Cam lean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam lean

How much is too much bottom cam lean? Mathews solo cam, bottom cam (the one you cannot adjust.)

I measured my ATA distance and it was 30" on one side (guide rode side) and 30 3/16" on the other (opposite the guide rod.) The top idler was recently tuned to ensure no lean. the bow shoots great. My real concern is the angle the strings now come off the cam "appears" quite drastic and I wonder about potential for derailment... although I have put hundreds if not a thousand shots like this and am not sure how long it has leaned like this. I'm wondering if it is really just normal.

do you have a press? can you take the axle out and roll it to make sure its not bent?

Comment

No, I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by red View Post
        do you have a press? can you take the axle out and roll it to make sure its not bent?
        I don't see many bent axles.
        Look down the string from cam to idler, and it should be a straight line, or leaning slightly towards cable-rod/rollerguide.
        If leaning away from cable-rod/rollerguide, most likely a limb change is in order.
        If a bushing cam, instead of bearing cam, might install new bushings and fix.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
          I don't see many bent axles.
          Look down the string from cam to idler, and it should be a straight line, or leaning slightly towards cable-rod/rollerguide.
          If leaning away from cable-rod/rollerguide, most likely a limb change is in order.
          If a bushing cam, instead of bearing cam, might install new bushings and fix.
          I'm no bowtech, but I don't think it is a bent axle either. Taking another look, it just looks like what I would call "limb twist". The cam itself is pretty "square" to the slot in the limb.

The limb twists so that the cam leans away from the cable rod at rest like this if looking at the bow when drawing behind it.

|
          |\
          *|<-cable
          |/
          \
          bottom

Where the * is the nocking point.
          Last edited by SwampRabbit; 10-16-2013, 08:46 AM.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              I'm no bowtech, but I don't think it is a bent axle either. Taking another look, it just looks like what I would call "limb twist". The cam itself is pretty "square" to the slot in the limb.

The limb twists so that the cam leans away from the cable rod at rest like this if looking at the bow when drawing behind it.

|
              |\
              *|<-cable
              |/
              \
              bottom

Where the * is the nocking point.
              Is it a bushing cam, or a bearing cam?
              What bow?

Comment

You shooting a Reezen? Mine does it and the one my buddy had I noticed did it as well. I noticed it either last year or the one before and asked our shop, didn't seem real concerned about it and it hasn't blown up yet . From what it looks like on mine is limb twist like you say. Don't know if it is warped from the offset pull on the cam or what.

Comment

It is a Mission Venture.

Comment

It is a Mission Venture.
                    I'm not familiar with that bow.
                    Does it have bearings in the cam, or plastic bushings?

Comment

Not 100% sure, but looks like a bearing assembly inside the cam.

Comment

Not 100% sure, but looks like a bearing assembly inside the cam.
                        Probably is a bearing cam.
                        You have two possible fixes.
                        1- swap limbs from top to bottom, straightening twisted limb with harness, and hoping former top limb will carry the cam straight, or
                        2- If under warranty, get new limbs.

When I was a Mathews dealer, I didn't tolerate cam lean, and warranted several bows that other dealers claimed were fine.
                        An outside leaning single cam does not allow the bow to tune properly.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                          Probably is a bearing cam.
                          You have two possible fixes.
                          1- swap limbs from top to bottom, straightening twisted limb with harness, and hoping former top limb will carry the cam straight, or
                          2- If under warranty, get new limbs.

When I was a Mathews dealer, I didn't tolerate cam lean, and warranted several bows that other dealers claimed were fine.
                          An outside leaning single cam does not allow the bow to tune properly.
                          Luckily it is lifetime warranty so replacing the limbs is an option.

I am still curious how often do you see an outside leaning cam? I can see how some might consider it "normal" if it happens often; even thought that doesn't make it "right".

The odd thing is as is, my BH and feild points hit together from 10-30 yards (I haven't tried shooting past 30) and I have not observed any odd arrow flight (using the nocturnals to watch the flight pattern.)

Comment

Luckily it is lifetime warranty so replacing the limbs is an option.

I am still curious how often do you see an outside leaning cam? I can see how some might consider it "normal" if it happens often; even thought that doesn't make it "right".

The odd thing is as is, my BH and feild points hit together from 10-30 yards (I haven't tried shooting past 30) and I have not observed any odd arrow flight (using the nocturnals to watch the flight pattern.)
                            If you're comfortable with how your bow shoots, don't do anything.

Comment

Working...
                            X