No announcement yet.

For those who use AR 15s for deer hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5G works wonders. The difference between 6.5 and 6.8 is sleek and sexy bullets vs short and squatty bullets. Lol. Really, not, much. I shoot a 6.5 and just built my nephew a 6.8. I think they're both great.
    Last edited by tpepper70; 01-05-2018, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Nice suppressor on your deer gun

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
        I build my own. I tend to spend more money on a barrel than most like to spend on their uppers. But I like match grade barrels and one shot group ARs.

After not wanting to wait on a lilja/Krieger/bartlein it'd be really hard for me not to go back to a satern on my next one for the $. It shot lights out

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
          After not wanting to wait on a lilja/Krieger/bartlein it'd be really hard for me not to go back to a satern on my next one for the $. It shot lights out
          Satern Cut barrels are what I use, not the Liberty.

You are right.......Lights Out!!!!!!!

Comment

So far I’ve killed 4 this year with the Grendel and 2 hogs it’s easily my favorite caliber to hunt deer with. I’ve also killed them with 223 and my ar10 in 260. I prefer the Grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
              You listed the worst of both worlds
              U ate alot of paint chips growin up,huh?

Comment

Originally posted by BaseKAM36 View Post
                whats the difference btween the 6.8 and 6.5
                The 6.8 has a slight ballistic advantage at the muzzle, but the 6.5 Grendel is a better designed round, better accuracy, more stable bullet. The 6.8 is good to around 300 yards, but does not have the accuracy that the Grendel has, after that the bullet design of the 6.8 starts to really show up. From what I have read, then from experience with other calibers. The 6.8 bullets are not very stable at longer ranges. The 6.5 Grendel is. Over all the Grendel is a better designed round, but at closer ranges, the 6.8 has better ballistics. If you do some research on the 6.5 Grendel, you will find, that they claim the Grendel has better ballistics at 500 yards, than a 308 Win. The bullets the 6.5 Grendel shoots have good ballistic coefficient.

Basically if I am correct, from my research, the 6.8SPC was created first, for the purpose of creating a AR round with a noticeable increase in power over the 5.56. But when the 6.5 Grendel came out and the two were compared at longer ranges, the Grendel won out pretty easily, both long range ballistics and longer range accuracy.

If you are only going to be shooting at ranges of 200 yards or less, the 6.8, will have the ballistic advantage, but for accuracy and longer range shots, the 6.5 has the advantage.

Comment

Not a 223 fan but love my 25-45

Comment

My buddy has the 25-45 he loves it. My price rage is right around a 1000 less would be better so the wife doesn't have a heartattack

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
                      Not a 223 fan but love my 25-45
                      One of my friends really wants a 25-45, have you used it on deer/pigs?

Comment

My buddy has the 25-45 he loves it. My price rage is right around a 1000 less would be better so the wife doesn't have a heartattack
                        If you already have an AR, all you need is a barrel, bolt and mags. That's less than $300 if you get a cheap barrel. Or just buy a complete upper at Academy for around $400.

Comment

Like others have said, the advantage to a 6.8 is it performs well in short barrels. I shot this 300lb Auodad with an 8" 6.8 using a 90 gr gold dot pushing 2450 fps. You will never see that kind of performance out of a short barrel in 6.5g or 300 blk. What the Grendel Fanboys aren't telling you is that their " increased range " comes at the cost of a 20"-24" barrel.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Comment

What should be the best barrel 16in 18in 20in

Comment

I have an 18" barrel 6.5G that is shooting my 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips just I've 2500fps. 16" barrels are shooting factory Hornady loads at 2400-2450fps, so, do the ballistic chart on that and you'll see that the short barrel 6.5G, 16"-18", work really well and long distances.

Comment

Depends on what you are doing with it primarily then what caliber secondary. Some calibers can get by with shorter barrels (full or close to full powder burn necessary to achieve velocity before barrel ends) and some like / need longer barrels .

I think desired use should be primary factor then caliber and length determined.
                                A lot if guys like shorter barrels for greater mobility ( myself included) , some like longer barrels in order to achieve full velocity of the bullet they are shooting.

I prefer mobility and don’t ever plan on owning an AR over 20” or a bolt gun over 24”.

As far as what AR barrel length, 18” is a decent compromise imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X