No announcement yet.

Broadhead Question (Sorry Long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All broad heads will kill. But personally I've never had or witnessed great (or even good) blood trails from muzzy and magnus stingers. They will kill the heck out of stuff but blood trailing was no fun with either of these heads.

Comment

Your double lung shot is why you had a lack of blood trail. When you fill a 5 gallon bucket up with a water hose, you don't get water on the ground until the bucket fills. Where they fall is where they filled. Of course you'll get some blood on the ground, but this little concept is exactly what is taking place. and just the same, all that soft internal stuff can pack a wound as well. Ever drained your cooler and something gets in the way of the drain? It happens in the field of anatomy as well...lol. Slicing that pump station is the blood trail you don't have to squint your eyes for......
      Last edited by BowPro73; 10-21-2015, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BowPro73 View Post
        Your double lung shot is why you had a lack of blood trail. When you fill a 5 gallon bucket up with a water hose, you don't get water on the ground until the bucket fills. Where they fall is where they filled. Of course you'll get some blood on the ground, but this little concept is exactly what is taking place. and just the same, all that soft internal stuff can pack a wound as well. Ever drained your cooler and something gets in the way of the drain? It happens in the field of anatomy as well...lol. Slicing that pump station is the blood trail you don't have to squint your eyes for......
        Not trying to start an argument, but I disagree on the blood trail part. As far as the bucket example your spot on, but I always aim and shoot for the lungs and I've always had a great, easy no bending over squinting blood trail. Now if you hit high lungs then yes it will be a little lacking, but a good center punch or low double lung, they will bleed like no other. I've seen a lot of heart shot deer go 75+ yards, because they can run until that heart fails to pump blood or runs out of blood. I've never had a double lung deer run further than 40 yards. The way I see it is, they can't run if they can't breathe.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          All broad heads will kill. But personally I've never had or witnessed great (or even good) blood trails from muzzy and magnus stingers. They will kill the heck out of stuff but blood trailing was no fun with either of these heads.
          this is very true. I shot 2 does so far this year with magnus buzzcuts and stinger. honestly didn't find any blood on either of them but they did both die quick and watched them both fall over dead.

they fly great- but I think im going to throw some rages on for better blood trails.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
            this is very true. I shot 2 does so far this year with magnus buzzcuts and stinger. honestly didn't find any blood on either of them but they did both die quick and watched them both fall over dead.

they fly great- but I think im going to throw some rages on for better blood trails.
            I've had much better blood trails with Landshark, SickTrick, and Rage. I like all 3 of those heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              I've had much better blood trails with Landshark, SickTrick, and Rage. I like all 3 of those heads.
              I have a dozen or so new rage hypodermic heads already I just haven't got around to using them. ill swap them all out before this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post

I never ever ever saw a blood trail from any Magnus broadhead, mine or any friends. If you want to shoot a Rage, you'll relly want to end up with a Swhacker.... soooo much tougher and effective. I made a little comparison video a while back...

A look at the concept between the Rage and Swhacker broadhead.

Comment

Agree with the above, all broadheads will kill with good shot placement. I have personally witnessed a doe killed with a field point that was shot through the lungs. It was an accident from a "guide" I know that grabbed the wrong arrow.

That being said I want a broadhead that performs even in the worst conditions. Sometimes the animal moves, sometimes we make mistakes.
                  I don't like mech broadheads because I am afraid of hitting bone or shoulder and not getting adequate penetration. I don't like shooting 2 blades because I am afraid of making a gutshot and want something that cuts a larger hole. Hopefully it will hit something important that a narrow 2 blade will miss.

I am currently shooting razor tricks because they make a decent hole and will penetrate pretty good. My wife is shooting a 4 blade zwickey because it penetrates extremely well and cuts a large hole.

After I buy a new bow this year I am going to try to shoot 4 blade eclipse heads. They don't look fancy like typical compound broadheads and they take work to sharpen but I can get them scalpel sharp and I don't have to worry about bent blades, poor penetration or a lack of cutting area. I am coming full circle back to traditional heads.

Comment

Has anyone used those expensive ones from solid broadhead? They look awesome but come at a price.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewski View Post
                      Has anyone used those expensive ones from solid broadhead? They look awesome but come at a price.
                      Those look like good heads, like a GK with bleeders. I may buy some of the 175's

Comment

Muzzy MX-3 and Slick Trick Magnum. Both have left pretty good blood trails and work great of deer and hog.

Comment

Working...
                        X