for an individual?
            Unless the person who's predicting your wait time for a suppressor stamp form that hasn't been filed yet is wearing a cloak and holding a crystal ball while stirring a pot of green goblin goulash, ignore their advice.

No one knows what the wait time will be if you file today. All anyone can speculate about is the user-generated data from this website: http://www.nfatracker.com/nfa-transfer-time-tracking/

Currently it looks like this, and shows that trust-based forms filed in April 2017 are just now being processed, meaning 9.3 month wait times for those folks, and individual forms are being approved from as late as July 31, averaging 5 months for people who filed in July.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 35remington; 01-04-2018, 02:38 PM.

Comment

SC set up my trust in Feb of 17. At that time I could not find a suppressor I wanted locally anywhere except AGR in Cypress and they would not run it because I was the only responsible party listed on the trust. Sean told me they are idiots but I didn't push it with them. Instead I went the Form 1 route and built my own with parts from Ronin. Not long after that Ronin and some others got in some stink with the ATF and stopped selling "solvent traps" but there are plenty of others that can be found online.

Anyway, I bought a good printing kit and rolled my own (I'm great at that) and submitted with my trust showing only me. Also sent one in for a SBR. Got my approvals mid November

Just putting this out there as another option. My cost for my suppressor build was under $250 and I'm happy with it. That includes a Yankee hill QD muzzle brake it mounts to. I don't have equipment to measure the levels but I can tell you it's not much louder than a .22 with supers and even quieter with subs. I'm probably gonna start another one here soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                SC set up my trust in Feb of 17. At that time I could not find a suppressor I wanted locally anywhere except AGR in Cypress and they would not run it because I was the only responsible party listed on the trust. Sean told me they are idiots but I didn't push it with them. Instead I went the Form 1 route and built my own with parts from Ronin. Not long after that Ronin and some others got in some stink with the ATF and stopped selling "solvent traps" but there are plenty of others that can be found online.

Anyway, I bought a good printing kit and rolled my own (I'm great at that) and submitted with my trust showing only me. Also sent one in for a SBR. Got my approvals mid November

Just putting this out there as another option. My cost for my suppressor build was under $250 and I'm happy with it. That includes a Yankee hill QD muzzle brake it mounts to. I don't have equipment to measure the levels but I can tell you it's not much louder than a .22 with supers and even quieter with subs. I'm probably gonna start another one here soon.
                Kinda thinking about going this route. I’ve already got a trust set up for one can, but am thinking of making one as well. What kind of printing kit do you have?

Comment

Following this for whenever I actually get a round to starting this...

Comment

Originally posted by jmw View Post
                    Following this for whenever I actually get a round to starting this...
                    Same here. I've always wanted a can, but always heard it was a huge hassle. I'm still not convinced that I need one. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tpepper70 View Post
                      Same here. I've always wanted a can, but always heard it was a huge hassle. I'm still not convinced that I need one. Lol

9 reasons you need one.....

1. Protects my hearing.
                      2. Protects my kids hearing.
                      3. Gets me follow up shots when culling does and hogs.
                      4. Reduces Recoil. I can see the bullet impact in the scope on the 6.5 Grendel.
                      5. Does not bother the neighbors when I am shooting.
                      6. Does not bother the blinds that are close to me when I shoot.
                      7. Deer and Pigs run away from the brushline as that is where the sound seems to come from.
                      8. Shooting a doe from a group of does.......the others will return to the feeder after the shot.
                      9. The animals do not start associating the deer blinds with "Danger" as no gunshots ever come from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                        9 reasons you need one.....

1. Protects my hearing.
                        2. Protects my kids hearing.
                        3. Gets me follow up shots when culling does and hogs.
                        4. Reduces Recoil. I can see the bullet impact in the scope on the 6.5 Grendel.
                        5. Does not bother the neighbors when I am shooting.
                        6. Does not bother the blinds that are close to me when I shoot.
                        7. Deer and Pigs run away from the brushline as that is where the sound seems to come from.
                        8. Shooting a doe from a group of does.......the others will return to the feeder after the shot.
                        9. The animals do not start associating the deer blinds with "Danger" as no gunshots ever come from them.
                        These all make sense, but I'm looking at costs. We all wear ear protection, so that is out, my neighbors are far away as I live way out, but the others are good reasons. I just don't know if they are worth the money. Heck, how much money are we talking about anyway? $300 plus? Sorry to hijack this thread guys, I'm new to these and trying to learn all I can.

Comment

These all make sense, but I'm looking at costs. We all wear ear protection, so that is out, my neighbors are far away as I live way out, but the others are good reasons. I just don't know if they are worth the money. Heck, how much money are we talking about anyway? $300 plus? Sorry to hijack this thread guys, I'm new to these and trying to learn all I can.

Here's all the proof I needed to validate why I bought a can 4 years ago. I knew it took awhile to get one in hand. Two weeks ago my grandson 9, who has never shot a rifle and I went out on his second hunt ever. Yes that is my fault, I know. We have shot plenty of BB guns and 22s with hearing protection. A hog came out late the first night. We could talk about getting the hog in the scope and lined up in regular voices in the enclosed box blind because we didn't have to wear hearing protection. I talked him thru the shot. He squeezed the trigger and a small crack from the gun the hog was down. He said "Was that it, did I get it". It was greatness. The next day he got his first buck. Its my avatar picture. I believe because of a great experience with no muzzle blast or much recoil from the night before he was very comfortable shooting the deer. Turkey season can't get here soon enough. He is ready to go back.
                          Last edited by Abcdj; 01-23-2018, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                            Here's all the proof I needed to validate why I bought a can 4 years ago. I knew it took awhile to get one in hand. Two weeks, my grandson 9, who has never shot a rifle and I went out on his second hunt ever. Yes that is my fault, I know. We have shot plenty of BB guns and 22s with hearing protection. A hog came out late the first night. We could talk about getting the hog in the scope and lined up in regular voices in the enclosed box blind because we didn't have to wear hearing protection. I talked him thru the shot. He squeezed the trigger and a small crack from the gun the hog was down. He said "Was that it, did I get it". It was greatness. The next day he got his first buck. Its my avatar picture. I believe because of a great experience with no gun blast or much recoil from the night before. Turkey season can't get here soon enough. He is ready to go back.
                            Getting rid of the muzzle blast massively helps kids.

Comment

And there’s the CDI factor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                                And there’s the CDI factor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Explain? CDI doesn't register in my vocabulary.

Comment

Working...
                                X